Dining Options on Embarkation Day

Hyundaigirl

Hi all - we are sailing on our 1st Azamara cruise on Journey next September and really looking forward to it. Our only other cruise was on HAL's Noordam in 2010.

One thing I remember about our experience on Noordam was the mob scene in the buffet restaurant on the day of embarkation. Between those remaining on the ship because they were doing a b2b and the new passengers, it was crowded, difficult to find seats because people had their belongings taking up space and generally not a great experience to start off a cruise.

Whats the experience on Azamara? Are any of the other dining venues open or do we have to ready ourselves for the mob scene again :mad:

Only the buffet and grill bar are open, however I have never found Azamara to be crowded on embarkation day. Those who have opted for late disembarkation leave at 1230, the back to back guests are often ashore, or occasionally at a special lunch in the dining room.

One of the reasons it does not feel crowded is that after you board, Azamara invite you to check in your carry on bags and these are taken by staff direct to your room, so there should not be the same level of belongings taking up the space that is seen on the larger ships

We have cruised three times this year with Azamara and lunch in the buffet on embarkation day is always civilised - definitely no mob scenes.

Oh that's great to hear! I wondered what it was like on these smaller ships. Can't imagine the scene on a 5000 passenger ship! :eek:

Yes...the pool grill and the buffet are open upon embarkation, and not crowded due to staggered arrivals. The MDR and both Prime C and Aqualina open for dinner...if you want to eat in one of the specialties on sailing night, book it as soon as you check in because they fill up fast on sailing day. There will be a table with menus.

On our first Azamara cruise in March we were concerned about this too, having read that some people sit around with their bottomless wine glass.

As it happened we found a table for 4 with only 2 others seated and asked if we could join them. Turned out they were best friends with DH's cousin. They became our new best cruise friends and we spent time with them all cruise. They are even joining us on our =X= TA in November!

Hi all - we are sailing on our 1st Azamara cruise on Journey next September and really looking forward to it. Our only other cruise was on HAL's Noordam in 2010.

One thing I remember about our experience on Noordam was the mob scene in the buffet restaurant on the day of embarkation. Between those remaining on the ship because they were doing a b2b and the new passengers, it was crowded, difficult to find seats because people had their belongings taking up space and generally not a great experience to start off a cruise.

Whats the experience on Azamara? Are any of the other dining venues open or do we have to ready ourselves for the mob scene again :mad:

You'll have no mob scenes to deal with. Your only problem will be sailing on HAL after sailing on the Journey.;)

On Quest, they serve an incredible "welcome aboard" chocolate cake at lunch in the buffet on embarkation day. Don't know if Journey will do the same.

Did someone say "Chocolate Cake" Sure hope we will be having it on the Journey. Would that be Rich dark Chocolate Cake? I love Dark chocolate.:D Any other Chocolate I should be watching out for? They had some "to die for" Chocolate truffles when we were the Journey last time...

Did someone say "Chocolate Cake" Sure hope we will be having it on the Journey. Would that be Rich dark Chocolate Cake? I love Dark chocolate.:D Any other Chocolate I should be watching out for? They had some "to die for" Chocolate truffles when we were the Journey last time...
Rich and dark it was. Paul (I think that's right), the F&B manager, told us it was the best chocolate cake served on Quest, and not to miss it. He was right.

On leg three of our B2B2B we were joined by good friends and headed right to the buffet after they boarded, had a nice corner piece of the cake cut for the four of us, and happily polished it off. That afternoon, when we returned to our stateroom, we found an 8" by 8" corner of the cake waiting for us on the little table with a note saying "Compliments of the F&B Manager." Only on Azamara.:D

You'll have no mob scenes to deal with. Your only problem will be sailing on HAL after sailing on the Journey.;)

To be fair, HAL now has cabins ready upon embarkation, so one can take his or her carry-ons to the cabin and drop them off before heading for food. Also, HAL's MDR is open to returning HAL cruisers, so that takes some of the pressure off the buffet.

In August on the Quest, I wouldn't call the buffet a "mob scene," but it was very busy, and I couldn't find a place to sit either inside or outside until I had circled the seating areas twice. At the start of my third circle, some folks got up to leave, and a server who had been watching me waved me over to claim the table.

It would help if there were more 2-tops; I travel solo and am happy to sit with other people (although I've also been rebuffed :rolleyes:), but I'll also sit by myself at a 4-top if no 2-top is free, which takes up a table for a larger party.

Rich and dark it was. Paul (I think that's right), the F&B manager, told us it was the best chocolate cake served on Quest, and not to miss it. He was right.

On leg three of our B2B2B we were joined by good friends and headed right to the buffet after they boarded, had a nice corner piece of the cake cut for the four of us, and happily polished it off. That afternoon, when we returned to our stateroom, we found an 8" by 8" corner of the cake waiting for us on the little table with a note saying "Compliments of the F&B Manager." Only on Azamara.:D

Please...please someone tell me they have this chocolate cake on the Journey as well !!:D

HAL has been our only cruise experience to date so we aren"t HAL cheerleaders. We really enjoyed the Noordam and we're really looking forward to the Journey!

I saw the chocolate cake on Quest in March on our first Azamara cruise. Thought I should avoid it as I had 2 weeks to try and keep eating within reasonable bounds. Next April when we are back on her I am having that cake on Embarkation Day :)

Only the buffet and grill bar are open, however I have never found Azamara to be crowded on embarkation day. Those who have opted for late disembarkation leave at 1230, the back to back guests are often ashore, or occasionally at a special lunch in the dining room.

One of the reasons it does not feel crowded is that after you board, Azamara invite you to check in your carry on bags and these are taken by staff direct to your room, so there should not be the same level of belongings taking up the space that is seen on the larger ships

I had not heard of this before. I'm thinking of a b2b for next September. Can you tell me any more about ashore or the special lunch?

Archived