OK...I Admit I'm Tired And Lazy And Don't Want To Read Down The Board...

Florissouri

I'm not in the mood right now to read a bunch of threads to figure this out so will someone please help me?

I'm flying into SJU on Sunday, September 29 for a 7 day on the Carnival Valor. I'll be alone so what's the most economical mode of transfer to the ship from the airport?

On the return I'll spend the night and take a 3:15 PM flight on Monday back to Ft Lauderdale. What area should I stay in or what hotels?

Thanks.

Take a cab. It's about $20. There is a way to take a public bus for a few dollars but you probably won't have that kind of time. Alone who wants to fool with lugging all that luggage?

Also buy travel insurance in advance. Flying to SJU on the day your cruise departs can be a risky proposition.

Enjoy.

We can't spoon-feed you what hotel you might want. :rolleyes:

You'll really just have to do your own research. What one person likes/wants may not be what YOU like/want.

No hotels provide shuttles either to/from the port or to/from the airport. Taxi is the way to go.

There are several hotels right near the airport in the Isla Verde Beach area. We flew in a day before our cruise (Valor) in May and stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott - Isla Verde Beach. The hotel was 20 minutes from the cruise ship but only about 5 minutes from the airport.

The airport from the windows by elevators at the Courtyard - that's how close it is.

100_6149.jpg

Take a cab. It's about $20. There is a way to take a public bus for a few dollars but you probably won't have that kind of time. Alone who wants to fool with lugging all that luggage?

Also buy travel insurance in advance. Flying to SJU on the day your cruise departs can be a risky proposition.

Enjoy.

Keep in mind I'm in Ft Lauderdale, not New Jersey and Southwest now has several nonstop flights to SJU from FLL. My flight is schedule to arrive at 1:20 PM and the ship doesn't depart until 10:00 PM so I'm not worried.

We can't spoon-feed you what hotel you might want. :rolleyes:

You'll really just have to do your own research. What one person likes/wants may not be what YOU like/want.

No hotels provide shuttles either to/from the port or to/from the airport. Taxi is the way to go.

I'm not a hotel snob and I'm a single, so I just want some recommendations what part of San Juan to stay in. When I first looked at the map it looked like the airport was about 45 minutes away, but apparently that's not the case. I did read a little bit and it appears Old San Juan is a better area to stay. I can get the Sheraton for $99 and the pictures certainly look nice.

I don't think they were saying your were a hotel snob......just that different people have a different idea of "the best area to stay in"

That said, we prefer Old San Juan. But we usually stay 2 or 3 nights pre cruise and love wandering around the area.

Others feel a hotel on the beach is the way to go. We live a couple of blocks from the beach (as you may also in Ft Lauderdale) so staying by the beach isn't a big deal to us......

Others feel staying by the airport is better but this doesn't really benefit you since your flight isn't until 3:15 in the afternoon.

So when you ask where is the best place to stay - with out knowing you and what you really want..... its hard to say.

The airport from the cruiseship can be 20 minutes - or - it can be 45 minutes. Depends on the traffic which at times can be HORRENDOUS ! Leave yourself plenty of time if you are staying in OSJ. The San Juan airport is a zoo too !!!! Worst I have been in....... get there early.

Good luck on the flying in same day. We NEVER do that but a lot of people do.

Keep in mind I'm in Ft Lauderdale, not New Jersey and Southwest now has several nonstop flights to SJU from FLL. My flight is schedule to arrive at 1:20 PM and the ship doesn't depart until 10:00 PM so I'm not worried.

OK, just remember Mother Nature can be a nasty gal during Hurricane season.

As for a hotel, what are you looking for? We stayed at a Quality Inn in Condado because it was economical but it's in a residential area & doesn't have much to offer.

For a true taste of San Juan I'd try to book something in OSJ. I'm guessing a Sunday night might be easier than a Saturday night when the hotels know there's a demand from the cruise passangers but you may run into the same problem.

