Airline Questions Aero Mexico,TAM Air Canada

travelplus

I found an airfare from San Francisco one way to Brazil for our cruise. I found it for $474 for April 19th. We fly from San Francisco-Mexico City on the 1:00 AM flight arriving around 7:00 AM and leave at 7:20 PM on TAM to Sao Paulo. Is $474 a good price for these flights?

For those who have flown on AeroMexico/TAM in Economy how did you find the service. The reservations gent said we get a sandwich and alcoholic beverage on our AeroMexico flight. On TAM we get full meal and drink service along with the Personal TV on their Airbus 330. I got us seat in the 2-2 section to Sao Paulo.

On the return I'm using United Miles my Grandfather gifted me 30,000 for Air Canada United combo ticket from Barcelona to San Francisco. The Air Canada portion is on their 767 to Toronto then United from Toronto-Chicago and to SFO. How is Air Canada in economy class in terms of their meals/drinks etc?

I was able to get the bulkhead window in the first cabin on Air Canada and United Economy Plus for the United portions of the trip.

Thanks

I found an airfare from San Francisco one way to Brazil for our cruise. I found it for $474 for April 19th. We fly from San Francisco-Mexico City on the 1:00 AM flight arriving around 7:00 AM and leave at 7:20 PM on TAM to Sao Paulo. Is $474 a good price for these flights?

For those who have flown on AeroMexico/TAM in Economy how did you find the service. The reservations gent said we get a sandwich and alcoholic beverage on our AeroMexico flight. On TAM we get full meal and drink service along with the Personal TV on their Airbus 330. I got us seat in the 2-2 section to Sao Paulo.

On the return I'm using United Miles my Grandfather gifted me 30,000 for Air Canada United combo ticket from Barcelona to San Francisco. The Air Canada portion is on their 767 to Toronto then United from Toronto-Chicago and to SFO. How is Air Canada in economy class in terms of their meals/drinks etc?

I was able to get the bulkhead window in the first cabin on Air Canada and United Economy Plus for the United portions of the trip.

Thanks

You found a very good deal , rejoice!

TAM in economy is fine. The service is standard , the food is decent and the equipment is well maintained. The entertainment system is nice.

I haven't flown AeroMexico so no comment there. I always do Chicago / SP on United in Economy Plus. It is nice to have the extra legroom on the long flight.

Try not to bring lots of carry-on items- flights to and from Brazil tend to be really , really overpacked in the overhead bins and it is really hard to find space. It is lots easier if you bring the bare necessities on board with you.

Are you doing a TA ? Sounds fun...enjoy!

We have flown Aero Mexico various times but within Mexico. We are always happy with their service - all types of drinks incl.alcohol on those short flights. Nice crew, good planes.

As far as your Air Canada flights are concerned, the 767 300 ER is an older model (early 90s) however all of them have been completely redone including each seat having an individual video player with fairly current movies and entertainment. As far as the meals you'll usually have a choice of two hot meals (chicken/veggie) as well as a snack or two. Beer and wine are both complimentary.

As far as Air Canada itself, here is an award they have posted on their website:

For a sixth consecutive year, Air Canada was awarded gold for “Best Flight Experience to Canada” in Executive Travel magazine’s 2013 Leading Edge Awards readers’ survey.

We often fly Air Canada and have no complaints.

Thanks for the tips. I limit my self to one checked and one carry on. I have this awesome Tumi Messanger bag that fits my laptop and other nick nacks and travels well in the overhead compartment and under the seat.

I was amazed when I saw the airfare so I booked it. Yes,the Trans Atlantic cruise looked interesting. Truthfully it was between the Serenade out of New Orleans or Splendour out of Santos. Well since we were in New Orleans last year the choice was super easy. I was on the Serenade in 2012 and would not mind going on it again but looking for a new ship the Splendour looked great and the ports at Rio, Salvador de Bahia, Las Palmas and Malaga fit the bill.

In 1998 my family and I spent 6 weeks on Costa Del Sol as my Mother studied Flamenco dancing. This was one of the reasons I wanted to book this trip was so I could see Malaga again where I had so many fond memories. Also I wanted to see Sao Paulo, Rio and Salvador as my Mother was in a dance company from Israel and they toured around Brazil and she told me wonderful stories about the trip.

I also wanted to see Las Palmas again so this itinerary and ship really met my goals.

Our itinerary has us staying in Sao Paulo for 4 nights and Santos for one night before the cruise followed by 5 days in Barcelona.

As a Canadian I fly with them on a regular basis in both economy and business class. With the exception of airlines like Emerates they are as good or better than any North American airline in both classes. Their international business class called Execuitive First is very nice with individual pods that are very private and quite comfortable for even tall people.

Thanks for the tips. I limit my self to one checked and one carry on. I have this awesome Tumi Messanger bag that fits my laptop and other nick nacks and travels well in the overhead compartment and under the seat.

I was amazed when I saw the airfare so I booked it. Yes,the Trans Atlantic cruise looked interesting. Truthfully it was between the Serenade out of New Orleans or Splendour out of Santos. Well since we were in New Orleans last year the choice was super easy. I was on the Serenade in 2012 and would not mind going on it again but looking for a new ship the Splendour looked great and the ports at Rio, Salvador de Bahia, Las Palmas and Malaga fit the bill.

