New Ship Name - Olympia or Britannia

gstewart

Somebody currently on Aurora has been told that Adonia will be going to Cunard - will they change her name?

Not many other queens they can name her after really, only Anne springs to mind. Cant imagine Cunard having a hand me down though.

Somebody currently on Aurora has been told that Adonia will be going to Cunard - will they change her name?

That's not quite what was said Jean. Someone said they had been told Adonia may be leaving P&O.

It was I that said there were rumours Cunard was looking for a small ship so perhaps they might go for Adonia. Not all Cunard ships were Queens - what about Caronia - and she was second-hand to them too.

My money is on Britannia for the new P&O ship, even though it is an historic Cunard name.

That's not quite what was said Jean. Someone said they had been told Adonia may be leaving P&O.

It was I that said there were rumours Cunard was looking for a small ship so perhaps they might go for Adonia. Not all Cunard ships were Queens - what about Caronia - and she was second-hand to them too.

My money is on Britannia for the new P&O ship, even though it is an historic Cunard name.

Those ships have been passed from pillar to post. I think Adonia would look good with the black hull and red funnel of Cunard though.

If your money is on Britannia, I'll go for Olympia. Kind of fits in with the fact that all ships in P&O's fleet begin with an "A" or an "O" and end in an "A" (apart from the odd one out - Ventura).

It'd be nice if they moved Adonia to P&O Australia. The current deck plan lends itself nicely to the deck plans of the other ships in the fleet and would only require aesthetic changes to bring it into line. I'd love to have one of these small ships sailing in Australian waters year round.

Well I hope they don't ditch Adonia too soon as I am booked in spring 2015 !! If true it signals where P&O intend to go - bigger and bigger ships. If they do it will be goodbye P&O from me - hello Oceania or Fred or something similar. I like a ship to look like a ship and feel like a ship. Not a floating all inclusive holiday camp.

The "Godmother" of Royal Princess (as Artemis was originally named) was Diana, Princess of Wales.

In Roman mythology Diana was the "Swift Huntress"

Her equivalent in Greek mythology was Artemis.

Someone at P&O in those days had the benefit of a classical education.

• 2 weeks later...

I would lean more to the name Britannia for the new ship. It is a traditional P&0 name and the only one that has not been recycled from the Jubilee class of ships in 1887. The others being Oceana, Victoria, and Arcadia. However, that being said IF the Adonia is POSSIBLY leaving P&O it would be likely that Adonia would become the Britannia for Cunard and the new P&O ship named Olympia. Hence the recent registering of the 2 names by Carnival UK.

Sorry Sharon, I stand corrected.

Me too on the bigger ships. although I am about to book Oriana for 2014, I have reasons for that and we also want to do US/Canada which would have to be Aurora as 32 days with Fred is too long. After that it will be Fred or the smaller ships with P&O

These bigger ships are not for me.

Not strictly true. Caronia was formerly the Vistafjord, built for the Royal Viking line, and came to Cunard with the Sagafjord and Royal Viking Sun when they bought the company.

I don't like either of these names for P&O ships, even though they may have antecedents. To me they're too reminiscent of the White Star ships Olympic and Britannic.

Given a choice I'd like to see Iberia re-used - the last one was a 1950's era ship, sister to Arcadia (II) and near-sister to Chusan and Himalaya. Those last two names probably wouldn't be acceptable today, but Iberia would be, and would even be relevant - both historically and today, P&O ships often sail to ports in the Iberian peninsula.

I don't like either of these names for P&O ships, even though they may have antecedents. To me they're too reminiscent of the White Star ships Olympic and Britannic.

Given a choice I'd like to see Iberia re-used - the last one was a 1950's era ship, sister to Arcadia (II) and near-sister to Chusan and Himalaya. Those last two names probably wouldn't be acceptable today, but Iberia would be, and would even be relevant - both historically and today, P&O ships often sail to ports in the Iberian peninsula.

I agree.

What next, Titania?! References to the original White Star Line ships should be left to remain in the history books with their legacy.

They certainly don't make them like they used to...

Not strictly true. Caronia was formerly the Vistafjord, built for the Royal Viking line, and came to Cunard with the Sagafjord and Royal Viking Sun when they bought the company.

I realise that but Caronia is an old Cunard name - Vistafjord was the third Caronia.

You would think that P&O will be close to making the announcement and giving us more details about the ship soon.

Some things we do know from experience of Royal Princess is she will have smaller balconies and no wrap around promenade deck. Her atrium will be stunning if it's anything like her sister ships though.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Congratulations!

Despite my earlier comment, and having given it more thought, I actually think it's a perfect name. I wonder who will be launching her when she's completed...?

Well, it will pretty obviously be SHARON :)

Archived