I'm a huge fan of Priceline for one night stays where I don't care about specific location but can be happy with anything in the general area.

I don't think they were saying your were a hotel snob......just that different people have a different idea of "the best area to stay in"

That said, we prefer Old San Juan. But we usually stay 2 or 3 nights pre cruise and love wandering around the area.

Others feel a hotel on the beach is the way to go. We live a couple of blocks from the beach (as you may also in Ft Lauderdale) so staying by the beach isn't a big deal to us......

Others feel staying by the airport is better but this doesn't really benefit you since your flight isn't until 3:15 in the afternoon.

So when you ask where is the best place to stay - with out knowing you and what you really want..... its hard to say.

The airport from the cruiseship can be 20 minutes - or - it can be 45 minutes. Depends on the traffic which at times can be HORRENDOUS ! Leave yourself plenty of time if you are staying in OSJ. The San Juan airport is a zoo too !!!! Worst I have been in....... get there early.

Good luck on the flying in same day. We NEVER do that but a lot of people do.

I'm not saying anyone is calling me a hotel snob, it's just a statement of fact that I'm not picky about hotels. I just wanted a little feedback.

And yes, you are correct I live a few minutes from world class beaches so that's not important to me.

As far as flying in the same day as the cruise, flying from FLL to SJU is comparable to flying from San Antonio to Dallas. People can't seem to get this out of their home mindset to understand it's just a short hop from Ft Lauderdale.

OK, just remember Mother Nature can be a nasty gal during Hurricane season.

As for a hotel, what are you looking for? We stayed at a Quality Inn in Condado because it was economical but it's in a residential area & doesn't have much to offer.

For a true taste of San Juan I'd try to book something in OSJ. I'm guessing a Sunday night might be easier than a Saturday night when the hotels know there's a demand from the cruise passangers but you may run into the same problem.

I'm a huge fan of Priceline for one night stays where I don't care about specific location but can be happy with anything in the general area.

Trish...

If we are having nasty, hurricane weather in which Southwest can't fly, that also means that ship ain't goin' nowhere and probably is not even back in port.

I'm mostly looking for advice on area so I can make the most of disembarkation day. From the looks of it, the Sheraton is right at the Old San Juan port and in the middle of Old San Juan. Sunday night is wide open for hotel availability and prices are pretty reasonable with no 2 night minimum I've seen on pre-cruise stays.

I still own some property in Hardman County, but have lived several places, including

Indiana and now in Ohio. Just thought that was a catchy place for internet address! How

about you? I spend some time in winter in SJ and love it.

We love staying in Old San Juan, lots to see and you can easily do a self guided walking tour to see all the historic sites in the area, there are the 2 forts that are great to see as well. We have stayed in the Sheraton Old San Juan and we usually try to book that whenever we are going to be there and $99 is a great price for it. Enjoy!

I still own some property in Hardman County, but have lived several places, including

Indiana and now in Ohio. Just thought that was a catchy place for internet address! How

about you? I spend some time in winter in SJ and love it.

I lived in NashVegas for 8 years and grew up 90 miles north of Memphis in the Missouri Bootheel. One of my favorite barbecue restaurants is Bozo's in Mason.

We love staying in Old San Juan, lots to see and you can easily do a self guided walking tour to see all the historic sites in the area, there are the 2 forts that are great to see as well. We have stayed in the Sheraton Old San Juan and we usually try to book that whenever we are going to be there and $99 is a great price for it. Enjoy!

I think that's what I'll do. Thanks.

Is the Sheraton close enough to the port to walk?

I think that's what I'll do. Thanks.

Is the Sheraton close enough to the port to walk?

I am pretty sure Carnival leaves from the one in Old San Juan, so yes, you are practically across the street from it. You will have a nice view from the rooftop pool area of your ship in the morning or you room if you are on that side of the hotel.

I am pretty sure Carnival leaves from the one in Old San Juan, so yes, you are practically across the street from it. You will have a nice view from the rooftop pool area of your ship in the morning or you room if you are on that side of the hotel.

