Spencer's Jalousie Beach Break

Cairnmom

We just did Spencer's Jalousie Beach Break this past May and loved it and have to say it was one of our best excursions ever. Not only is the scenery beautiful, Spencer and his assistants (many are actually family members) were a lot of fun, intermingled with us and had us laughing. You will not be disappointed.

The snorkeling is very good. With Spencer's Jalousie Beach Break, you will be the first ones at Jalousie. You'll get first picks of the free loungers, which are located right in front of the snorkeling area. We waited for an hour before we actually snorkeled so the sun would be out over the snorkeling area and were able to see a lot. Tons of fish and some of the most colorful coral I ever saw. There still weren't many people there yet, so the water was still very clear and we could see a lot. As the day goes on, more people will show up from different tours.

The beach is beautiful!!! There is white sand that the resort has brought in but down by the water it's black sand and a bit rocky. There were a few vendors that showed up while we were there, but they never bothered anyone. If you are interested in what they are selling, then you need to go down to them. Several of us bought some really nice wood carvings (very reasonable prices) from one of the guys. There are also shops above the area were the free loungers are, but again, you need to go to them if you're interested in a purchase. There are restrooms that are kept clean. There is a resort there, Sugar Beach resort, that has a bar, but we had no need to go there since there were drinks provided.

Lunch was sooooo good. Spencer provides bbq chicken, potato salad, green salad, green banana salad (loved this), two different rice dishes, and there were 4 different types of root (taro root was one) and all were good. There is also an unlimited supply of bottled water, soda, rum punch and Piton Beer.

One thing we really liked was that Spencer and the gals working with him would make sure everyone got the pictures they wanted on the Sea Tour portion of the tour. Once you leave Jalousie Beach for the day, Spencer will take you along the coast to see different towns and landmarks. There were certain areas were it appeared that the people on one side of the boat had the best chance at pictures, but Spencer would actually turn the boat around so everyone had an opportunity to get the pictures they wanted. I had never been on an excursion where that was done, so I really, really appreciated that.

I'll post a few pics and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer as best as I can.

Snorkeling

IMG_02212.jpg

IMG_01812.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

The beach

100_6833.jpg

The area where the free loungers are at. They are under the trees but can be moved into the sun if you prefer. Spencer will get you there first, so you'll have first pics of those loungers.

100_6881.jpg

100_6853.jpg

I did this excursion in January of '12. I liked it so much, I am going again on the same excursion in early November. DH and I can't wait! I have no negatives to tell you about. It was a fantastic day!

• 1 month later...
Can anyone please tell me about the boat ride on this tour? Rough water, calm, etc. I have an elderly person in my group who is in great health but gets sea sick at times. Thanks!

It will vary depending on how the sea is the day you happen to be in port. Mainly, it is fairly calm (it is the Caribbean side of the island), and he goes relatively fast to skim across the waves, as opposed to going slower to go up and down with every wave. You can see the boat in the pictures from the earlier posts. Most people seem fine - you can always take some Dramamine or bonine or wear the sea bands, etc as preventative measures. It is much easier on someone with motion sickness than dealing with the roads here - that's for sure!

Enjoy your visit.

I don't know what happened to a few of my pictures, they just disappeared (???). But as reedprincess said, it will depend on how the sea is the day you're there. The Caribbean side the water is generally calmer. It was an enjoyable boat ride the day we were there. On the way back to the ship we get the "Sea Tour" and went slower in areas, even stopping, so points of interest could be pointed out for us.

Is it possible to skip Sulpher Springs? We went by there before and could not stand the smell. My question is how would this affect the tour? Is there much time on the beach? and are you going on the Nov. 10 cruise out of san Juan? that's when we are going and I am booking spencer I think

Is it possible to skip Sulpher Springs? We went by there before and could not stand the smell. My question is how would this affect the tour? Is there much time on the beach? and are you going on the Nov. 10 cruise out of san Juan? that's when we are going and I am booking spencer I think

I know that your question was directed at another poster, but I am on the Jewel out of San Juan on 11/09. My ship is in St. Lucia the same day (11/14) as Carnival Valor. Is that your ship? I believe that there are two other small ships in port that day. I am booked with Spencer for the Jalousie Beach Break. It will be my 3d time in St. Lucia and my 2nd time with Spencer. I am really looking forward to it!

I'm not sure who this question if for either but I can answer some of the questions. On Spencer's "Jalousie Beach Break", you'll get a total of four hours at the beach, which leaves plenty of time for snorkeling (I recommend earlier snorkeling before other tours arrive for better visibility) and time to enjoy the beauty of the beach. On boat ride to Jalousie Beach, we went directly to Jalousie Beach and passed an area where we could smell sulfur (the rotten egg smell), but the smell wasn't overpowering. On the boat ride back to the ship when Spencer gave the "Sea Tour", we went a little closer to the coast and I think it was near the town of Canaries where we could see the "steam/smoke" around one of the mountains but that smelled more like fireworks than rotten eggs. Again, it wasn't overpowering and we weren't there that long. I don't know if that area is where Sulfur Springs is or if Sulfur Springs is the name of the "drive-in" volcano. On Spencer's "Land and Sea Tour", they do stop at the drive-in volcano and there is about an hour (maybe an hour and a half) at Jalousie Beach.

Yes we are on the valor and we will be there11/14! This time We booked the land and sea tour with spencer but he did agree to skip sulpher springs. About five years ago we toured the island and we could not wait to get out of there the smell was horrible! We drove right through it but did not take a mud bath so we had more time at the beach! The beach and the island are amazing!! So beautiful, I wish I had a week there! How could you tell how many ships are in port?

How could you tell how many ships are in port?

Check the SLASPA website. The cruise schedules are found there. Looks like 3 ships in port that day, Valor (3400 pax), RC Jewel(2500) and Regatta (800) Typical day, not overly crowded really. Enjoy your visit.

Yes we are on the valor and we will be there11/14! This time We booked the land and sea tour with spencer but he did agree to skip sulpher springs. About five years ago we toured the island and we could not wait to get out of there the smell was horrible! We drove right through it but did not take a mud bath so we had more time at the beach! The beach and the island are amazing!! So beautiful, I wish I had a week there! How could you tell how many ships are in port?

I checked the cruisett website for ships in port. We will see you on the beach. We are on Jalousie beach break on 11/14. Look for a really tall guy (6'5") dark hair ( my DH). I am medium height and dark hair. We are both in our mid-forties. He will likely be face down in the water, snorkeling. I will be on a lounge chair with a drink in my hand!

Archived