Do you ever NOT get travel insurance for your cruise?

bornfreenowexpensive

Is the Presidential Plus a premium card -- like Amex Plat? -- that could explain the difference there.

My Explorer card does not have a booklet like the other two -- it's more of a traditional pamphlet. Is there some way you can scan just the pages from the Explorer booklet - or the paragraph under the heading "What is trip cancellation insurance?"

Can you just quote the first paragraph here?

I just called to inquire about the benefits. They are unable to answer any questions about the new benefits until NOvember 1 (guess they have not trained the reps yet). I will call back on 11/1 and try to sort this mess out. I am also going to inquire about whether the benefit "doubles" if you use two different cards that carry the benefit and how this benefit might interact with private trip cancellation insurance. I will also try to solve the discrepancy in benefits among the Explorer cards.

I have, like others an explorer card and a signature card both chase both United. Both now offer ( today) 1500 but will offer 20K/40k effective nov1 . Other chase cards DO NOT OFFER :o what the UAL cards do...plain and simple.

I also have an older UAL card...15 years and on that card they give UAL coupons every year for 2 for 1 air fare from Hawaii to any where in the USA. These cards are no longer offered and it you have one it is great. the card costs me $95 a year... Whoopie doo , because it gets me a free $650.00 to 1200 ticket every year. Not bad for $95.:D

As to what somebody asked about med-jet yes the do transport a body, if you have the policy.

The Chase Marriott Visa ($85 per year, and you get a free night hotel with it) also has the travel cancellation insurance.

Way ahead of you pardner, my wife and I have both had these cards for 2 years now and use them for restauraunts, rental car and hotels ( one guess what brand). The $85 is a pure business decision...getting $250 up to class 5 hotel,a night rooms for $85 is a good deal where I come from

As I recall the UAL now has a better travel deal.

Thus we only fly star alliance and stay in Marriotts.. no exception. Charge all cruises and cruise related on The UAL.:D

I decided to go through the booklets for ALL my credit cards to check on the trip cancellation issue

Marriott Visa gives 3k per person - I had no idea.

Have to charge all of it to a CHase card (not sure if Marriott card only or if any CHase card will do or a combination )

I have written about all of this to The Points Guy (the points guru, credit card benefits guru) -- to see if he can get to the bottom of this discrepancy in benefits. I am ready to tackle it myself on 11/1

I decided to go through the booklets for ALL my credit cards to check on the trip cancellation issue

Marriott Visa gives 3k per person - I had no idea.

Have to charge all of it to a CHase card (not sure if Marriott card only or if any CHase card will do or a combination )

I have written about all of this to The Points Guy (the points guru, credit card benefits guru) -- to see if he can get to the bottom of this discrepancy in benefits. I am ready to tackle it myself on 11/1

Laraine,

Please let us know what you find out.

the Marriott card is also a Chase card just like the UAL cards.

And yes to have a specific trip , tour or the like covered it must be charged in total with the specific card.

Chase is the matrix for many cards but benefits vary widely.

You can do a combo say the Marriott for your hotels, and related

Then with the UA card book the cruise, and all cruise related

The only requirement for you is to have enough credit to qualify for mid range 5 figure line of credit ( $30K to $50K) for your card.:o

As an attorney, and having read the brochures, I am not convinced that waht you say is true.

I plan to call someone up the food chain at Chase benefits and then confirm in writing how this all works. I will report back but I think I need to wait until 11/1

This is information is very intersting and potentially helpful to a number of CCers who might not have been reading this thread. Might I suggest that a separate thread be started, perhaps by Laraine once she gets her answers back? My DH and I have both the Explorer and Preferred Signature cards. To date we have not received a letter with new informaiton on the Explorer card.

Thanks to all who have been contributing to this discussion.

Joanna

This is information is very intersting and potentially helpful to a number of CCers who might not have been reading this thread. Might I suggest that a separate thread be started, perhaps by Laraine once she gets her answers back? My DH and I have both the Explorer and Preferred Signature cards. To date we have not received a letter with new informaiton on the Explorer card.

Thanks to all who have been contributing to this discussion.

Joanna

While the thought of a new thread makes sense and is valuable information for all cruise lines, think one of the confusing things is that appears that the only cards that may carry the higher coverage are those which are co-branded with United Airlines. Many have simply said Explorer and Preferred Signature Cards and those may or may not be co-branded with UAL. Know 1 poster stated that the cover of the new benefit package referenced as applicable the UAL Presidential Plus and UAL Explorer cards. Then I got a scan from another poster United Mileage Plus Explorer and Visa Signature were applicable to that brochure.

Me thinks that there are many different variations on the benefits and brochures so the only way you can know if you don't have the brochure sent out for your specific card is to contact the benefits people after Nov. 1. Pretty sure that one size doesn't fit all and we need to wait for Laraine's investigation and the receipt of the new benefit brochures for our specific cards.

