Sightseeing before (or after) Southampton

bethohio3

We're cruising from Southampton in May and instead of flying into London, we're considering flying to Southampton instead and doing some sightseeing in the area before (or after) we cruise.

Our schedule would probably be something like this:

Arrive Southampton Saturday 10:30 am

<open>

Cruise: leaves Sunday 5pm

Cruise: returns Friday 5am

<open>

Depart Southampton Saturday 7 am

We're most interested in seeing Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Bath. I'm sure we'd also enjoy seeing Portsmouth, but that's not as high a priority as the other 3. We'd really like to get to Stonehenge very early in the day, so we're thinking that might have to be the Sunday morning we depart on the cruise.

Are we better off renting a car or taking trains? We travel fairly lightly, but don't know how easy it is to leave one's luggage at a train station while sightseeing. I've never rented a car out of the US, so I don't know if the logistics are any more complicated.

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

We're cruising from Southampton in May and instead of flying into London, we're considering flying to Southampton instead and doing some sightseeing in the area before (or after) we cruise.

<open>

<open>

We're most interested in seeing Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Bath.

We just got back from a cruise that had us spending seven days in London and visiting Stonehenge and Salisbury en route to the port in Southampton. We have also visited Bath twice in the past. I don't think you're going to be able to do everything you want to do in the time you've allotted.

I know you could do Stonehenge and Salisbury on one of the days, but I don't think you can spend enough time to Bath on your cruise departure day to make the trip worthwhile. (There's both Roman Bath and Georgian Bath -- different but equally fascinating.) If those three destinations are your must-do choices, is there any way you can add another day prior to the cruise? If not, I'd consider flying into a London-area airport and staying in London. Your arrival day would be spent visiting London sites that require less traveling to get to and are closer together.

Embarkation day, you'd be able to get from London to Stonehenge and Salisbury and, then, comfortably get to Southampton.

We left our London hotel around 7:00 AM and were at Stonehenge by 9:15. I think we spent about an hour there. We went on to Salisbury where we had fun touring the Tuesday farmer's market (also set up on Saturdays) and seeing the fascinating cathedral.

This won't apply to you since your days are neither Tuesday nor Saturday, but others may be interested. A reasonable portion of the market vendors sell prepared food. We bought things like cheese, olives, and watercress quiche at the market and had a nice casual lunch sitting on a bench in the town. After tasting cheddar cheese made in Cheddar, England, I'm not sure I can ever eat even the artisanal versions made here in the US. And the stilton... Delicious!

We arrive at the port around 2:00/2:30 PM for a 4:00 embarkation.

<open>

<open>

We're most interested in seeing Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Bath. I'm sure we'd also enjoy seeing Portsmouth, but that's not as high a priority as the other 3. We'd really like to get to Stonehenge very early in the day, so we're thinking that might have to be the Sunday morning we depart on the cruise.

Are we better off renting a car or taking trains? We travel fairly lightly, but don't know how easy it is to leave one's luggage at a train station while sightseeing. I've never rented a car out of the US, so I don't know if the logistics are any more complicated.

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Don't rule out flying into London(LHR/LGW), vs having to change (in AMS/FRA/CDG etc) and fly into SOU (as SOU is a small regional airport). It's only 90 minutes from either of the major London airports to Southampton, plus there are some interesting places along the way (or slightly out of the way) such as Windsor, Salisbury (Stonehenge) or Winchester.

if you have not already made/paid for airfare, try to spend more days

before & after cruise - it's such a long & expensive flight to/fro,

you will not regret spending the extra time to really be able

to see more of the marvelous places nearby:)

am in process of writing a review of our trip -

have completed the 10 days pre cruise including 5 nights in southampton

(even so we did not make it to bath :eek: but will next time !!;))

if you have not already made/paid for airfare, try to spend more days

before & after cruise - it's such a long & expensive flight to/fro,

you will not regret spending the extra time to really be able

to see more of the marvelous places nearby:)

We definitely wouldn't regret spending more time--but we don't have it to spend :-(. I might try to add one more day, but that's really it--we both have such limited vacation time available to us that adding on more time is really hard.

