Royal Vs NCL

What type of things specifically do you pay extra for on NCL that you don't on RCI?

tiessa, I see that you have posted on the NCL Boards too ...good move! I have cruised RCCL six times (starting with Song of America in 89) and NCL three times. I don't know what the extra charges refers to. I find the food in NCL's buffet and in the MDR to be equal to RCCL's. I have never had any sense of being "pushed" to the pay restaurants; no more so than RCCL's specialty restaurants. Food is *so* subjective, I can't depend on anyone else's opinion (except mine<G>).

Pizza on NCL is free. So, for that matter, is soft-serve ice cream ...

el henry

Are you referring to the $5 large pizza delivery to anywhere in the ship?

(I've never taken advantage of this, as kiddo just grabs slices in the buffet when she wants pizza.)

Yes. I'm not posting it as a dig on NCL. Just that there is pizza delivery with an up charge.

We always set the round turny thing by the door that says Do Not Disturb; Turn Down Cabin; etc.. and never had the problem you describe.

We did that too but it made no difference. They said they clean the rooms in the numerical order and half way through the cruise they switch and start from the opposite end. I'm not sure we always put the De Not Disturb out but they still should not be coming in without knocking or when they have no reason for being there.

We haven't sailed on NCL for a while... a few years back they were having financial problems and I decided we wouldn't sail with them until the problems were resolved. In August 2007, Star Cruises took the market by surprise when it sold 50% of Norwegian for $1 billion to US-based Apollo Management (owners of Oceania Cruises thus strengthening Norwegian's financial position. With those changes I again looked into Norwegian cruises. But, we like Main Dining room seating. Although on the Norwegian cruises we went on we were able to enjoy the dining of our choice... we did find that if you were not staying in a higher end suite you might get closed out of the more popular venues. Our butler tried to get us to book our dining choices for the whole week. We are more apt to book them the evening before or the morning of... and he sometimes had to do some work to get us in... we would be flexible... but I talked to many cruising with us that were in staterooms and were unable to get into many of the venues. Unless this has changed... and maybe on the NCL boards they can let you know... I wouldn't go unless I was in an upper suite. With all that said... we enjoyed the cruises on NCL. We especially enjoyed the Mexican Rivera -- and only did that cruise because NCL was the only line doing it at the time. We also LOVED our Hawaii cruise... but did it when the ship went to Fanning Island... which was a highlight of our cruise.

All that said.. if you want to give NCL a try... do so... maybe a short cruise at first... The Blessing is in the Journey!

What about the new Breakaway, I know it isn't Allure/Oasis, but would anyone recommend it? My kid would just love the waterpark area.

I have read too many negative comments about that ship. It seems like there are too many pax for the size. People who pay for the Haven love it, people that don't pay for the Haven say they wait on line for everything, get nickle and dimed for everything. Seems that the main dining room food is purposely sub-par to force people into the pay venues. Pool deck always crowded is also a major complaint, hour long lines for the ropes, etc. I spent a month reading the NCL boards before deciding against that ship even though I like the itinerary very much and would gladly travel up to NYC to bookend the trip.

With my opinion and a dollar you can buy a cup of coffee at McDonalds; I haven't been on the ship, so take it for what its worth. But reading enough of the same sort of concerns and complaints sealed the deal for me.

I've been on NCL Sky and although it wasn't my favourite cruise, I enjoyed myself. Although I'd like to be loyal to Royal, I'm contemplating doing the Epic next fall so I can afford to go to Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

You can't really compare cruise line to cruise line when they are so neck n' neck. It really is necessary to compare ship to ship.

There are so many factors that will impact what ships you will like and so many issues to consider. How you feel about an option may be completely different than someone who is trying to tell you what is best may feel.

Examples:

Freestyle/Anytime vs. set dining times (either line will accommodate either option if you ask).

Mega-ship vs. midsize ship vs. smaller vessel (which do you prefer?)

Food, in my opinion, is substantially more similar than different.

Entertainment just depends on your personal tastes...in my opinion, NCL has the better entertainment on the Epic with Cirque, Blue Man, Howl at the Moon, Legends in concert, etc. But, the knew Quantum of the Seas certainly has more on board to do than any NCL ship has.

I love the NCL Jewel Class ships. They are midsize, colorful but not gaudy, and they flow really well in my opinion. But, some people prefer a more toned down decor.

So it would probably be a lot more help if you identify what your preferences are and ask...what ships do you think have XYZ than asking for a unilateral what is better?

Your question is tantamount to a posting on a Minnesota Vikings Board who is better - Green Bay or Minnesota? ;) It would be the same on the other Board.

So instead of asking which is better, find out what you want and ask who has what you want. Food is going to be subjective...I've been to MANY restaurants upon the request of a good friend and quickly came to realize we are operating with completely different taste buds.

Probably the best thing you can do is try several different ships from both lines and just go with whatever pleases you most. You don't have to have brand loyalty either. You may love some of RCI ships and you may love some NCL ships. Neither has to know about the adulterous affair.

