Alaska - Best Month

rhinomike

We are going to cruise Alaska on the Pearl this summer. We can go in June, July or August. We went 3 years ago at the end of June. Is there a better time than others? Why? Thanks everyone.

Assume you mean in 2014? I've cruised Alaska in late May and in mid August. From my viewpoint, I liked May better though June should be perfect and you've already done that. If you wait too long, the snow is melted and there's not so much to see on the mountains -- a travel agent told me eons ago to avoid Alaska cruises from late August through September.... May can be cold, yes, but that was not my experience.

It varies, but summer solstice is June 21. That's the lightest/longest day of the year. If that's something you want to see, go around then. If all the light bothers you, go in late August.

This past year it was quite sunny and warm May through July, and super rainy in August. The year prior was very rainy in July, and quite mild/cold the other months. Weather varies so you can't predict that. However, solstice daylight stays the same. :D

I have been there in all these timeframes. If depends on you. Is there some activity you wish to include, wildlife you wish to see, tours you wish to take?

Any/ all these timeframes have a "best".

Probably I am looking forward to Glacier Bay the most.

On the Star we loved cruising up Tracy Arm. Being in the canyon, seeing the waterfalls and of course the ice.

You never know what you will get with the weather here in Alaska. For us in most of AK this summer, June and July were amazing. Sunny and warm. Best that we have experienced in years.However, there are summers that are horrible.

This August and September were very rainy. In fact in Anchorage, it rained for 18 consecutive days from August 27 thru Sept 13.

It is all a roll of the dice....

There is no best month. You just never know what to expect. It really is the luck of the draw. Even historical weather can be thrown out the window.

I would find a date that works best for you and go with that.

With that said I prefer going when it is a little less crowded. Yes, in those months there will still be a lot of tourists but you will find less children meaning less people in port in June over July and August.

Keith

"Best" for what?? :confused:

Salmon? Bears? Glacier access/viewing? Rain/no rain? Number of children on board? Daylight hours? Temperature?

The answer for "best" will change depending on your priorities.

And, even so, it's impossible to predict things like weather accurately.

Personally, I like end of July to early August. I've been earlier in July and later in August, and it was cooler and wetter on both of those trips, but maybe that's just chance.

Archived