Png

icat2000

I believe that most, if not all, Australians have been appalled by this crime. Australian governed PNG until it gained independence (around 1976) so many Aussies have worked there or have family members who have done so. Australia pours a lot of aid money into PNG and there are still close links. Most Aussies are quite aware of the local situation but I can understand that this would not be known in other parts of the world.

I do not believe an attack like this could happen in Sydney (as someone previously said).

I am sure the photograph of the men was a file photo taken previously of a gang similar to the one responsible for this atrocity.

Hearing interviews with the survivors makes it even more horrifying. Two PNG porters were slaughtered and others were so badly injured, it is unlikely they will ever walk again. The Australian survivors praised the ex-pat tour leader who they say put her own life on the line to save theirs. They want to set up a Foundation to raise money for the PNG survivors and for families of the dead.:)

Agreed, it is shocking what happens abroad for what we see as seemingly trivial matters but to the perpetrators is a very serious matter and to the victims a quite often lethal matter. The survivor's lives will be changed forever.

I am sorry if I gave the impression that I was not horrified by the attack in Wau.

However what I intended to do was to balance any over reaction. We have reports of serious violence in Sydney daily..maybe not with machetes but deadly just the same. Obviously in a place like PNG you need to take sensible precautions but please don't let it stop you from considering it as a destination. It is a wonderful place but still a wild frontier where personal safety should be a consideration.

Sue

Archived