Right now, I'm considering:

Arrive Saturday morning, pick up car, drive to Salisbury and spend the rest of the day there. Get up early Sunday, have breakfast, go to Stonehenge, and then toodle around a little bit, return car, and embark.

Friday, when we disembark, park our luggage wherever we're going to spend Friday night, take a train to Bath and spend the day, train back at the end of the day, spend the night, and get up (pre-dawn) to catch an early flight back. Alternatively, if we decide to stay and depart Sunday, then we could spend Friday night in Bath and the stay at a hotel near the Southampton airport Saturday night.

I would love to have a week before (to spend in London) and a week after (to spend in the area), but our work schedules just don't permit. (I definitely agree with all of you who think we should!)

Looking at the calendar and then looking at the Princess prices for eZair, I went ahead and selected (flexible!) tickets that were actually almost $200 less per person than restricted tickets. I also realized that the Monday following our cruise is Memorial Day, so we don't have to work that day anyway.

So, since that really alleviated my "what if the flight is late" issue for getting in the day of the cruise, and Monday being a US federal holiday, we decided fly back Monday so our southern UK time won't be as disjointed.

We disembark Friday morning and fly out of Gatwick Monday morning--that'll give us 3 full days for Bath, Salisbury, and Stonehenge--it's not as much extra time as we'd like--but it'll be enough to see those, I would think!

We disembark Friday morning and fly out of Gatwick Monday morning--that'll give us 3 full days for Bath, Salisbury, and Stonehenge--it's not as much extra time as we'd like--but it'll be enough to see those, I would think!

Changed ($ and convenience and flight times) to Heathrow.

If anyone reads this and know the most convenient place to rent a car from when we disembark, I'd appreciate it. Is it realistic and reasonable to be able to return it at Heathrow rather than Southampton?

So you arrive Southampton airport 10.30 saturday & sail pm sunday.

Southampton airport is small, formalities will take only about 30 minutes. Only one hotel at the airport, nothing of interest in the area, not worth renting a car for the short period.

So book a hotel in Southampton city centre, ideally handy for the rail station & docks.

A taxi from the airport will take about 20 mins & cost about £20.

Buses from the airport (part of the university bus network) are slow & the route convoluted.

Trains from the airport (also known as Southampton Parkway) about every 20 mins, journey time to Southampton Central about 10 mins, cost about £6 per person. Station is about 100 yards level walk from the airport terminal.

You're likely to be at a city centre hotel by about 11.30 to noon.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

Useful sketch-map at the foot of that page, stacks more info on other pages.

If you want to maximise your time, that afternoon you can visit :

Salisbury & (by ho-ho from Salisbury) Stonehenge

If too early to book in at the hotel, you can leave your luggage there.

Direct train service from Southampton Central to Salisbury every half-hour, takes 30 minutes, costs about £10 pp for a "cheap day-return". No need to pre-book or to select a return time - just go back to Southampton on any same-day train. Same applies on other routes.

Take the ho-ho from Salisbury station to Stonehenge. Round-trip takes about an hour, & allow yourselves 60 - 90 mins at Stonehenge. There's not a lot to see, though the new visitor centre due to open next year may make it more memorable.

If on a full-day (but not that foreshortened day), & the weather's good, & you have an interest in ancient sites, consider also hopping-off at Old Sarum, a pre-historic hilltop earthworks fort just outside Salisbury. In Salisbury, get off in the city centre for the cathedral & historic city centre. Like many other tourist cities, Salisbury dies around 5.30pm. Back to the station by ho-ho or local bus or taxi or 15 minute walk.

Whenever, and however, you visit Salisbury & Stonehenge they fit together as one outing.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/

Or the historic city & cathedral of Winchester.

