Kusadasi/Ephesus House of the Virgin Mary souvenirs

I’m going to the House of the Virgin Mary in Ephesus and understand there is a small souvenir stand there. Does anyone know what they offer for sell? I’m trying to get a souvenir for my Catholic friends and wanted an idea of what was available. Thanks in advance for your help.

We were there 2 summers ago. From what I remember they had statues, religious icons,I think they had picture books and rosaries also. The gift area is to the right and the house is farther down and to the left. It is a tiny stone house. They had quite a lot of religious items packed into a small area. I really loved the atmosphere of the virgin mary's house. There were lots of tour buses & people but yet there was a hushed quiet reverence in the air. It was so sacred & we could feel something very powerful & calm. It did not feel touristy to me at all. We bought candles & prayed & drank the holy water. They say miracles can happen when you pray there it did for me.

They say miracles can happen when you pray there it did for me.

Praise God for your miracle, whatever it was. Thank You, Father.

Yes, it was an interesting visit - quiet and sacred for sure, and there was a nun sitting in a small chair there inside the house, just to help preserve the atmosphere.

In addition to what you might buy for your friends, you could also bring a small vial (or other small container) to fill with the holy water and bring that back for them as well.

I agree with the comment above that the site, whether authentic or not, is serene and peaceful; I am not Catholic but enjoyed the visit.

MedCruise20101214.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

turtles06,

Love your photos.

thanks,

Question: What time of year were you in Kusadasi?

looking at your photos at Ephesus, there were not many tourists?

We were there in early Sept in 2011, lots of folks.

We will be there again on Nov 3. I think there are only two ships in port that day.

will be going to Mary's House, Selcuk, Sirince this time.

Also, the picture of your stateroom on NCL are amazing.

I have only sailed Celebrity.

turtles06,

Love your photos.

thanks,

Question: What time of year were you in Kusadasi?

looking at your photos at Ephesus, there were not many tourists?

We were there in early Sept in 2011, lots of folks.

We will be there again on Nov 3. I think there are only two ships in port that day.

will be going to Mary's House, Selcuk, Sirince this time.

Also, the picture of your stateroom on NCL are amazing.

I have only sailed Celebrity.

Thanks so much for the kind words!

We visited the Mary House and Ephesus during our port call in Izmir on the NCL Jade. This was in early Feb. (2010). Yes, a winter cruise in the Med; great temps for visiting Ephesus and Egypt; chilly in Rome and the western Med, but we had a GREAT time; crowds obviously not as insane as during "the season." We were on a private tour out of Izmir (with Ekol Tours) and were able to beat the ship's big-bus-tours to the Mary House, and it was not at all crowded when we were there. But overall, not as crowded that time of year, period, and a Med cruise is not in such demand. (That's why we could afford that suite on the Jade! :))

We loved our first cruise on Celebrity, which was last year. We have two more booked!

Not Catholic, but we found this to have such a powerful atmosphere...peaceful and quiet in spite of the number of people. They sell the little bottles of water from the well that is there. They also sell the empty bottles that you can fill. I brought those back to my Catholic friends. People were pouring out their water bottles and filling them. They had the little bottles on sale in the gift shop on the ship the night we departed the port. It was a very interesting experience. Our guide was Muslim and explained to us that it is one of the rare places where the Muslims and the Christians both worship. They have a small little "gazebo" area with plastic chairs. It's a very humble spot. A very different experience from the Vatican.

quiet and sacred for sure, and there was a nun sitting in a small chair there inside the house, just to help preserve the atmosphere.

This made me LOL since I went to Catholic school, and the nuns preserved the atmosphere there too just by sitting in a chair.

Very much looking forward to our coming visit.

Archived