Thanks!

And yes, you are correct I live a few minutes from world class beaches so that's not important to me.

I love visiting Fort Lauderdale and we are considering that area to retire to ...... when we do retire. We lived in Vero Beach for 8 years and love the east coast of Florida.

As far as flying in the same day as the cruise, flying from FLL to SJU is comparable to flying from San Antonio to Dallas. People can't seem to get this out of their home mindset to understand it's just a short hop from Ft Lauderdale.

Ha - had to chuckle at this one. We travel often and usually our biggest problem flights are those from Corpus Christi to Dallas or Houston...... the short "hops". Seems they don't have a plane or they don't have a crew or theres a problem with the plan or the weather is bad here or the weather is bad there...... or..... well you know.

Ha - had to chuckle at this one. We travel often and usually our biggest problem flights are those from Corpus Christi to Dallas or Houston...... the short "hops". Seems they don't have a plane or they don't have a crew or theres a problem with the plan or the weather is bad here or the weather is bad there...... or..... well you know.

I travel a lot as well, but I also used to run a group travel business and charter airliners. Any problems you may have had were not related to the distance of the flight, but the fact Corpus Christi is a small, remote airport. There's a big difference between the Corpus airport and the Ft Lauderdale airport. Just Southwest Airlines alone there's probably a couple thousand flight attendants based in Ft Lauderdale. Getting a replacement crew is not an issue. Corpus Cristi on the other hand, they would probably have to fly in a replacement crew from Houston, Dallas or San Antonio. There are also a lot more aircraft at FLL, but in Corpus Christi you're stuck until they fly in a replacement aircraft.

Again, I'm not in Kansas City, Milwaukee or New Jersey, I'm already down in the Caribbean.

I'm not in the mood right now to read a bunch of threads to figure this out so will someone please help me?

I'm flying into SJU on Sunday, September 29 for a 7 day on the Carnival Valor. I'll be alone so what's the most economical mode of transfer to the ship from the airport?

On the return I'll spend the night and take a 3:15 PM flight on Monday back to Ft Lauderdale. What area should I stay in or what hotels?

Thanks.

Morning!!!

we are on the same Cruise :)

We fly in on Sat and staying at the Sheraton OSJ, which is right across the street to the dock. On the way home we will be staying there again.

From my understanding, (and I could be wrong) once you arrive to the dock and get your luggage on board you can leave again and see the sites due to how late we are sailing.

Although I haven't stayed at the Sheraton I would second the suggestion. OSJ has plenty of great restaurants and the hotel's location is perfect for taking a walk, exploring the sights and then having dinner. The area around the hotel is well lit, just be sensible and stay away from the small alleys, at least at night.

Sheal

Morning!!!

we are on the same Cruise :)

We fly in on Sat and staying at the Sheraton OSJ, which is right across the street to the dock. On the way home we will be staying there again.

From my understanding, (and I could be wrong) once you arrive to the dock and get your luggage on board you can leave again and see the sites due to how late we are sailing.

Where y'all from?

You certainly picked an exotic cruise to start with. Most people start with something simple like a Bahamas or Western Caribbean and work their way up. This is going to make it more difficult to feed your habit. :cool:

Where y'all from?

You certainly picked an exotic cruise to start with. Most people start with something simple like a Bahamas or Western Caribbean and work their way up. This is going to make it more difficult to feed your habit. :cool:

We are from Canada. Gary has been on a couple before me (in his other life lol). I'm from the Eastern most part of the country. So I'm a water/sea baby!! Soo excited. I'm worse than a kid right now! 9 more sleeps till we leave!!

Although I haven't stayed at the Sheraton I would second the suggestion. OSJ has plenty of great restaurants and the hotel's location is perfect for taking a walk, exploring the sights and then having dinner. The area around the hotel is well lit, just be sensible and stay away from the small alleys, at least at night.

Sheal

It seems like a no-brainer. The price is good, easy to get to from the ship and plenty to do and see in the area.

Thanks.

Archived