Holland Amer; August 16, 2014! ques re Vanc/Vic/weather, etc.

cool cruiser 14107

Hi,

We're doing Holland America, August 16, 2014 :)

ports: Vancouver/Tracy Arm/Juneau/Skagway/glacier Bay/Ketchikan.

1. We're thinking of the 2 night Vancouver pre package; which includes 1 day in Victoria. Is this worth it? in terms of is there enough to see in Vancouver? I know there's Butchart Gardens in Victoria; but is there anything else worth seeing in Victoria? :confused:

2. I keep reading about wearing layers and the cold and rain in Alaska. At this time of year, August 16, it looks like it's maybe in the 60's; which almost seems like long pants/long sleeves and possibly a sweater weather? But maybe it's a lot colder than I imagine? are we talking sort of 'winter' type clothing even that time of year in Alaska? :confused:

3. I'm reading a lot of waterproof boots too! Is just a good pair of sneakers really insufficient for this type of cruise, even at this time of year? :confused: I was hoping to just wear sneakers on all the excursions. If we are doing mainly 'old people's' excursions, do I really need waterproof footwear? or is that suggestion mainly for those that are getting out there and hiking, etc.? :confused:

thanks!

I think I'm more concerned about the weather than anything!

thanks so much : ) :)

Hi,

1. We're thinking of the 2 night Vancouver pre package; which includes 1 day in Victoria. Is this worth it? in terms of is there enough to see in Vancouver? I know there's Butchart Gardens in Victoria; but is there anything else worth seeing in Victoria? :confused:

2. I keep reading about wearing layers and the cold and rain in Alaska. At this time of year, August 16, it looks like it's maybe in the 60's; which almost seems like long pants/long sleeves and possibly a sweater weather? But maybe it's a lot colder than I imagine? are we talking sort of 'winter' type clothing even that time of year in Alaska? :confused:

3. I'm reading a lot of waterproof boots too! Is just a good pair of sneakers really insufficient for this type of cruise, even at this time of year? :confused: I was hoping to just wear sneakers on all the excursions. If we are doing mainly 'old people's' excursions, do I really need waterproof footwear? or is that suggestion mainly for those that are getting out there and hiking, etc.? :confused:

thanks!

2) I will point out that the weather in Alaska this year has been very atypical. Layers are really the way to go. We've done Alaska in June and September and the weather was typically rainy/sunny/cold/windy and in the low 50s most days. An undershirt (thermal/long sleeved t/blouse) along with a shirt and/or a fleece or jacket is typical. Also, be sure to have waterproof raingear. The weather can change hourly anywhere in Alaska at any time of year.

3) We just use waterproofing spray (we got ours at Big 5) on our regular walking shoes. Unless you plan on extreme hiking activities, that would be sufficient.

Hi,

thanks!

No I never recommend the day trips for Victoria out of Vancouver. Always superior with at least 1 over night. Otherwise, scrap the "tour" and fly.

There is no way to predict any weather in Alaska, so, you certainly will be best pack a wide range of attire. I'm thinking you are going to want to be outside during your Glacier sailings? IF so, this is usually a cold area where you need those layers? I'm out with hat and gloves. IF you are going to be an "inside" only viewer then leave the warmer stuff home.

"Sneakers" if canvas are a poor choice. Leather ones with the waterproof spray are fine.

Hi,

thanks for replying! ok; so you went June & Sept. (prob. slightly cooler months than August?); and it sounds like you did 3 'good layers' in those months; good to know!

and did you think that was about average...most people are pretty content with that?

and no winter hats/winter coats/scarves/mittens?

I guess a water repellant jacket that can dry out every night is ok? or maybe not; you suggested waterproof raingear....ugh...I'd have to buy something.

Having grown up in New England, (where if you blink the weather changes), I guess I can't imagine it being much worse than a typical late fall/early winter day; except with rain?

REALLY good to know just sneakers are probably ok if we're not 'outdoorsy' people would be sufficient! because they are my only really comfortable ones.

thanks so much!

my prior reply was after I saw "shmoo here"; but now I see the "budget queen" reply also! thanks!

So you've been to Victoria...you're saying don't take the ferry day trip there but fly over to there from Vancouver? I really didn't want to do one nt. in Vancouver and 1 nt. in Victoria; too much changing of hotels...ugh...but HAL doesn't offer a flight over; I guess we'd just have to do it on our own.

hat and gloves you had...even in the summer? did you go July or August?

and you said:

"Sneakers" if canvas are a poor choice. Leather ones with the waterproof spray are fine.

even if we're not outdoorsy people? if so, good to know.

thanks! :)

Hi,

Victoria is the provincial capital of British Columbia, so there is much of interest. One of our favorite attractions is the Royal British Columbia Museum.

Southeast Alaska is part of the Pacific Northwest rain forest, so rain is certainly a possibility any month. Be prepared for rain, but you don't need winter coats of the sort used in a New England winter. But you do need a waterproof (not water resistant) outer layer under which you can layer fleece. A light knit or fleece hat and gloves are handy, but such items as mittens are too much.

And I find that June is generally warmer than August.

Hi,

thanks for replying! ok; so you went June & Sept. (prob. slightly cooler months than August?); and it sounds like you did 3 'good layers' in those months; good to know!

and did you think that was about average...most people are pretty content with that?

and no winter hats/winter coats/scarves/mittens?

I guess a water repellant jacket that can dry out every night is ok? or maybe not; you suggested waterproof raingear....ugh...I'd have to buy something.

Having grown up in New England, (where if you blink the weather changes), I guess I can't imagine it being much worse than a typical late fall/early winter day; except with rain?

REALLY good to know just sneakers are probably ok if we're not 'outdoorsy' people would be sufficient! because they are my only really comfortable ones.

thanks so much!

I have been in Alaska in August many times, including the last 3 weeks of August last year. As I mention, I always take hat and gloves for use at the glaciers. A good water resistant jacket, sprayed, is fine.

I do suggest two pair of walking shoes, in a typical Ketchikan downpour, a pair of shoes

can get soaked.

There is plenty to do in Vancouver to use up 2 days. Victoria is a great city, but you are going to wear yourselves out doing that as a day trip. Its almost 2 hours by ferry each way if you catch the ferry you are trying for, if you miss it then its more time waiting. I think its just too much for a day trip and would also say an overnight would be best. You could try flying, Harbour Air, Helijet and a few others fly over regularly.

For Alaska, I always take 2 pairs of Merrell (approach/hiking type) shoes because there is always a chance of soaking a pair. For a jacket I use a shell type waterproof sailing jacket and wear a hoodie or fleece and t-shirt under it.

Archived