Trains every 20 mins or so, journey time about 15 mins, cost probably under £10 pp cheap day-return.

http://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/

Or Beaulieu. Britain's biggest motoring museum plus Bishop's Palace plus abbey ruins. By ferry from Town Quay across Southampton Water to Hythe, then the new but seasonal hourly bus service or taxi for the six miles from Hythe pier across a little corner of the New Forest to Beaulieu.

http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/

http://www.hytheferry.co.uk/

http://thebeachbus.info/

Or mooch around Southampton. Not a tourist city, but enough to keep you occupied - museums, a few historic buildings & "walking the walls", and the south coast's best shopping. No need for transport. Ho-ho is a waste of time & money.

http://www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/visit

http://seacitymuseum.co.uk/

http://www.solentskymuseum.org/

On your embarkation morning you could visit Salisbury/Stonehenge with an early start, or Winchester, or stay in Southampton. A 5pm sailing probably means latest registration at the ship by 3pm.

--------------------------------------------------

Post-cruise.

Disembarkation will be 7.30 to 9am, so you'll have 3 full days.

If you're going to rely on public transport, best stay in a Southampton or Portsmouth/Southsea hotel.

Again, a hotel handy to Southampton rail station.

In Portsmouth, the Holiday Inn Express in Gunwharf Quays or a huge choice along Southsea seafront. Portsmouth (navy city) & Southsea (holiday resort) are conjoined cities - only locals know where one finishes & the other starts.

Southampton has better rail links, Portsmouth has a lot more to offer in the city.

Bath. Direct hourly trains, about 90 mins from Southampton, 2 hrs from Portsmouth, around £15 day-return from Southampton, £15 to £20 from Portsmouth. Station (Bath Spa) is in the centre, Bath is very easy to explore on foot, ho-ho is a waste of time & money.

Salisbury is on the same train route but more frequent. Theoretically you could combine Salisbury & Stonehenge & Bath but it'd be a bit rushed.

Arundel (castle & cathedral) by train from Southampton, but closer from Portsmouth.

The New Forest by ho-ho. Best by local bus from Southampton to Lyndhurst, where the two ho-ho routes intersect. A good option for a lazy day.

http://www.thenewforesttour.info/

Isle of Wight (from Southampton)

Traditional car ferry or hi-speed ferry from Southampton's Town Quay to the yachting haven of Cowes. Short bus ride to Queen Victoria's Osborne House, or ho-hos around the island. Island roads are slow, don't expect to achieve a lot.

http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/ferry-travel/red-jet-service/

http://islandbreezers.islandbuses.info/

Portsmouth. Frequent direct trains from Southampton, journey time around 40 minutes. Best to take the train to the end of the line at Portsmouth Harbour. This is right by the Historic dockyard & ships (a full day's-worth by itself), the leisure & shopping at Gunwharf Quays, & the Spinnaker Tower (only worthwhile in clear weather). A short bus or taxi ride away is Southsea seafront, overlooking the Solent & Isle of Wight. Promenade, D-Day museum, small but free Southsea Castle, other attractions.

Only worthwhile if staying in Portsmouth, the dockyard tickets are valid for a year, so you could spread your visits. http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/

Isle of Wight (from Portsmouth) Traditional car ferries or fast-ferries, or hovercraft service, across to the little seaside resort of Ryde. From Ryde the island's only rail line (uses redundant London Underground rolling stock) to Sandown, on the island's south coast. Or the island's ho-hos.

http://www.wightlink.co.uk/

http://www.hovertravel.co.uk/

Direct hourly trains from both Southampton & Portsmouth to Gatwick airport.

Rail stations outside London don't have left-luggage facilities. Alternative facilities most places but I'm guessing that your hotels can oblige on most itineraries.

---------------------------------------------------------

All those are easy by public transport - in fact they're best done by public transport.

If you rent a car, you'll have more options.

Hertz, National & Europcar have depots close to Southampton docks, Avis is only at the airport.

I suggest if you'll be leaving luggage in the car that you rent one with a trunk that's big enough - crime in the UK isn't high but you don't want to invite it with luggage on view.

Rental cars are shift-stick unless you specify automatic.

