snorkeling on Sapphire Beach the best?

PeanutBudder

From all the reading I have done, it seems like Sapphire Beach is favored for snorkeling.....agree/disagree? If so, is there a reputable company/person to book snorkeling with?

We loved snorkeling at Sapphire in april. You snorkel right off the beach. Bring your own gear or rent right there. No need to book anything.

We saw tons of fish, coral and 2 turtles also my husband saw a string ray. I have a review in this forum of Sapphire if you want to look at some pictures.

We loved snorkeling at Sapphire in april. You snorkel right off the beach. Bring your own gear or rent right there. No need to book anything.

We saw tons of fish, coral and 2 turtles also my husband saw a string ray. I have a review in this forum of Sapphire if you want to look at some pictures.

We have never snorkeled before....when you rent, can you hire someone to teach/guide? Sounds amazing!

Yes, for off-the-beach Sapphire would be the beach of choice for both St Thomas and St John. For snorkeling off a boat there are other options including the cays off the coast of St John. But Sapphire offers exceptional snorkeling with a reef and a separate sea grass area and you can snorkel in shallow or deeper water as your experience fits.

No need for a tour company just taxi there on your own, $9 - 11 taxi depending on your port. Sapphire is home to 3 condo resorts, the resort restaurant has been closed for some time due to maanagement issues but there are great food and drink options as you've probably read. And the water colors and island views are very nice.

Mitsugirly also has a detailed review posted with pictures of her visits to Sapphire.

Enjoy!

Not awesome but arguably the best off-the-beach option. Pinkiesue, Mitsugirly, I took the liberty of posting links to your threads for the OP.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1280889&highlight=sapphire

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1837188&highlight=sapphire

Peanut Butter there are no instructors at Sapphire. The dive center staff will give you basic instructions in using the equipment that you rent there, and also direct you to the best areas for a beginner. And some of the condo owners that are snorkeling will be happy to help you to get started.

Some novice snorkelers like Coki Beach because there are fish near the shore and many ppl feed them to attract them. But most who have been to Sapphire find there are also great spots in shallower water there and it is much less crowded than Coki.

Sapphire is generally a nice calm bay but can sometimes be a little rough when there's a sea swell. Secret Harbor is another option and is a small, well protected bay. Many go there to snorkel as well so compare the 2 by reading reviews from snorkelers here and on tripadvisor. All of these beaches are on the East End and about the same taxi price and have snorkel gear for rent. The dive center at SH is better than the others and may also offer more instructions.

Another option if time allows is a daysail with one-on-one instructions (Yacht Nightwind out of Sapphire, for example).

Not awesome but arguably the best off-the-beach option. Pinkiesue, Mitsugirly, I took the liberty of posting links to your threads for the OP.

Peanut Butter there are no instructors at Sapphire. The dive center staff will give you basic instructions in using the equipment that you rent there, and also direct you to the best areas for a beginner. And some of the condo owners that are snorkeling will be happy to help you to get started.

Some novice snorkelers like Coki Beach because there are fish near the shore and many ppl feed them to attract them. But most who have been to Sapphire find there are also great spots in shallower water there and it is much less crowded than Coki.

Sapphire is generally a nice calm bay but can sometimes be a little rough when there's a sea swell. Secret Harbor is another option and is a small, well protected bay. Many go there to snorkel as well so compare the 2 by reading reviews from snorkelers here and on tripadvisor. All of these beaches are on the East End and about the same taxi price and have snorkel gear for rent. The dive center at SH is better than the others and may also offer more instructions.

Another option if time allows is a daysail with one-on-one instructions (Yacht Nightwind out of Sapphire, for example).

Thanks Blue Water

I didn't know how to do that.

Thank you so much...I will read a bit later today. No one in our family has ever snorkeled before and my kids are only 6 and 8, so I am thinking we might need to book a daysail to get some one on one instructions.

Thank you so much...I will read a bit later today. No one in our family has ever snorkeled before and my kids are only 6 and 8, so I am thinking we might need to book a daysail to get some one on one instructions.

Be careful with a daysail snorkel trip. Some boats stop over a reef and you need to climb down a latter or jump into 20-30 foot deep water. Being a novice and with kids I would go to Coki Beach and just walk into the water. You can just stand in waist deep water and put your face with mask into the water and see the fish. The attendant on the beach has fish food to help attract the fish.

Archived