Larraine, please ask about the many different brochures and confusion over different but, similar different cards that Chase puts out.

Thanks all,

While the thought of a new thread makes sense and is valuable information for all cruise lines, think one of the confusing things is that appears that the only cards that may carry the higher coverage are those which are co-branded with United Airlines. Many have simply said Explorer and Preferred Signature Cards and those may or may not be co-branded with UAL. Know 1 poster stated that the cover of the new benefit package referenced as applicable the UAL Presidential Plus and UAL Explorer cards. Then I got a scan from another poster United Mileage Plus Explorer and Visa Signature were applicable to that brochure.

Me thinks that there are many different variations on the benefits and brochures so the only way you can know if you don't have the brochure sent out for your specific card is to contact the benefits people after Nov. 1. Pretty sure that one size doesn't fit all and we need to wait for Laraine's investigation and the receipt of the new benefit brochures for our specific cards.

Larraine, please ask about the many different brochures and confusion over different but, similar different cards that Chase puts out.

Thanks all,

I plan to

I even have brochure numbers

I also have the Chase Sapphire and received the 11/1 benefits guide. 5k per person, 10k per occurrence. No annual fee. Annual fees may be the differential. The UAL cards have annual fees of $95 (10k/20k trip coverage) and $395 (20k/40k coverage).

"Covered Trip means any prepaid tour, trip or vacation when some portion of the cost......has been charged to your Account." (my emphasis).

Also - "The Trip Interruption benefit is excess over any travel insurance purchased by the Insured Person for the same Covered Trip or other indemnity by the airline, cruise line, railroad, station authority, occupancy provider available to the Insured Provider."

Almost sounds too good to be true, but here's hoping.

I also have the Chase Sapphire and received the 11/1 benefits guide. 5k per person, 10k per occurrence. No annual fee. Annual fees may be the differential. The UAL cards have annual fees of $95 (10k/20k trip coverage) and $395 (20k/40k coverage).

"Covered Trip means any prepaid tour, trip or vacation when some portion of the cost......has been charged to your Account." (my emphasis).

Also - "The Trip Interruption benefit is excess over any travel insurance purchased by the Insured Person for the same Covered Trip or other indemnity by the airline, cruise line, railroad, station authority, occupancy provider available to the Insured Provider."

Almost sounds too good to be true, but here's hoping.

Believe you need to read the rest of the partial sentence you are quoting about "covered trip" as it further says less anything paid using points redeemable Rewards, etc.

Sure Laraine will get to the bottom of this but, believe this means you pay the full amount with a combination of credit card charges and points.

Hope you are correct but, your interpretation would allow you to pay say $1K with the Chase card and $9K with another card and get $10K coverage. Highly unlikely but, like your thinking.

Prior to UAL issuing its explorer , club and presidents cards under the UAL banner there was the UAL signature card and the Regular card. I beleive thusly that these extra benifits are presently all under vairing forms of the UAL affinity program....:rolleyes:

What you say Dan makes a lot of sense but, why would have two different but, similar brochures with UAL Explorer in both and Presidential in one and Signature in the other???

Strange way to do business if both are identical inside with the only difference the different cards on the cover????

Laraine, If you want to add my brochure numbers to your bulldogging, here they are.....

United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card World Elite MasterCard (Chase issued, United Airlines co-branded), personal card, $395/annual fee.

Brochure effective 11/01/13, #BGC10328, 52 pages.

United MileagePlus Explorer Card Visa Signature (Chase issued, United Airlines co-branded), personal card, $95/annual fee.

Brochure effective 11/01/13, #BGC10335, 48 pages.

How about using your spouse's UAL MP Explorer Visa Signature card along with yours - split the cost of trip between the 2 cards and you should get $20K /occurrence for each card for a total of 40K (if needed).

Does this sound doable or right?

How about using your spouse's UAL MP Explorer Visa Signature card along with yours - split the cost of trip between the 2 cards and you should get $20K /occurrence for each card for a total of 40K (if needed).

That is one of my questions LOL

I have many more

And I plan to confirm in writing

(the attorney in me)

Since any cruise with a couple is comprised in whole with a seperate fare for each person. Likewise air fare is a per person. Tours booked too would be per person.

So, yes you could treat each persons individual charges and wholy theirs.

If both spouses booked and paid for their cruise fare, air, tours with their respective cards each would be considered independent expenses of that spouse respectively. The seperiate charges on different cards is the key. Each card covers family traveling together.. with mutual benifit....:o that each could benifit from the other.... and have their respective cost refunded.:D

We are booked for 2 future cruises that we paid the deposit with out Chase Sapphire preferred card. After reading about the UAL cards insurance coverage starting Nov 1 I would be more than willing to get the card and to have that coverage. However since I already paid the deposit with my Sapphire card I wonder if I would qualify for that coverage if I paid for the rest of the cruises with the UAL card?