None of the following suggestions are workable by public transport.

The Jurassic coast & the downs & villages of Dorset.

As a day-trip from a Southampton base.

Or if as part of a tour by car, stop the night in somewhere like Glastonbury & head north next day to Bath via Wells & Cheddar.

Or drive from Southampton via Salisbury & Stonehenge, and perhaps other places such as Avebury ring or Lacock, to overnite in Bath. A day in Bath, then next day perhaps head north through the Cotswolds to Shakespeare's Stratford-upon-Avon & Warwick Castle before overniting closer to Gatwick - mebbe at Oxford.

Many other options too, including in exactly the opposite direction to West Sussex & Kent. Handy to Gatwick airport.

Plot these places on a map & google them, see what you think.

JB :)

Edit. OK, it's Heathrow.

For car rental choose Hertz or National or Europcar as they have depots near Southampton docks. One-way rentals are OK, though I doubt it's worth the grief for pre-cruise.

No direct rail service to Southampton or Portsmouth from Heathrow, it involves a shuttlebus from airport to rail station which makes it awkward & negates the time-saving. Best by either http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx bus, or private transfer at around £90, try http://www.smithsforairports.com or http://www.westquaycars.com

Mebbe get an alternate price for visiting Stonehenge & Salisbury on the way from the airport.

We have rented cars at LHR to Southampton from http://www.autoeurope.com 3 times. They have an office in Portland, Maine 1-800-223-5555. They rent cars from Hertz, National, Enterprise, their offices at the airport are off site with a short shuttle service. We have had National and Hertz. There is no one way charge. National, Hertz, Enterprise have offices at West Quay Industrial Estate, a short distance from the port, a taxi or walk might be hard if with luggage. You prepay in your own country's currency. Book early to get a cheaper rate. They are cheaper than the big named rental companies. The prices changes with the rate of exchange. Keep checking their prices and if the price has gone down, I have cancelled and rebooked. Make SURE you mark automatic if you do not drive standard.

Embarkation day, you'd be able to get from London to Stonehenge and Salisbury and, then, comfortably get to Southampton.

We left our London hotel around 7:00 AM and were at Stonehenge by 9:15. I think we spent about an hour there. We went on to Salisbury where we had fun touring the Tuesday farmer's market (also set up on Saturdays) and seeing the fascinating cathedral.

This won't apply to you since your days are neither Tuesday nor Saturday, but others may be interested. A reasonable portion of the market vendors sell prepared food. We bought things like cheese, olives, and watercress quiche at the market and had a nice casual lunch sitting on a bench in the town. After tasting cheddar cheese made in Cheddar, England, I'm not sure I can ever eat even the artisanal versions made here in the US. And the stilton... Delicious!

We arrive at the port around 2:00/2:30 PM for a 4:00 embarkation.

Did you hire private transport to go from London to Southampton? We are staying at the Hampton in Croydon for 3 days prior to our cruise and would like to stop at Stonehenge and Salisbury as you did (it will be a Saturday) on the way to Southampton. Wondering if we should attempt this.

Did you hire private transport to go from London to Southampton? We are staying at the Hampton in Croydon for 3 days prior to our cruise and would like to stop at Stonehenge and Salisbury as you did (it will be a Saturday) on the way to Southampton. Wondering if we should attempt this.

I don't see any reason not to go ahead with your plans. We managed to do what you hope to do and our day originated in central London. You'll be leaving from Croydon which appears to be closer. At the least, you may be able to start your day somewhat later, although I still recommend you try to arrive at Stonehenge when it opens.

Yes, we arranged for a private transfer. Specifically, we used Discover the South, and I recommend them strongly.

I don't see any reason not to go ahead with your plans. We managed to do what you hope to do and our day originated in central London. You'll be leaving from Croydon which appears to be closer. At the least, you may be able to start your day somewhat later, although I still recommend you try to arrive at Stonehenge when it opens.

Yes, we arranged for a private transfer. Specifically, we used Discover the South, and I recommend them strongly.

