Lamanai Ruins

kcbmarek

How long are you scheduled to be in port?

I realize that some cruise ship excursions do seem expensive, but for Belize that may well be your best way to go to Lamanai. It's an ALL DAY affair, 6-7 hours from the tender pier and back. If you do this on your own, you'll need to be sure that you'll have enough time (in port at least 9 hours). Last tenders leave the pier for the ship around an hour before sailing time.

I think Belize crusie Excursions runs these tours for the various cruise lines at around $75pp. I don't think you can book independently but they have a website you can google and then inquire.

There are threads on this board from people who have taken independent tours to Lamanai. You should search for them and read them.

How long are you scheduled to be in port?

I realize that some cruise ship excursions do seem expensive, but for Belize that may well be your best way to go to Lamanai. It's an ALL DAY affair, 6-7 hours from the tender pier and back. If you do this on your own, you'll need to be sure that you'll have enough time (in port at least 9 hours). Last tenders leave the pier for the ship around an hour before sailing time.

I agree with this. I generally dislike ship's excursions but this is definitely one tour that I would pay the nosebleed prices and take through the ship.

The last time we were in Belize we took the ship's excursion to Lamanai. We were on the first tender off the ship in the morning and the last tender back to the ship in the afternoon. To get to Lamanai, we had to take a longer, roundabout-route to the landing where we transferred to the boat that took us up the river. (Several of the bridges had washed out due to a tropical storm that had come through the region about a month before we were there.) On the way back down the river our boat started having engine problems and we had to transfer several passengers in the middle of the river to a second boat to take the strain off the engine. We returned to the port late and found that they had held the last tender for us.

Edited by polySeraph

Doing my first Mayan ruins tour in Oct. Have been to Belize many times before but never have done these ruins. Because of the length of the tour, I have decided it is better to book thru the ship as you won't get left behind in a foreign country. Belize is the only port that I have reservations about booking thru a private tour operator.

Can't wait to experience this tour. NCL is charging is $109 which includes lunch. It is well worth the extra cost to have that peace of mind that the ship will wait for us.

With 9 hours in port you should be okay; but I have to agree that going with the cruise line is probably a better choice.

A couple of years ago we went to Lamanai. Since we had 8 hours I booked with a private vendor.

First we had to wait for people from another ship. Then we got to the edge of the city and had to wait again for two more people who were so late that they drove them out separately. When we got to the river we had to wait again for them to prepare the boat, but I still thought we were okay and enjoyed the ruins. However I got very nervous when, as we were boarding the boat to return, a couple decided that they needed to use the restrooms and disappeared for 20 minutes. At that point I knew there was a good chance we would be late. Our guide reassured us that he called the port and they would wait plus I knew that the last tender in Belize rarely leaves on time, but I was miserable the whole ride back.

When we arrived back at the port about 5 minutes late, there still was a line for the tender. We boarded the tender and then waited for 45 minutes for other passengers. I asked the officer why we were waiting so long and he said that the Belize officials would not let the last tender leave until everyone they knew of was back.

Yes, we got back, but it was not worth the stress which is why I recommend going with the cruise line.

We did the Lamanai Tour through our ship. It's one of 2 ship excursions we've ever taken as we arrange most tours on our own. We're glad we did the ship's tour here.

Once at the Belize pier we were greeted with a nice Welcome sign. There are only a handful of shops at the pier. I am guessing there were about 90 folks on this tour. We were herded onto 1 of 3 air conditioned buses. Whatever bus you get becomes your tour group, and included a guide that not only narrated the bus tour and answered our questions but also drove our boat on the jungle cruise and lead our excursion of the ruins. Our experienced guide was Vel, and he was breaking in a very pretty young guide-in-training that joined us for the duration of the tour. Our guides were very friendly, knowledgeable, and proud of their country.

