Clinique Cosmetics in St. Thomas

Yankee Doodle

I find the prices to be the same as here at home. The difference is that there are no taxes. I think I saved 90 cents on a Clinique product last cruise.

I think you may realize a good amount of savings if you needed to stock up on a lot of products.

My wife has used Clinique for many years.

She finds that you are better to wait and purchase at home and buy only when they are offering the Clinique promotions with the gifts that are included. You may save a little bit on the ship or in port but you won't get those gifts and often she can use the various items that are included.

Keith

St.Thomas used to have a nice perfume/cosmetic shop for over 50 years right at the top of Main Street. They shared the building with Longchamps and it was one of our favorite places to shop for dozens of years until one day we arrived and it was gone. We were so sad. Business was so awful during the economic hard times they couldn't survive. We shopped there so much we got to know one of their sales ladies and learned she shared by DH's birthday. We always wished her Happy Birthday when we came. I don't know who/where now sells any nice perfumes/cometics aside from AH Riise.

My wife has used Clinique for many years.

She finds that you are better to wait and purchase at home and buy only when they are offering the Clinique promotions with the gifts that are included. You may save a little bit on the ship or in port but you won't get those gifts and often she can use the various items that are included.

Keith

I decided to try the Clinique brand because of the gift bag that came along with purchase. Great little travel size samples! I think I'll be keeping my eye out at home for any future purchases I plan make.

Thanks!

Nancy

PS....I guess St. Thomas and St. Maarten are all about jewelry and alcohol any more.

Nancy, St. Maarten does have attractive prices on jewelry. On our visit there earlier this year we purchased a piece of jewelry of a company that does not discount at all in the USA but they allow them to discount there. We saved about 15% on the price of the jewelry and on top of that the state income tax that we would have paid at home. The key to me is to do your homework ahead of time to understand if there really is a savings. In our case there was.

Keith

I decided to try the Clinique brand because of the gift bag that came along with purchase. Great little travel size samples!

They have TONS of the "gift" bags at The Cosmetic Company stores in outlet centers. When Clinique was still making the eye cream with SPF that I liked, I used to buy them at the outlet center in Williamsburg VA.....

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/brands/brands_3rd_level.asp?id=486

This is funny for me to continue commenting about Clinique but my wife has been using the product since college. You get much nicer gift items when you wait for the promotions at the various department stores rather than at say the outlets.

Keith

I'm not sure what you mean by "nicer" but if all the OP is looking for is travel sizes, then she could certainly stock up at an outlet. There you just pay the flat fee as marked for the bag & contents.

But since they cancelled the only product of theirs I use, no Clinique for me :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you mean by "nicer" but if all the OP is looking for is travel sizes, then she could certainly stock up at an outlet. There you just pay the flat fee as marked for the bag & contents.

But since they cancelled the only product of theirs I use, no Clinique for me :rolleyes:

The original poster is looking for Clinique and never said travel sizes. When you purchase Clinique in a department store when they are running a promotion you get a very nice gift that includes several products usually in a nice case. This gift is much nicer than what one could get as a gift in an outlet and no gift is offered when you purchase them on a ship or say in the Caribbean. The gift is worth quite a bit.

Keith

I decided to try the Clinique brand because of the gift bag that came along with purchase. Great little travel size samples!

The original poster is looking for Clinique and never said travel sizes.

Sorry - I read this phrase as meaning she liked and wanted to find more of the travel sizes. And at the outlets, you can just flat out buy the samples sizes without buying a full size product you may or may not want just to get the "gift" bag. If you always buy Clinique, then sure, it makes sense to wait to buy what you want until a Dept Store is having a gift, but if not, go to the outlets and buy what you really want - the samples. There are solutions for everyone;)

I usually buy all my makeup (including Clinique) and skincare products at sephora.com. They have free shipping and samples, plus a reward program where you can choose gifts with points. I like the stores because I can shop several brands without having to be "helped" at the different department store counters.

I'm a plan ahead person. There are a few Clinique and Lancome products I use all the time and when I know I will need something soon, I wait for the gift with purchase. My purchase of the Clinique soap on (I think it was St. Thomas, we really didn't shop anywhere else) was full sized and something I needed.

I don't recall seeing any sample sizes for sale onboard any cruise ship or port stop. I know I've seen them in department stores and Sephora and they seem rather expensive to purchase.

The closest outlet mall for me would be at least 40 miles, so I just don't go there. I find department store sales a better bargain anyway and don't need to spend $15 in gas to go find sales. We have an outlet store for our company, their prices on sale items are the same as what we sell them for (first or second mark-down). Prior to shipping out to outlet, we sometimes mark them down even further, making our final sale price 20-40% lower than what it eventually sells for in the outlet store (they mark the price back up to the first or second mark-down). Seems odd to me, that they wouldn't mark down further, but that's the way it's done. It also seems odd to me that an item can sit on the shelf for a couple months, eventually marking down 50% or more, no one touches it. But put it in an outlet mall @ 30% off, people eat it up. It makes me wonder if people really think they are getting great deals at outlet malls.

All I've ever seen at outlet malls are picked over junk, special purchase for sale items and overpriced items that are still way over my budget.

I usually buy all my makeup (including Clinique) and skincare products at sephora.com. They have free shipping and samples, plus a reward program where you can choose gifts with points. I like the stores because I can shop several brands without having to be "helped" at the different department store counters.

Thanks, Klauer. I can see how Sephora.com would work, especially if you know exactly what you want in the Clinique line.

Nancy

Just an FYI, Bon Ton is having their Good Will sale. You can get 20% off of Clinique. Sale runs through October 6. If you visit their site, you can see this offer.

Thanks for the tip. Do you need to have a Bon Ton credit card? I live in Southern Maryland and department stores are in short supply! :)

Nancy

I have to admit that I love shopping at good outlet malls, even though I know that I'm not always getting a great "deal". I OD'd on "gift with purchase" and "purchase with purchase" items when I worked near a department store, and ended up with a ton of sample-sized items that I never used.

Nancy, St. Maarten does have attractive prices on jewelry. On our visit there earlier this year we purchased a piece of jewelry of a company that does not discount at all in the USA but they allow them to discount there. We saved about 15% on the price of the jewelry and on top of that the state income tax that we would have paid at home. The key to me is to do your homework ahead of time to understand if there really is a savings. In our case there was.

Keith

Keith, I've always thought it was difficult trying to compare jewelry prices both in St. Maarten and St. Thomas to those found in the US. I can see that you might be able to compare watch prices with the US, but not sure how one would "compare" jewelry with diamonds or other precious stones? Even gold would be different gram weights, wouldn't it?

Reading your post, obviously you found a jeweler that does business both in the States and the Islands?

Interesting noticing all the "front men" in front of the different jewelry stores trying to entice you to come in and look around! Difficult to browse in the store windows......

Nancy

Thanks for the tip. Do you need to have a Bon Ton credit card? I live in Southern Maryland and department stores are in short supply! :)

Nancy

Bon Ton credit card not required!!!!

I received a coupon in my e-mail. Not sure why:confused: I do not have their cc. But you can go to the store with a gently used item to donate and you get a coupon. Or online, just entire GOODWILL13S at checkout in the promo code box.

Archived