Agreed. Sightseeing transfers from/to London or its airports via Stonehenge & Salisbury are frequently done by cruisers.

But be aware that on summer Saturdays the roads from London to the south coast (eg Southampton) and the west country (past Stonehenge) do get clogged as the lemmings head out of the city for a weekend or day-trip. An early start will pay great dividends.

Discover the South is the sight-seeing arm of West Quay Cars, very reputable.

Thank you Pet Nit Noy (and John Bull, too). I will contact Discover the South. Sounds like it might be the perfect choice for us.

• 2 weeks later...

We're arriving in Southampton from a Princess cruise in May, and would like to pick up a rental car at or close-by the cruise pier. However, the Autoeurope.com website does not recognize one-way out off Southampton to LHR, but does recognize LRH to Southampton. Is it best to call them instead of giving up on renting from them altogether? Is there another rental car agency in Southampton that isn't too far from the port? Thanks in advance for any advise.

OK, that may be why I'm not able to reserve on-line with autoeurope.com, as we're arriveing on a Sunday. Any recent cruise passengers arriving in Southampton on a Sunday out there that can confirm if ANY car rental agencies close to the port are open and willing to do business on Sundays?? Thanks!

We're arriving in Southampton from a Princess cruise in May, and would like to pick up a rental car at or close-by the cruise pier. However, the Autoeurope.com website does not recognize one-way out off Southampton to LHR, but does recognize LRH to Southampton. Is it best to call them instead of giving up on renting from them altogether? Is there another rental car agency in Southampton that isn't too far from the port? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Auto-Europe is not a rental business, they're an agency for rental businesses.

Their website design is pretty poor & I think that's the root of your problem.

When you select "Southampton" their website offers a range of hire companies & addresses which mean nothing unless you're a local - three of them, Hertz, National & Europcar, are just a few yards apart in the same road (a spur of West Quay Road) but you'd never know from the addresses quoted by Auto-Europe.

When an enquirer punches-in a location, if the type of rental required (in your case a one-way rental) isn't available from that location it simply says no, rather than offering an alternative.

I had no difficulty finding a one-way rental on random dates ending at Heathrow. This was by selecting the Southampton pick-up location "Southampton downtown office, Unit J West Quay Road - National".

Or you could do it direct on the National website.

Or the Hertz website, I'm pretty certain they do one-way rentals.

Or the Europcar website, I think they do too..

And figure the best value.

As said, the three depots are almost next-door to each other.

Directly behind City Cruise Terminal - but outside the port fencing, so a ten minute walk or two minute taxi ride. Or 5 minute taxi ride from any other cruise terminal.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=50.901044,-1.41185&spn=0.004628,0.023646&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=50.901524,-1.411567&panoid=QaVUecwPuLEN4_Gw1vZplw&cbp=11,229.36,,0,0

I think that's Independence of the Seas in the background. And if you move the camera down the road a little you'll also see the Hertz depot.

Bear in mind that rental cars in the UK are normally manual (shift-stick) unless you specify automatic transmission.

OK, that may be why I'm not able to reserve on-line with autoeurope.com, as we're arriveing on a Sunday. Any recent cruise passengers arriving in Southampton on a Sunday out there that can confirm if ANY car rental agencies close to the port are open and willing to do business on Sundays?? Thanks!

Europcar is closed on sundays.

National's depot is open sundays 10am to 4pm.

http://www.nationalcar.co.uk/Locations/630/uk/all?requestId=oOsOUqNclJOSGpN&companyId=630&contentGroup=Locations#componentportallocations

Hertz at Southampton airport is open sundays (though it's a 20 minute/£20 taxi ride). West Quay Road branch is closed but their website shows a 24/7 logo - possibly they offer a meet-and-greet.

http://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/location?search=Southampton%2C+United+Kingdom+%284+locations%29&isAutoFill=Y&searchType=30&countryCode=GB&stateCode=&searchFrom=Homepage&triggerSearch=true&locType=pUp

Archived