Epic or Pearl

hpecorari

Okay.....okay.....

I know no one can make up my mind for me but I am looking for your thoughts.

I've been on the Epic before as well as the Pearl.

For the Pearl I would be getting an Aft Mini Suite for an 11 day cruise.

For the Epic I would be getting a penthouse for a 7 day cruise.

However.....with the Epic I'd have to share a bed with my SIL.....and we usually always like our own beds!

The Epic is only 7 days, have to share bed but has suite perks.

The Pearl is 11 days, each have our own bed but no suite perks.

As Platinum Latitude I know I have some perks right there.

So......

11 day and each our own bed.....

or

7 day and share a bed but get additional perks (love the perk of breakfast and lunch!)

Decisions.......decisions!

Harriet

I think 11 days with no suite perks trumps 7 days with suite perks. That's 50% more cruising time. Perks are great, but when you wake up on day 8 and you're still on the ship you'll forget about butlers and lunch in Cagneys

I think 11 days with no suite perks trumps 7 days with suite perks. That's 50% more cruising time. Perks are great, but when you wake up on day 8 and you're still on the ship you'll forget about butlers and lunch in Cagneys

Thanks Mike, I'm leaning towards this way as well.....

my SIL, otoh, is leaning the other way! LOL

Harriet

Okay.....okay.....

I know no one can make up my mind for me but I am looking for your thoughts.

I've been on the Epic before as well as the Pearl.

For the Pearl I would be getting an Aft Mini Suite for an 11 day cruise.

For the Epic I would be getting a penthouse for a 7 day cruise.

However.....with the Epic I'd have to share a bed with my SIL.....and we usually always like our own beds!

The Epic is only 7 days, have to share bed but has suite perks.

The Pearl is 11 days, each have our own bed but no suite perks.

As Platinum Latitude I know I have some perks right there.

So......

11 day and each our own bed.....

or

7 day and share a bed but get additional perks (love the perk of breakfast and lunch!)

Decisions.......decisions!

Harriet

I do not know who at NCL to check with, but we have found, most of the King Beds in NCL suites are two twins placed together.

When we arrived on our second cruise, it was set up with two twins, our butler had it fixed quickly and mentioned that most King beds are actually two twins.

I do not know who at NCL to check with, but we have found, most of the King Beds in NCL suites are two twins placed together.

When we arrived on our second cruise, it was set up with two twins, our butler had it fixed quickly and mentioned that most King beds are actually two twins.

I think the Epic penthouse is the one oval bed that cannot be split apart

penthouse-4744.JPG

ok..so waffling a bit. I think 11 days always trumps 7 days as long as you're in a nice room, but have to remember that the suites on Epic give you axcess to the haven, the Epic Club, and Posh.

Ok...still 11 is better.

right?

right?

You'll also have more privacy in the Pearl mini...and AFT, which people love. The penthouse doesn't have a door for the toilet, only a curtain, if the above picture is right. The Pearl has a full bath with tub. You'll also be playing footsie at night in that curved bed.

:D:p

Ok..I've come back. Pearl for 11 days still :)

This is true on most ships, however, the Epic has round beds in the suites.....and they don't separate.

Harriet

ok..so waffling a bit. I think 11 days always trumps 7 days as long as you're in a nice room, but have to remember that the suites on Epic give you axcess to the haven, the Epic Club, and Posh.

Ok...still 11 is better.

right?

right?

You'll also have more privacy in the Pearl mini...and AFT, which people love. The penthouse doesn't have a door for the toilet, only a curtain, if the above picture is right. The Pearl has a full bath with tub. You'll also be playing footsie at night in that curved bed.

:D:p

Ok..I've come back. Pearl for 11 days still :)

LOL - Right!

Don't like the idea of having to sleep with SIL. Every night I'm gonna say to myself, "Self, why the hell am I sleeping in the same bed?"

Love the idea of the Epic suite perks....but on 7th day I'm going to be saying to myself, "Self, why the hell am I leaving the ship?"

11 day vacation is still an 11 day vacation and I think it trumps 7 days with perks.......yea, thinking it does! LOL

However, I'm gonna call CAS and see if they'll bump me up to a Penthouse on the Pearl.....if not, the Aft mini is still nice!