Belize is a poor country with great natural and historical assets. One idiot on the bus asked "Why are there bars on the windows of houses?" during an otherwise interesting Q&A about the country. (Answer: they have a crime problem related to a "crack" problem). The housing and habitat reminded us a lot of Waimanalo on Oahu (sans the bars). We learned a lot about the city and country on our 1.25 hour bus tour over a paved 2-lane road to the boat dock. [side note: from visible signage along the road it appears Pepsi "controls" the less populated part of the country while Coca-Cola "owns" Belize City itself]. Each bus unloaded their groups into a large thatched roof building sporting restrooms and a couple of artisans. Within a few minutes we were loaded onto covered boats with comfortable seats and two powerful outboard motors.

We snaked South down the river to the Lamanai Ruin site. Our guide plying us with information and pointing out numerous birds (including King Fisher, Blue Herrin, Vultures, and Snow Egrets), baby crocodiles, and a huge green iguana, as well as various flora and fauna. We also found the huge termite nests in the trees to be of interest to all. One of the 3 boats experienced engine trouble which slowed us down a bit, but that boat was never abandoned. Our boat held back each time to make sure they were not stranded.

Once we arrived at Lamanai, we ate a hearty lunch of Mayan chicken, rice, coleslaw, coconut tarts, and bottled Pepsi and water. We started our tour in a small museum with interesting Mayan artifacts and continued on by foot through an impressive jungle featuring vines, "Jurassic Park"-sized palm fronds, medicinal trees, and Howler Monkeys. We spent about 1.5 hours exploring 3 large Mayan temples and the remains of a small Mayan town. Our guides provided an enormous amount of insight and kept us moving at a reasonable clip.

We returned to the boats, sped back up the river, and returned to the buses just before nightfall. We arrived back at the docks about an hour after the final tender was suppose to leave for the ship. Our guides, to their credit, had made the decision to give us the full tour --- not an abridged tour --- even though we had arrived late. After all, we were paying the full price of the tour and they weren't going to let us get anything less. It was clear, back in Lamanai, that we were not going to make the tender cutoff time. This began to cause great distress among some tour passengers. Just remember, that if you are on a cruise-sponsored tour, there are "no worries!" They were not going to strand any of their passengers in Belize if they are on a cruise-sponsored excursion. Sure enough, we were met at the pier with a nice large boat that easily and comfortably sped all of us back to the ship, which was beautifully illuminated out on the sea. Bottom line: take this tour.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions in over 20 Caribbean ports.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

We did the Lamanai Tour through our ship. It's one of 2 ship excursions we've ever taken as we arrange most tours on our own. We're glad we did the ship's tour here.

Once at the Belize pier we were greeted with a nice Welcome sign. There are only a handful of shops at the pier. I am guessing there were about 90 folks on this tour. We were herded onto 1 of 3 air conditioned buses. Whatever bus you get becomes your tour group, and included a guide that not only narrated the bus tour and answered our questions but also drove our boat on the jungle cruise and lead our excursion of the ruins. Our experienced guide was Vel, and he was breaking in a very pretty young guide-in-training that joined us for the duration of the tour. Our guides were very friendly, knowledgeable, and proud of their country.

Belize is a poor country with great natural and historical assets. One idiot on the bus asked "Why are there bars on the windows of houses?" during an otherwise interesting Q&A about the country. (Answer: they have a crime problem related to a "crack" problem). The housing and habitat reminded us a lot of Waimanalo on Oahu (sans the bars). We learned a lot about the city and country on our 1.25 hour bus tour over a paved 2-lane road to the boat dock. [side note: from visible signage along the road it appears Pepsi "controls" the less populated part of the country while Coca-Cola "owns" Belize City itself]. Each bus unloaded their groups into a large thatched roof building sporting restrooms and a couple of artisans. Within a few minutes we were loaded onto covered boats with comfortable seats and two powerful outboard motors.

We snaked South down the river to the Lamanai Ruin site. Our guide plying us with information and pointing out numerous birds (including King Fisher, Blue Herrin, Vultures, and Snow Egrets), baby crocodiles, and a huge green iguana, as well as various flora and fauna. We also found the huge termite nests in the trees to be of interest to all. One of the 3 boats experienced engine trouble which slowed us down a bit, but that boat was never abandoned. Our boat held back each time to make sure they were not stranded.

