Suggestions for Souvenirs

sssteele

What are your favorite items to bring back for yourself or others while visiting Toulon and Cannes. We'll be seeing Aix, Cassis as well as St Tropez.

Looking for suggestions that are easy to pack and don't weigh a lot. Also helps if they're easy on my pocketbook. I'd love to have a real French rolling pin, but not sure about cost or weight.

Love to hear what others "treasure".

Dish towels (a memory every time I use mine), wine corks, small soaps, a small piece of pottery or glass. Stay away from small, scented candles - I forgot and bought some and they were confiscated and held until the last might. Had to take time to go and retrieve my contraband when I had other more important things to do:)

Dish towels (a memory every time I use mine), wine corks, small soaps, a small piece of pottery or glass. Stay away from small, scented candles - I forgot and bought some and they were confiscated and held until the last might. Had to take time to go and retrieve my contraband when I had other more important things to do:)

I appreciate the tip regarding the candles. Didn't have a clue.

Thanks for the idea of the dish towel. I have on my list to look for a colorful round tablecloth also.

When I was there in May they had little pottery herb grinders, I hummed and hahhed and didn't buy them and that's what I am sorry I didn't get so on my list for this trip.

I saw them at the market in Nice and also in a store in St. Paul de Vence.

I bought great scarves in Burano (lace) as well as Dubrovnik and Marseilles.

I am also going to get DD some macaron jewelry that we looked at and didn't buy:D

I'll be looking for the dish towels, and a few table linens on this trip. Last year in Italy, I bought some beautiful wine corks. My daughter bought a few hand sewn little bags (larger than a coin purse, smaller than a cosmetic bag). They were delicate and adorable and her friends were THRILLED with them. I only wish I had gotten one for myself.

My favorite area of France.They do great tea towels with woven designs, Usually one color. Beautiful magnets, painted by French ladies. Colorful toille (sp?)tablecloths/ napkins/ fabrics. Savon de Marseilles olive oil soaps.Love the markets of Nice and Cannes. Lavender items.Rose wines. Monoprix shops.

• 2 weeks later...

If your grandson is a pastry chef, I'm sure he would love some calissons d'Aix. They're THE sweet treat of Aix en Provence, on sale everywhere there (and nowhere anywhere else!). More about calissons: http://www.marseille-provence.info/gastronomy-food-gastronomie-drink-wine-cuisine-bars-restaurants-bistros/food-gastronomy-cuisine/148-sweets-and-treats-of-provence.html

• 2 weeks later...

From France:

Don't forget Sel De Mer, gourmet french sea salt that make can make a great gift. While in Normandy we saw many shops that sold nothing but different type's and forms of Sel De Mer, (100's of choices) and fortunately on a whimm we bought some for home and as a couple gifts ...

FYI, we have since discovered it's true, that when cooking with our french sea salt it makes an incredible difference in the favor of a dish.

Enjoy!!

Srpilo

Archived