Harriet

::who will be saying to myself every breakfast and lunch, "Self, why am I eating here instead of Cagneys!" LOL

I also vote for 11 days on the Pearl. I think the breakfast/lunch in Cagney's is great but I know from experience that I don't want to do it every day. The menu does not vary and I got tired of trying different ways to change it up and found myself heading to other venues for those meals at least half of the days on my last cruise.

::who will be saying to myself every breakfast and lunch, "Self, why am I eating here instead of Cagneys!" LOL

I think you can overcome this. The MDRs are nice for breakfast and lunch. You can also have lunch at the Noodle Bar, or have Sushi, and even take in a luncheon special at Teppanyaki. I think you can overcome the Epic Club breakfast/lunch issue (they don't use Cagneys for suite lunches on the Epic)

Oh my gosh. That would be such a hard decision. The Epic is by far our favorite ship so far with NCL. There's just so much to do on it and she's so unique. I would love to go on her again.

The Pearl, well I honestly have to say it's probably my least favorite NCL ship so far. I'm not sure why. It just didn't have that "wow" factor for me. (But it wouldn't stop me from booking her sister ships-since I'm booked on the Jewel in 3 months knowing that it's about the same as the Pearl but actually has less amenities). :D

However, any cruise is a good cruise and if it's longer for the same price, I would probably pick the Pearl. It would be hard though. I guess it would probably come down to the ports I would be going to in order to seal the deal for me. :)

I thought it meant son-in-law.

It's all very confusing trying to work out who is sleeping with who.

LOL - Okay, I'd rather sleep with my sister-in-law than my brother-in-law.

Okay......Actually, I'd NEVER sleep with my son-n-law.

However, SIL does stand for sister-in-law. :)

Harriet

Oh my gosh. That would be such a hard decision. The Epic is by far our favorite ship so far with NCL. There's just so much to do on it and she's so unique. I would love to go on her again.

The Pearl, well I honestly have to say it's probably my least favorite NCL ship so far. I'm not sure why. It just didn't have that "wow" factor for me. (But it wouldn't stop me from booking her sister ships-since I'm booked on the Jewel in 3 months knowing that it's about the same as the Pearl but actually has less amenities). :D

However, any cruise is a good cruise and if it's longer for the same price, I would probably pick the Pearl. It would be hard though. I guess it would probably come down to the ports I would be going to in order to seal the deal for me. :)

Actually, the cruise is being comped by CAS and we only have to pay port charges, tax. Nothing is ever going to cost the same for more days, however, the additional it will be costing us is to go for 11 days over 7 days is about $112.00 more per person......and really, where can one go for hotel, food, entertainment, etc. for $112.00 pp for 4 days?

As far as the ports - We've been to every Caribbean island already.....more than once......so the ports really don't matter to us as we can always see another part of the island or just enjoy the day on the ship whilst most passengers are on the island!

However, we did make up our minds and have decided :)

Harriet

Okay, I pulled rank. LOL

We're going on the Pearl for the 11 day. Each with our own bed. In an aft balcony.

I tried batting my 'phone' eyelashes to my CAS rep for an aft penthouse balcony but he said he could only do that for a 7 day cruise.

All in all......I'm very happy!

Harriet

Okay, I pulled rank. LOL

We're going on the Pearl for the 11 day. Each with our own bed. In an aft balcony.

I tried batting my 'phone' eyelashes to my CAS rep for an aft penthouse balcony but he said he could only do that for a 7 day cruise.

All in all......I'm very happy!

Harriet

Should be aft mini suite

I've been on both ships. Love the Pearl buffet.

I've stayed in a few NCL suites (though not on Epic or Pearl). I also greatly enjoy the breakfast and lunch perk. However, I've decided it's not worth an appreciable price difference. For example, $1,000 difference between suite and balcony cabins.

If I had the vacation time, I'm all for a longer cruise. As a cruise addict, I appreciate the extra time aboard.

Further, my choice would be longer itinerary in a balcony cabin (admittedly, not aft) and additional specialty restaurant dinners (beyond the Platinum perk).

Archived