Once we arrived at Lamanai, we ate a hearty lunch of Mayan chicken, rice, coleslaw, coconut tarts, and bottled Pepsi and water. We started our tour in a small museum with interesting Mayan artifacts and continued on by foot through an impressive jungle featuring vines, "Jurassic Park"-sized palm fronds, medicinal trees, and Howler Monkeys. We spent about 1.5 hours exploring 3 large Mayan temples and the remains of a small Mayan town. Our guides provided an enormous amount of insight and kept us moving at a reasonable clip.

We returned to the boats, sped back up the river, and returned to the buses just before nightfall. We arrived back at the docks about an hour after the final tender was suppose to leave for the ship. Our guides, to their credit, had made the decision to give us the full tour --- not an abridged tour --- even though we had arrived late. After all, we were paying the full price of the tour and they weren't going to let us get anything less. It was clear, back in Lamanai, that we were not going to make the tender cutoff time. This began to cause great distress among some tour passengers. Just remember, that if you are on a cruise-sponsored tour, there are "no worries!" They were not going to strand any of their passengers in Belize if they are on a cruise-sponsored excursion. Sure enough, we were met at the pier with a nice large boat that easily and comfortably sped all of us back to the ship, which was beautifully illuminated out on the sea. Bottom line: take this tour.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions in over 20 Caribbean ports.

Thank you for this review. I really want to do this tour now! And good to know that the ships DO wait for you if you go on a ship sponsored tour. I was practically ripped a new one on the Royal board for assuming such things.

We are considering this trip, but Celebrity are charging $113. We will be in port from 10:30 -18:00 which makes it a little tight for a private tour company.

We are also visiting Cozumel & thought to do Tulum. Which would be the better to visit or should we go to both?

We are considering this trip, but Celebrity are charging $113. We will be in port from 10:30 -18:00 which makes it a little tight for a private tour company.

We are also visiting Cozumel & thought to do Tulum. Which would be the better to visit or should we go to both?

I was wondering the same.

8 years ago we chose Lamanai because we were told you could not climb the temples in Tulum. Not sure if this is still true. We took the cruise excursion to Lamanai and I still remember it as an amazing experience 8 years later. We did have a short time after for some brief shopping, but it was very brief.

8 years ago we chose Lamanai because we were told you could not climb the temples in Tulum. Not sure if this is still true. We took the cruise excursion to Lamanai and I still remember it as an amazing experience 8 years later. We did have a short time after for some brief shopping, but it was very brief.

What people have told me is that in Mexico you can't climb the Mayan Ruins anymore. That is one of the main reasons to go to Lamanai. This will be my first Mayan ruins and I am excited. Leave on my cruise in about 30 days.

Celebrity is charging a little higher than NCL which charges $109. Do you also get a meal with your tour?

In 2008 we went to both Lamanai and Tulum. Climbing the pyramids at Tulum was not allowed. We were, however, allowed to climb one of the pyramids at Lamanai. (The guide pointed out the pyramid that we were able to climb.) DH climbed it while I found a bench on terra firma. He said that the treads were steep and narrow and he wouldn't recommend it to anyone not in good health. He also said that it was much harder getting down than it was going up.

In 2008 we went to both Lamanai and Tulum. Climbing the pyramids at Tulum was not allowed. We were, however, allowed to climb one of the pyramids at Lamanai. (The guide pointed out the pyramid that we were able to climb.) DH climbed it while I found a bench on terra firma. He said that the treads were steep and narrow and he wouldn't recommend it to anyone not in good health. He also said that it was much harder getting down than it was going up.

I remember climbing the large pyramids in Chitzen Itza (sp?) when I was a kid. Even as a short little kid, it was scary climbing up, and even scarier climbing down! I would love to climb some somewhere again as an adult, but in order to preserve the ruins for future generations to see and visit, they can't let people climb them still. But I'm sure the view from the top is incredible.