In 1998 my family and I spent 6 weeks on Costa Del Sol as my Mother studied Flamenco dancing. This was one of the reasons I wanted to book this trip was so I could see Malaga again where I had so many fond memories. Also I wanted to see Sao Paulo, Rio and Salvador as my Mother was in a dance company from Israel and they toured around Brazil and she told me wonderful stories about the trip.

I also wanted to see Las Palmas again so this itinerary and ship really met my goals.

Our itinerary has us staying in Sao Paulo for 4 nights and Santos for one night before the cruise followed by 5 days in Barcelona.

While visiting São Paulo , what are your plans? It is a sprawling metropolis ( as I am sure you know) which has its challenges. There are some incredible restaurants and nice museums , but the charm of Brazil is outside of the city.

If you have any questions , feel free to ask.

I am going to New Orleans for the first time in December...very excited!

While visiting São Paulo , what are your plans? It is a sprawling metropolis ( as I am sure you know) which has its challenges. There are some incredible restaurants and nice museums , but the charm of Brazil is outside of the city.

If you have any questions , feel free to ask.

I am going to New Orleans for the first time in December...very excited!

Obrigada Brazilgirl.

First of all we are staying at the Mercure Central Towers located on Maestro Cardim Street by Metro Sao Jouaqim. How far is this from Paulista? We plan to visit the museums and if you recommend a good Brazilian Steakhouse for locals that is not too expensive please give us some tips on where to go.

When we arrive at GRU what is the best way to get to the Mercure Central Towers? How much is a bus to the hotel?

The night before the cruise we are staying in Santos at the Mercure Santos on Av Washington Luiz. What is the best and most economical way from Sao Paulo to Santos? How much is it and where would we catch the bus?

Any other tips in Sao Paulo such at what museums not to miss, any local hangouts not for tourists etc would be most appreciative.

Please send me a Private Message and we can communicate that way. I would be happy to share tips on New Orleans as my Father and I spent three nights there before our cruise in April.

Chiao,

Daniel

Obrigada Brazilgirl.

First of all we are staying at the Mercure Central Towers located on Maestro Cardim Street by Metro Sao Jouaqim. How far is this from Paulista? We plan to visit the museums and if you recommend a good Brazilian Steakhouse for locals that is not too expensive please give us some tips on where to go.

When we arrive at GRU what is the best way to get to the Mercure Central Towers? How much is a bus to the hotel?

The night before the cruise we are staying in Santos at the Mercure Santos on Av Washington Luiz. What is the best and most economical way from Sao Paulo to Santos? How much is it and where would we catch the bus?

Any other tips in Sao Paulo such at what museums not to miss, any local hangouts not for tourists etc would be most appreciative.

Please send me a Private Message and we can communicate that way. I would be happy to share tips on New Orleans as my Father and I spent three nights there before our cruise in April.

Chiao,

Daniel

Daniel...

I ( happily!) do not live in SP. i live in the interior , a couple of hours away.

I always go to SP by car and don't use the public transportation system as I am usually going somewhere very specific. I used the metro with some frequency in the past , but I speak Portuguese and had very good instructions about where I was going.

Please be aware that the public transport is in Portuguese , there is almost no signage in English ( this may have changed recently due to the World Cup).

Bus drivers speak no English.

Buses are very , very crowded as is the metro. I have used the public transport in many countries across the world and it is quite a different experience.

Be sure to have very clear about where you are going before you go out. Use your street smarts at all times

I will look into the bus from the airport and post info ( here , perhaps other travelers can use the info as well).

Boa viagem!

Daniel...

Here is a link to the Airport Bus service in English , which provides schedules etc. it shoild be helpful.

http://www.airportbusservice.com.br/en/home

This link provides info about transport to Santos.

http://www.personalbus.com.br/servicos/portal/ing_index.asp

This link provides info about the metro:

http://www.cidadedesaopaulo.com/sp/en/transportation/subway

Churrascarias are not the cheapest meals in Brazil. There are many excellent options in SP but not sure what price range you are looking for....As you know , SP is a huge megacity , so "the locals" can mean a lot of different things . :)

I would recommend a visit to the Mercado Muncipal...very interesting. You can have a delicious pastel de bacalhau ( a codfish fried pastry) or a mortadela sandwich.

http://www.cidadedesaopaulo.com/sp/en/what-to-see/204-mercado-municipal

The Pinacoteca has beautiful grounds and a nice collection of artwork.

http://www.cidadedesaopaulo.com/sp/en/what-to-see/217-pinacoteca-do-estado

The Monastery is fascinating.

http://www.cidadedesaopaulo.com/sp/en/what-to-see/205-mosteiro-de-sao-bento

Sao Paulo has excellent pizza... This is a winner.

http://www.brazpizzaria.com.br/home#sthash.XovcehWJ.dpbs

Hope this helps.

Kim

Obrigada Brazil Girl,

I will take your advice and of course I will learn some more Portuguese. My Cousin married a Brasilero from Belo Horizonte and i will ask her for more information.

If you have any questions about New Orleans please feel free to ask.

Archived