Tipping in specialty restaurants

luvinacruise

I thought I remembered reading somewhere here that the specialty restaurant waiters received a share of the daily service charge?

That is correct. The DSC is shared by all employees with the exception of officers, butlers, concierge and kid's club staff.

It isn't considered a tip, but you certainly aren't required to tip in specialty restaurants.

We will do so if the service is exceptional.

We treat it the same way, with the possible exception of when we receive complimentary meals. We always leave a few bucks when we are not paying for the meal no matter the service. But, typically if we are dining on a complimentary basis the staff knows this and seems to be just a little more on top of things.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere here that the specialty restaurant waiters received a share of the daily service charge?

Yes, they are part of the DSC pool for the restaurants staff.

The servers on ship are all part of the DSC distribution. Most who work in the specialty restaurants in the evening are working in the buffet or MDR for breakfast and lunch. The servers rotate around quite a bit.

As for tipping in a specialty restaurant I never understood why people feel obligated to do so yet feel no obligation while dining in the MDR. In my view the MDR servers often are working harder than specialty restaurants due to a larger number of diners.

We tip in both venues when we get good service, which is almost always.

• 3 months later...
When you do tip in a specialty restaurant, how much do you tip per person?

Also, do you dress more formally there?

thanks and happy new year

I don't eat in the MDR, I only eat in the Specialty restaurants when cruising with NCL. I will leave a $5 tip as I leave the restaurant. I tend to dress up more, but that certainly doesn't go for everyone. I've seen everything from jogging suits to men with baseball caps on (I will never understand why they don't take them off when inside) to those in t-shirts and shorts.

In the specialty restaurants, I always wear khakis/dockers with a collared shirt. However, with the exception of Le Bistro, which does not permit shorts, I've seen all levels of dress. The atmosphere in the specialty restaurants is purposely enhanced to provide a nice setting. Knowing that, and realizing other diners might be trying to be a bit dressier that evening, I try to look just a bit nicer than my usual self. I leave a $5 tip, although I have on occasion given $5 to both our server and maybe another server or wine steward who has helped make the evening especially nice.

For those that tip $5 in specialities is this for a couple or each person? We usually tip $20 for the 4-5 of us and wondering if this is an okay amount. Thanks so much and happy and healthy new year!

For those that tip $5 in specialities is this for a couple or each person? We usually tip $20 for the 4-5 of us and wondering if this is an okay amount. Thanks so much and happy and healthy new year!

That's a question only you can answer for yourself. As has been said before you don't need to leave a tip at all or you can tip as much as you want. Whatever is in your comfort zone.

Do I think it's an okay amount? Sure, plenty generous in my opinion.

Happy New Year to you also.

Mine is per person. I'm sure that your waiter is thrilled with what you tip.

Happy Nw Year!