So my question is, are the ruins inLamanai surrounded by a jungle? That would be a cool view to see from the top.are you able tose the tops of other temples while at the top of another above the tree tops?

We just returned Sunday from our 7 day cruise. We were aboard the Carnival Conquest and were in Belize on Thursday, Sept 12th. We booked all of our excursion for all ports through Island Marketing and have used the company in the past as well with no problems. Belize was a whole new experience. I do not advise anyone to book the Lamania excursion through anyone other than the ship you are on. That's the only assurance you have that the ship will be there when you return late. We had a horribly miserable experience from waiting for almost two hours for the trip to start, being hustle by "Anthony" who wore a silver plated belt buckle with a rhinestone marijuana leaf on it, to the ratchet boats we were piled into, not to mention it rained on us almost the entire time and the two boats the 30 of us were in ran out of gas 3 times stranding us on the River. Our last tender was leaving at 4 and we didn't make it back to the port until 5:30. We ran up almost $600 on our cell phone bill trying to work something out with Carnival so that they would not leave 30 of us stranded. The guide kept saying that he was somehow related to someone at the port authority and that the ship could not leave until the port authority released them.... not sure if that was the truth or if it was my husbands contact with Carnival that saved us, but we ended up catching the tender back to the boat at 5:30. We booked through Island marketing, the guides shirts said X-Stream Tours and I also believe they may operate under Belize Cruise Excursions also! Beware! I have contacted Island Marketing about these issues as I would hate for another group to endure what we went through! Not sure that anything will be done, but I know that Im doing my part!

We just returned Sunday from our 7 day cruise. We were aboard the Carnival Conquest and were in Belize on Thursday, Sept 12th. We booked all of our excursion for all ports through Island Marketing and have used the company in the past as well with no problems. Belize was a whole new experience. I do not advise anyone to book the Lamania excursion through anyone other than the ship you are on. That's the only assurance you have that the ship will be there when you return late. We had a horribly miserable experience from waiting for almost two hours for the trip to start, being hustle by "Anthony" who wore a silver plated belt buckle with a rhinestone marijuana leaf on it, to the ratchet boats we were piled into, not to mention it rained on us almost the entire time and the two boats the 30 of us were in ran out of gas 3 times stranding us on the River. Our last tender was leaving at 4 and we didn't make it back to the port until 5:30. We ran up almost $600 on our cell phone bill trying to work something out with Carnival so that they would not leave 30 of us stranded. The guide kept saying that he was somehow related to someone at the port authority and that the ship could not leave until the port authority released them.... not sure if that was the truth or if it was my husbands contact with Carnival that saved us, but we ended up catching the tender back to the boat at 5:30. We booked through Island marketing, the guides shirts said X-Stream Tours and I also believe they may operate under Belize Cruise Excursions also! Beware! I have contacted Island Marketing about these issues as I would hate for another group to endure what we went through! Not sure that anything will be done, but I know that Im doing my part!

Ups, did you ever try contacting them? There is no phone number on their website and their live chat seems to be off-line all the times. Are they registered somewhere?

Wow, what a stressful time you all had. Due to the length of this tour 7 1/2 hours, I thought that it was not worth it to chance missing the boat by booking privately. Have used private operators before to do Shark Ray Alley but have always worried about the "What If" scenarios. Have heard issues with this tour over the years as it is usually the first to leave the boat and the last to return. At least booking thru the ship, even though it costs more, does give you the peace of mind as the ship won't leave. Due to the risks of this tour, I has already decided to book thru the ship and not to chance missing the boat as don't need the extra stress. I am a worry pot and go on cruises to get away from the stressed of life.

Edited by thescot123

Yea, a couple on my roll call are doing this because our ship next week, Liberty, does not list this as a cruiseline excursion. We decided against it fearing exactly what you went through. We are booked instead on the ship's excursion to Atum Ha.

Although the ruins at Lamanai seem beautiful, we've seen Chichen Itza and Uxmal and its not worth the extra stress.