We haven't sailed on NCL for a while... a few years back they were having financial problems and I decided we wouldn't sail with them until the problems were resolved. In August 2007, Star Cruises took the market by surprise when it sold 50% of Norwegian for $1 billion to US-based Apollo Management (owners of Oceania Cruises thus strengthening Norwegian's financial position. With those changes I again looked into Norwegian cruises. But, we like Main Dining room seating. Although on the Norwegian cruises we went on we were able to enjoy the dining of our choice... we did find that if you were not staying in a higher end suite you might get closed out of the more popular venues. Our butler tried to get us to book our dining choices for the whole week. We are more apt to book them the evening before or the morning of... and he sometimes had to do some work to get us in... we would be flexible... but I talked to many cruising with us that were in staterooms and were unable to get into many of the venues. Unless this has changed... and maybe on the NCL boards they can let you know... I wouldn't go unless I was in an upper suite. With all that said... we enjoyed the cruises on NCL. We especially enjoyed the Mexican Rivera -- and only did that cruise because NCL was the only line doing it at the time. We also LOVED our Hawaii cruise... but did it when the ship went to Fanning Island... which was a highlight of our cruise.

All that said.. if you want to give NCL a try... do so... maybe a short cruise at first... The Blessing is in the Journey!

I am assuming that you are talking about the speciality reataurants. The only one which we found to be pretty solidly booked was the Teppanyaki (due to the very limited seating). Many times we were able to walk up to a speciality restaurant without a reservation. The only exception might be a holiday day.

I am assuming that you are talking about the speciality reataurants. The only one which we found to be pretty solidly booked was the Teppanyaki (due to the very limited seating). Many times we were able to walk up to a speciality restaurant without a reservation. The only exception might be a holiday day.

I'm sure you are right... like I said... been a long time since we cruised NCL... 2004... and I'm sure things have changed. I'm sure if they had a cruise going somewhere special... we'd book... but in a suite... because what I've heard... service from the suite level is still heads above regular staterooms. But.. maybe I've heard wrong.

I have sailed on NCL over 40 cruises, and have never experienced the difficulties that are posted here. Maybe I am just lucky, but I feel that if you are looking for a reason to dislike a cruise line, you will find it. On the other hand, if you are looking for a reason to like a cruise line, you will find that also.

That is the reason I do not read nor post reviews. I form my own opinions and vote with my wallet.

We did that too but it made no difference. They said they clean the rooms in the numerical order and half way through the cruise they switch and start from the opposite end. I'm not sure we always put the De Not Disturb out but they still should not be coming in without knocking or when they have no reason for being there.

No, crew should not be entering your cabin between clean-up and turn down. If you are in the cabin, and don't want anyone to enter, turn the knob for the deadbolt which should

prevent anyone from entering.

If this problem continues on your next cruise, tell the head of housekeeping or hotel director, while on board. They should get to the bottom of it.

I will be new to RCI in March, but I am platinum on NCL. DH and I will be aboard the Explorer with a group of friends, who are also gold or platinum on NCL.

Someone mentioned small main diningrooms on NCL ships. One is larger and more formal in decor, while the other is smaller and casual. The menus in both are similar.

In my opinion, the MDR food and service is very good. As on many cruiselines, food can vary from ship to ship.

NCL has one nice feature which I believe is missing on RCI. NCL opens one MDR for lunch on embarkation day. I wish that RCI would do the same, so passengers don't have to jocky for table space in the buffet while they might still be dragging carry-ons.

tiessa, I see that you have posted on the NCL Boards too ...good move! I have cruised RCCL six times (starting with Song of America in 89) and NCL three times. I don't know what the extra charges refers to. I find the food in NCL's buffet and in the MDR to be equal to RCCL's. I have never had any sense of being "pushed" to the pay restaurants; no more so than RCCL's specialty restaurants. Food is *so* subjective, I can't depend on anyone else's opinion (except mine<G>).

Pizza on NCL is free. So, for that matter, is soft-serve ice cream ...

el henry

Thank you. I didn't see anything I would be charged for that affected me so that's not an issue for me. In fact, I think I might try an NCL cruise if I can talk my friend into it. It will just be nice to try something different.

One thing no one has mentioned here is cabin size. We usually book a standard balcony cabin and I have found NCL to have smaller cabins in this category (not talking about Majesty or Monarch since they don't have standard balcony cabins). This is an important feature to us.

I have been on 12 RCL cruises and 2 NCL ones (and others on all the other mainstream lines except Carnival and Disney). As people have said, the two lines are similar. I'm not a foodie, but I was pleasantly surprised with my meals on the Star. Much better than I had expected after my experience on the Pearl. Service was OK, not outstanding on both of the NCL cruises. We have had some stellar service on RCL.

I would book an NCL cruise again if it was an itinerary that I REALLY wanted and no one else had it but I would go into it keeping in mind that you get what you pay for. Yes, their prices are usually lower but there is a reason for that.

Hopefully I can give an unbiased view as we have taken 7 night cruises in Europe with both lines within the last 4 months and have no favouritism for either line.

