Need recent river reviews!

riversights

Some of these cruise threads are a little stale. I'm hoping that some of you who have been on the river this summer will review your experience for us. We are thirsty for chatter from you. How was your cabin, the food, the service, the romance?:D

We're all waiting...

We went in Aug Was surprised at how good the food was I was not expecting it to be great

The cabins on deck 2 were roomy & more private than the ones on the higher decks that opened on to the public deck...we preferred the that

I did post a review

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/great-american-steamboat-company-cruises/cl/

but if you have any specific questions I will try to answer

Lyn

We had a nice peaceful cruise

We did try not to have too much Ice cream & popcorn :D

DH said he would go again no problem

I just found the logistics of getting to the embarkation port & back from the debarkation port a pain for us

Should have booked a R/T one ;)

Not every cruise is perfect but we did enjoy the American Queen a lot

Lyn

I'm intrigued by your comment about "pain" relative to the embarkation point. Please say more about that. Are you referring to finding your way back to where you left your car? The expense of it?

Whatever the case, it sounds like you enjoyed a grand river experience, would do it again, and returned home in high spirits with money left over.:)

I'm intrigued by your comment about "pain" relative to the embarkation point. Please say more about that. Are you referring to finding your way back to where you left your car? The expense of it?

Whatever the case, it sounds like you enjoyed a grand river experience, would do it again, and returned home in high spirits with money left over.:)

The pain is just me having to organize flights from Toronto to PIT then a flight back to Toronto from CIN

Not cheap & finding flight times to suit us on different airlines is more $$

Would have been better if DH would have driven but then where to park the car ...not cheap in Pittsburgh

Some did drive & some took the train

Not sure about money in my pocket on the return ;)

But we did enjoy the trip & would do it again maybe even a longer cruise

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

I have just come from googling American queen steamboat company and was impressed with what I saw. That being said I just returned from the Columbia/Snake River cruise on American Cruise Lines, Queen of the colomba and while I enjoyed the cruising part and the ship was comfortable, the food and dining room service was abominable to the extent that I will not cruise with them again, (I posted a review for details) especially since I did not even receive the courtesy of a reply to my letter to the company! I am still interested in doing the Mississippi from st. Paul to New Orleans. I couldn't find any back to back cruises, do you know if they offer them? What was the dining room service like...I waited 45 minutes for a bowl of blueberries and cup of yogurt! Does the dining room staff do double duty as the housekeeping staff? Do they have a first aid kit or any kind of emergency medical care on board? I love the idea of the hop on hop off bus....am I correct in thinking it is included? and do you have time to get off at all the stops or is it a drive by type tour? Of course I understand that I can't get off at the first stop, spend 5 hours and then expect to see everything else, but I'm not a novice traveler and I know what I want to see and do and what I'm not interested in. I know this is long, but I'd really like some input before I pay a lot of money for a trip that wasn't worth half what I paid for it!!

hydrokitty

I have just come from googling American queen steamboat company and was impressed with what I saw. That being said I just returned from the Columbia/Snake River cruise on American Cruise Lines, Queen of the colomba and while I enjoyed the cruising part and the ship was comfortable, the food and dining room service was abominable to the extent that I will not cruise with them again, (I posted a review for details) especially since I did not even receive the courtesy of a reply to my letter to the company! I am still interested in doing the Mississippi from st. Paul to New Orleans. I couldn't find any back to back cruises, do you know if they offer them? What was the dining room service like...I waited 45 minutes for a bowl of blueberries and cup of yogurt! Does the dining room staff do double duty as the housekeeping staff? Do they have a first aid kit or any kind of emergency medical care on board? I love the idea of the hop on hop off bus....am I correct in thinking it is included? and do you have time to get off at all the stops or is it a drive by type tour? Of course I understand that I can't get off at the first stop, spend 5 hours and then expect to see everything else, but I'm not a novice traveler and I know what I want to see and do and what I'm not interested in. I know this is long, but I'd really like some input before I pay a lot of money for a trip that wasn't worth half what I paid for it!!

hydrokitty

First AQSC is not the same as ACL

The dinner service was very prompt but we had 1 sitting as the ship was not full plus you could also eat in the Grill (buffet) upstairs if you wanted

The food was top notch & the servers were very good

I did not look for a first aid station but I would think there was one onboard ..there is no doctor onboard unless they are a paying guest

We were in small towns on the Ohio river & minimal time in port most were 8am to 1 pm there was time to see what was there

The HOHO was included & entrance to some of the museums also included.. it will be noted in the itinerary

They do have other excursions that a pay for use ... the prices seemed reasonable ..we did not partake of any

I think you would have to piece together several cruises to do the route you want

I am sure if you call them the res agents are very knowledgeable

It would probably take several weeks to complete that journey

Check the travel guide

http://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/travel-guide/

We enjoyed the cruise very much

Lyn

Thank you Lyn, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I've sent for a brochure and as soon as I get it will check on plane fares to New Orleans and St Louis. thank goodness for southwest!!:D

You may have to look at the end of the season up north to sail from St Louis to NOLA

I have seen some R/T out of NOLA but they do not go too far up the river in 9 or 10 days

Lyn

You may have to look at the end of the season up north to sail from St Louis to NOLA

I have seen some R/T out of NOLA but they do not go too far up the river in 9 or 10 days

Lyn

I've pretty much given up on doing Mississippi in one trip!! We prefer to travel in Sept. and Oct. anyway. So I'm going to book us a couple of days on our own in NOLA and St. Louis and try to coordinate Minnesota State Fair with Northern Mississippi. Thank goodness Southwest flies from our backyard to all three cities.:D

Hydrokitty,

no, on the AQ the dining room staff has no double duties as housekeeping staff.

The UMR (St. Louis - St. Paul) is usually done during the summer and the fall foliage. So compared to an ocean cruise that´s the Med. During the winter season usually there are only New Orleans roundtrips or New Orleans - Memphis (you´re now in the Caribbean). St. Louis - New Orleans is like a repo/TA cruise ;). So it´s not done pretty often.

When still all boats were running there used to be the Great Steamboat Race from New Orleans to St. Louis which ended on July 4th in St. Louis to remember the famous race between the Natchez and the Robt. E. Lee. Usually the Delta Queen and the Mississippi Queen were doing the race (and 2007 and 2008 it was the DQ and the AQ). Both parts from New Orleans to St. Louis and St. Louis to St. Paul are at least 7 night cruises. So the total would be at least 14 nights.

steamboats

I've pretty much given up on doing Mississippi in one trip!! We prefer to travel in Sept. and Oct. anyway. So I'm going to book us a couple of days on our own in NOLA and St. Louis and try to coordinate Minnesota State Fair with Northern Mississippi. Thank goodness Southwest flies from our backyard to all three cities.:D

sounds like a good plan

check their promotions..they probably still have space for this year ;)

Archived