Might be one time too many

twentyknots

I think I am just cruised out. This is my first cruise I am not looking forward to at all. I was going to cancel, but realized I would lose too much because I booked ES.

Same here, I think we're burnt out on cruising. We generally do 2 or three a year, and have a B2B coming up in 11 days, and neither one of us is excited. We threw in a 9 day land vacation in Destin Florida this year and think we are going to do several gulf coast land vacations again next year. Maybe it will rekindle our love of cruising if we take a year off.

I sailed on the Inspiration 4 times, same ports every time. I LOVE cruising so I wasn't bored, but I was itching to go see more ships & places! Trying new ships & other lines was awesome!

Another thing that does remind me of how much I love cruising are the yearly land based vacations we take. This yr we did 2 cruises and 2 Disney World trips (3 days each). I spent way more on those Disney trips and had no down time! Maybe consider doing a land based vacay? For us, it truly does reaffirm why we love cruising and breaks up the monotony of it.

My experience is that your fellow cruisers make a great cruise, not the ship...go out of your way to be proactive in meeting new folks and engaging in activities with your fellow cruisers

As you are thinking about trying a new ship or cruiseline...based upon your hobby or passion, do some research to identify a large theme group cruise...cruising is alot more fun with that added dimension

We almost always cruise out of Galveston on Carnival, so we're limited to two ships. Try to cruise twice a year, so we've repeated ships and ports. I just like the cruise experience, and enjoy the familiarity of a ship I've cruised before. I don't like change or surprises. True, I no longer get as excited about a cruise as I used to but I still enjoy it. And it's a nice break from work!

Sounds like us. But we get to cruise out of New Orleans and Galveston since we are 3 hours from New Orleans and 3 /12 hours from Galveston. Have you thought of cruising out of New Orleans?

And while we no longer get excited about cruising and visiting the same ports over and over it is the cruising experience that we also enjoy. So instead of reading my book on my front porch I read it on my balcony or in the Serenity area. And instead of cooking my own meals, for one week, I have someone to do this for me.

It is just the little changes in our daily routine that we look forward too.

Just talking to Mom about this same scenario. We've done variations of the Catalina/Ensenada cruise at least 15 times. Twice on Royal in the early 90's and the rest on the Paradise, Elation and Inspiration Fantasy Class sisters. Before that we would drive down to that area of Mexico.

Tomorrow Mom and Sis are checking out the Golden Princess on a 4day Catalina/Ensenada cruise. All of us are going again next week.

We are within 60-90 minutes of San Diego, San Pedro and Long Beach. We can even take public transportation to Long Beach.

It's easy for us to repeat the itin and ship. We know what we like to do in each port. Most cruises we have found something new to do. Since we already know the routine of the ship we can get into 'vacation' mode quickly.

This thread is almost as depressing as the one currently on HAL where people are worried a plane crash or their spouses heart attack will ruin their cruise. :rolleyes:

If you aren't happy with the cruises you've chosen, try another.

There's TONS of options. Small ships, tall ships, river boats, adult-only, child-centered, luxury, budget, Europe, Alaska...You can find info on all of them right here on cc.

I've sailed "Paradise" three times already this year, and have enjoyed each and every cruise so much, that I've booked TWICE MORE before the end of the year. I don't think I'll ever tire of this ship, these ports, of the wonderful crew aboard "Paradise". I'd book once a month if I could get away! :D

"SKY"

200 kids onboard even though they should be in school.

Just curious, was that a generalization or is there actually somewhere that you can see the age breakdown on particular sailings? I realize that Mr. Heald often quotes those numbers on his blog and Facebook, but he's also not a general patron.

I think it is interesting when people take the same cruise again and again but so what.

Nobody is surprised when ,as an example, the same people go to Vegas or Miami and stay in the same hotel,

eat in the same restaurants and play on the same golf courses, year after year.

Why should being on the same cruise be so different ?

Yes on a ship your options are limited but many happily take the same land vacations time after time.

This thread is almost as depressing as the one currently on HAL where people are worried a plane crash or their spouses heart attack will ruin their cruise. :rolleyes:

If you aren't happy with the cruises you've chosen, try another.

There's TONS of options. Small ships, tall ships, river boats, adult-only, child-centered, luxury, budget, Europe, Alaska...You can find info on all of them right here on cc.

No need to be depressed. Maybe you should relax. Try taking a cruise.:D

Just curious, was that a generalization or is there actually somewhere that you can see the age breakdown on particular sailings? I realize that Mr. Heald often quotes those numbers on his blog and Facebook, but he's also not a general patron.

On our Fantasy cruise in October 2012 the cruise director told us that about 10% of the passengers were children. Since the capacity is 2000, I calculated the number at ~200. There seemed to be more children this time. I asked several of them how they could miss so much school and was told they were on fall break. We don't have a full week off in our NC area for fall break, but apparently many schools do in Tennessee and other nearby states. Plus there are more schools now with year-round schedules of 10 weeks in followed by 2-3 weeks out. Add home schooling and that pretty much means quite a few kids on cruises any time of the year. We'll return to HAL for longer cruises of 10+ days to minimize the number of kids.