I agree with another poster who suggested the NCL cabins were smaller. We booked an inside cabin on each cruise, one on NCL Jade and the other on RCCL Navigator of the Seas. Navigator cabin was larger with more storage but the shower room on Jade seemed larger.

The two ships can't compare directly as Navigator is larger than Jade. We did find Navigator to be very busy particularly on the sun decks but as we are fairly early risers we found it easy to find a bed where we wanted (without reserving - we arrived , we laid down then when we left we took our towels etc with us). If we wanted to return later in the afternoon beds were again available. Jade was similarly busy and we didn't see any evidence of either line enforcing any "no reservation of sunbeds" rules.

We opted for my time dining on both lines and found it easier to get a table when we wanted by turning up at the door (usually asking for a table for two) with NCL (albeit with a 15 minute wait one night) whereas with RCCL the only option seemed to be to share a larger table, which we had to do the majority of nights.

The service was probably equivalent in the MDR on both lines. Somewhat sketchy with a lack of polish at times and both lines seeming to ask a lot of their waiting staff by giving them a lot of tables to serve which seemed to have them rushing around quite a bit.

We didn't book an speciality restaurants on either line and the quality of food in MDR with both lines was more or less the same although in my view RCCL seemed to shade it in the desserts area.

Cruising for the cruise companies is all about nickel and diming so we don't let it bother us on any cruise line - you don't have to take any of what is being pushed in your direction. Both lines were about the same in this respect.

We booked a 7 night wine package with both lines and they both seemed to offer value for money.

The friendliness of the staff and their willingness to please on both lines could not be faulted.

We arranged flights and transfers through both lines and everything went smoothly with both.

We did find the shows on NCL and entertainment generally to be better than RCCL.

Navigator is due for a refit soon and in some areas the decor was a little bit careworn and we didn't much care for the Hawaiian decor on Jade but having said that both ships are pretty well maintained.

RCCL try to push the more formal dress code however having taken a few cruises with RCCL it seems the guests are becoming less and less observant of the codes, dressing more casually on the formal nights. NCL are more or less completely casual throughout.

RCCL On our cruise offered complimentary tapas and sushi on alternative nights at set times in one of their venues and caviar in the champagne bar early evening so I guess that would be a plus.

Not sure what else I can offer up but if there is anything specific I will try to answer.

I have cruised on both (5 RCI & 3 NCL) and IMO both are really good. I am not sure they should be compared to as similar; I think they are apples and oranges. It totally depends on what you are looking for.

We cruised RCL before NCL and found it great at first but lately it was not so good....shorts and a 'cat in the hat' hat on formal night and it was acceptable, thread worn carpeting, damaged furniture and dirty walls in the cabins, and IOO the food quality had deteriorated, even in the specialty restaurants. We often said 'we paid extra for that'?, and the entertainment was just lame....the highlight entertainment on our last RCL cruise was a second rate Beatles cover band. We did not go to any of the shows that cruise because they did not seem entertaining. All of this sent us to look elsewhere. We were not getting the value we thought for what we were paying, which I believe RCL has increased prices.

We looked at NCL and thought we would give it a try. We loved it! I think we loved it because it was sooooo different. The ships were as good as our early experience with RCL, the food was good, but I think now that all cruise ships food is the same, even in the specialty restaurants. We loved the freestyle cruising I think because we were tired of the 'set' dinner time and rules not enforced when an upscale evening was expected (this also happened on other cruise lines too). The entertainment on the NCL cruises I have been on was fantastic!

In other words IMO I think we moved on from the old days when cruising was all very upscale and formal. IMO you cannot get upscale and formal experiences with the prices we now enjoy paying with these cruise lines; especially the food!

As someone else said, you get what you pay for; do not expect first class service when you have paid for coach.

We are trying RCL again this Feb; I am looking forward to it. IMO it is a different type of cruise than NCL.

Happy cruising all!!!:)

Can anyone give me some insight on how the 2 lines compare

Let's put it this way. After my recent Dawn cruise, I'm on another 10 year hiatus with NCL. Maybe the newer ships are better, but I suggest staying far away from Dawn if you are looking for a cruise comparable to what RCI delivers.

I sailed my first Royal cruise back in 2008.

I never booked a second one until recently, and I only booked it because it is a special cruise to be with friends.

I much prefer NCL (at this point)...maybe I will change my mind after my August cruise on the Serenade, but Royal is going to have to totally wow me to even come close to what I feel NCL provides in the way of service and entertainment.

I also think that the food I had on my one RCI cruise was my least favorite of any cruise I have ever taken.

I'm giving them another shot, and I am one who is thrilled to death about the new smoking policy which sets them up a notch, but the bar NCL set for us is pretty high.

Let's put it this way. After my recent Dawn cruise, I'm on another 10 year hiatus with NCL. Maybe the newer ships are better, but I suggest staying far away from Dawn if you are looking for a cruise comparable to what RCI delivers.

I guess we all look for different things on a cruise. I was on the Dawn in April and had an outstanding cruise.

I haven't been on RCI for a couple years so it is possible they have upped their game.

I'd book NCL again without hesitation.:)

Bill

Archived