Best way from Dallas to Galveston

vigurl

You might want to spend some time reading these boards about the high price of getting to Galveston from Houston. You would have to fly to Houston unless you are taking a bus. Then you would need to obtain transportation to Galveston. You live close enough to drive fairly quick and save a lot of money. You can stay at a hotel that offers free parking for the cruise week. Take an extra day off work and drive back relaxed the day after the cruise. We usually drive to CA when cruising from there. Much better option!

I've researched getting from Hobby to Galveston and come to the conclusion its not easy especially if you come in the day before. If coming in the day of I would use the Ships transfer which seems to be the least expensive. Coming in the day before and want to stay in Galveston the day before it's either a taxi or a limo service, which seems to be about the same price. $100-$140 each way. Good Luck in whichever you choose

Keith

I've researched getting from Hobby to Galveston and come to the conclusion its not easy especially if you come in the day before. If coming in the day of I would use the Ships transfer which seems to be the least expensive. Coming in the day before and want to stay in Galveston the day before it's either a taxi or a limo service, which seems to be about the same price. $100-$140 each way. Good Luck in whichever you choose

Keith

The only issue with this is if you are cruising Disney. Disney no longer offers transfers from Hobby.

• 1 year later...

I wonder if we can revive this thread, as it is a subject I'm trying to figure out right now. I'm going on a trans-atlantic cruise leaving out of Houston Bayport cruise terminal. I wouldn't mind driving to Houston, but I can't bear the thought of flying back through Dallas to go to Houston to pick up my car and then have to drive home--all after a 3 week vacation. I know my international flight back will undoubtedly land in Dallas and then I would have to connect to Houston. I'd much rather be home when I land in Dallas!

Any thoughts? Greyhound? Megabus? Fly (I'd rather not, just because I'd rather start the trip without the hassle of TSA...)... I think Bayport is closer to Houston than Galveston. Hobby seems to be pretty close versus the bus routes which seem to end in downtown Houston...

Thanks for any ideas!

Any thoughts? Greyhound? Megabus? Fly (I'd rather not, just because I'd rather start the trip without the hassle of TSA...)... I think Bayport is closer to Houston than Galveston. Hobby seems to be pretty close versus the bus routes which seem to end in downtown Houston...

Thanks for any ideas!

I take Megabus all of the time to and from San Antonio/Dallas/Austin. Not sure where the stop is in Houston, but in Dallas I take the light rail from DFW to downtown. Drops off about 2 blocks from the Megabus stop. The only catch is that it is one bag per ticket, if you have more than one, you need to buy a ticket for each suitcase, usually not a problem, because if you buy it more than a few weeks ahead of time, it is only a couple of bucks each anyway. I always get a reserved seat or two, that way I don't have to worry about anyone sitting next to me. Yes, they enforce both the baggage and reserved seats rules.