We cruise exclusively from New Orleans. We love the big boats, Conquest, Triumph, and can't wait for Sunshine and Dream. The Elation cruises are just as much fun to us. Just in a different way. We pack light, don't get fancied up, eat when we want to, read a lot. Just laid back and relaxed. So please go have a good time.

I've been stuck (LOL) with the Inspiration for the last cruises. I can't wait to try the Miracle and imagination.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg "I can see Carnival Miracle and Inspiration from my porch" (to paraphrase Tina Fey as S. Palin)

I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams!)

We have sailed on the Sensation five times. Knowing our way around is a perk. Always have had a great time. We have sailed the imagination and the inspiration two times each all Fantasy class ships. We also have been on the Miracle three times. Our cruises are what we make of them. There are many choices you can make.

It sounds like you are Carnival-ed out, as it doesn't sound like you like the MDR, the Lido food (which I would not consider cafeteria quality), and think that Carnival skips HMC willy nilly for whatever reason they want to (which I hardly believe is the case).

maybe you need to try another cruise line for your next cruise???

Just try a different ship! The experiences are so different from one ship to another, even within the same cruise line. And differing itineraries can make all of the difference in the world.

For a slightly longer drive you can be in Florida with 5 cruiseports and tons of ships and itineraries.

On our Fantasy cruise in October 2012 the cruise director told us that about 10% of the passengers were children. Since the capacity is 2000, I calculated the number at ~200. There seemed to be more children this time. I asked several of them how they could miss so much school and was told they were on fall break. We don't have a full week off in our NC area for fall break, but apparently many schools do in Tennessee and other nearby states. Plus there are more schools now with year-round schedules of 10 weeks in followed by 2-3 weeks out. Add home schooling and that pretty much means quite a few kids on cruises any time of the year. We'll return to HAL for longer cruises of 10+ days to minimize the number of kids.

My mom is 80 and goes on the HAL cruises - sounds like that's where you need to go. LOL

School schedules are different than when "we" were in school. My uncle teaches at a "year-round" school in California that gets three-week breaks throughout the year. Add in home schooling and your numbers go up on cruises.

Oh, and then there are the "bad" parents like me who seem to be OK with their 1st grader missing three days of school for a cruise/vacation.

(Exact location withheld so no one reports me to my school district)

Sounds like it's time to explore other lines.

Signed,

Someone who has never cruised the same line twice.

Been on luxury lines to Carnival. Both Regent and Celebration are on my "to- cruise" list! lol :cool:

I've cruised Celebration twice, and loved her :)

I said after this year's Dream that I was CRUISED out and my friend pointed out that I was Carnivaled out. She was right. Ended up on a 3 day Disney a month later to celebrate our family anniversaries (Mom & Dad's 45th) and now our entire family and group are totally hooked. And we have no kids! We were blown away. Before DCL, I didn't care if I never cruised again. I wasn't happy to get on the Dream and after a week of the Unfriendly Ship, I was delighted to debark. I don't think ships make a difference. if the CCL brand (bean bag tosses, hairy chest, newly wed, same comedy, same menu, same everything) isn't earning your vacation dollar, move on to another line. It won't be that much different on a different CCL ship. CCL is kinda been there done that. Some things are worthy paying a bit more. Me? I can cruise 4 incredible days on Disney for the same as 7 mediocre days on Carnival. I won't be back.

Ever heard the "Its not you, it's me" line?

Well, in this case, it really is 'you'! (CCL)

CCL is kinda been there done that. Some things are worthy paying a bit more. Me? I can cruise 4 incredible days on Disney for the same as 7 mediocre days on Carnival. I won't be back.

Ever heard the "Its not you, it's me" line?

Well, in this case, it really is 'you'! (CCL)

I will be back (to CCL) but I see your point. Our next cruise is a 5 day Celebrity instead of a 7 day Carnival.

I still like Carnival but will never again get a balcony with them until the you know what policy is changed. ;)

We will spend 3 additional days in Florida with family instead of 1 day plus the week cruise.

For the same total cost we are getting a superior cruise plus an included drinks package which is so much better then Carnival's.

Of course this is 5 vs 7, not a 4 vs 7. A 4 day cruise is just not worth it to me.

Sounds like it's time to explore other lines.

Signed,

Someone who has never cruised the same line twice.

Been on luxury lines to Carnival. Both Regent and Celebration are on my "to- cruise" list! lol :cool:

You hit the nail on the head!

Time to mix things up and try something new.

I will be back (to CCL) but I see your point. Our next cruise is a 5 day Celebrity instead of a 7 day Carnival.

I still like Carnival but will never again get a balcony with them until the you know what policy is changed. ;)

We will spend 3 additional days in Florida with family instead of 1 day plus the week cruise.

For the same total cost we are getting a superior cruise plus an included drinks package which is so much better then Carnival's.

Of course this is 5 vs 7, not a 4 vs 7. A 4 day cruise is just not worth it to me.

You can play around with itineraries too. DCL does 5 days as well. But it sounds like you are right on the money. I have heard people say they only cruise X or DCL, so they must be good! They both to my knowledge have the same you know what balcony policy as well. Bon voyage!

Archived