Getting from the Airport to the Port

sjmbruce

Trying to figure out whether or not to take a cruise through Alaska in May 2014. Our flight comes in Anchorage and we sail from Whittier.

It looks like it's an hour (!) from the airport to the port.

What's the best way to get to the port once our plane lands? And by the best I guess I mean the cheapest :)

Princess is offering transport for $54 a person, which seems steep but I can't imagine a cab being any cheaper. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Trying to figure out whether or not to take a cruise through Alaska in May 2014. Our flight comes in Anchorage and we sail from Whittier.

What's the best way to get to the port once our plane lands? And by the best I guess I mean the cheapest :)

Princess is offering transport for $54 a person, which seems steep but I can't imagine a cab being any cheaper. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

It's 60 miles on a two lane road. You'd be hard pressed to do it in an hour.

Thanks!

Sorry...but $54.00pp isn't that bad considering the logistics.;)

There are several independent companies that will provide bus transportation to compete with what Princess offers. Most will provide a narrated trip with a few scenic stops (if time is not tight). They pick up from the airport or major hotels and will come in a bit cheaper than what Princess charges. Probably in the range of $15 cheaper per person. Of course, if you use an independent company, Princess will not hold the ship for you if you are late. Take a look at your flight schedule and see if you think you are in any way cutting it close. If you are not, (and honestly, when sailing out of Anchorage/Whittier, you really should arrive a day before), then an independent provider should suit your needs and save you some money.

It's 60 miles on a two lane road. You'd be hard pressed to do it in an hour.

And let's not forget the tunnel. Even if you are making great time, if you have to wait for the tunnel to flip back in your direction, that could cost you up to another hour.

OP, in case you are not aware, the only way to drive from Anchorage to Whittier involves going through a five-mile tunnel that is a one way road. It services the train running from Whittier to Anchorage and back, and also serves the road traffic in each direction. But each of these travel methods and directions takes turns, and I think they alternate on the hour or half hour. So for example, if road traffic is allowed through in the direction of Whittier on the hour, and you arrive at the tunnel at five after the hour, then you turn your car off and wait 55 minutes until it is your turn again. This is not to suggest that driving is complicated or unworkable. But you have to have the timing down or else you could kill close to an hour sitting around doing nothing. The bus providers, (both Princess and independent) are well versed in the schedule and time it out so that your wait at the tunnel entrance is miminal.

And let's not forget the tunnel. Even if you are making great time, if you have to wait for the tunnel to flip back in your direction, that could cost you up to another hour.

OP, in case you are not aware, the only way to drive from Anchorage to Whittier involves going through a five-mile tunnel that is a one way road. It services the train running from Whittier to Anchorage and back, and also serves the road traffic in each direction. But each of these travel methods and directions takes turns, and I think they alternate on the hour or half hour. So for example, if road traffic is allowed through in the direction of Whittier on the hour, and you arrive at the tunnel at five after the hour, then you turn your car off and wait 55 minutes until it is your turn again. This is not to suggest that driving is complicated or unworkable. But you have to have the timing down or else you could kill close to an hour sitting around doing nothing. The bus providers, (both Princess and independent) are well versed in the schedule and time it out so that your wait at the tunnel entrance is miminal.

You have the timing wrong. If the tunnel opens in your direction at 1 pm traffic has until about 1:25 pm to enter the tunnel (allowing a couple of minutes for traffic to clear the tunnel) At 1:30 pm traffic from the other side will then have the next half hour to enter. Your wait should never be more than about 30-35 minutes if you time it wrong.

You have the timing wrong. If the tunnel opens in your direction at 1 pm traffic has until about 1:25 pm to enter the tunnel (allowing a couple of minutes for traffic to clear the tunnel) At 1:30 pm traffic from the other side will then have the next half hour to enter. Your wait should never be more than about 30-35 minutes if you time it wrong.

Yes, you are correct. I wasn't accounting for the fact that not all traffic enters simultaneously.

Archived