Lanai cabins and smokers

Retired Educator

While NOT new to cruising we just booked our first HAL cruise and decided to try their Lanai (CA) cabins that open directly onto the walk around deck (6). A phone call to their customer service assured me that smoking is NOT allowed on that deck, but is OK on balconies and an area on Lido... If anyone has used one of these cabins can you please let me know if that information is correct? We will be sailing on the Maasdam out of Montreal to Florida in October of 2014, so would have time to change cabins/categories if smoking is allowed on the promenade deck. (I use oxygen and am very aware of smoking as well as strong perfumes, etc :eek:)

The Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam do not have Lanai cabins. When I was on the Veendam in a Lanai two summers ago, smoking was allowed on one side of the Lower Promenade where the lanai cabins are, but since then, there is no smoking on that deck so you should be OK.

In June, Oosterdam had no ashtrays and actually had no smoking signs all the way around the deck, but since it is a Vista ship your situation maybe different.

Major THANK YOU to all who so quickly responded to my question! Just confirms my suspicion that cruisers are very special and helpful people! Now, if I can just learn to speak French in the next 12 months so I don't get lost in Montreal and miss my sail away...LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Keep smiling...make them wonder what you're up to!

Smoking WAS allowed on the starboard side of the lower promenade on Veendam a couple of weeks ago.

The way I read the smoking policy, smoking should not have been allowed there.

The policy spells out specific areas where smoking is allowed. One of the bullets has "Outside decks", then, below that and indented, there is a list of some of the outside decks. Very few, as a matter of fact, and the promenade (whether the Lower Promenade or Promenade Deck) is not one of them.

That indentation says to me that they are an explanation of what came above.

I also read the definition of smoking areas to preclude the lower promenade deck, however; that is not the case. To refresh folks memories of a previous smoking discussion, here is a now locked thread where smoking areas were discussed. I even placed a call to ship services which specifically confirmed that smoking is allowed on a portion of the lower promenade on Veendam.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39743293#post39743293

Seriously - right outside all those Lanai cabins? Was smoking also allowed starboard side of the aft Lido deck "Bar at the Retreat"?

Yes, people were smoking outside the lanai cabins. Perhaps some of them were occupants of those cabins, but there's no way to know that. I was on the opposite side and there were also some who smoked freely on that side unless someone spoke up and told them they would need to go elsewhere. I don't know about the bar at the retreat as the weather wasn't conducive to spending much time out there.

Yes, people were smoking outside the lanai cabins. Perhaps some of them were occupants of those cabins, but there's no way to know that. I was on the opposite side and there were also some who smoked freely on that side unless someone spoke up and told them they would need to go elsewhere. I don't know about the bar at the retreat as the weather wasn't conducive to spending much time out there.

Thank you so much. You have no idea how helpful you have been. I needed to decide between two cruises. Veedam was one and a Vista ship the other. On Vista's we book Neptune Suites, but on R&S ships we usually book C cabins because we love the LP deck. We don't be booking Veendam now.

Smoking WAS allowed on the starboard side of the lower promenade on Veendam a couple of weeks ago.

But are you sure that smoking was going on because it's allowed by policy, or only because no one in authority stopped the smokers?

Yes, I read what you posted that Seattle had said, but I have no faith in what Seattle says. Call there three times, and get three different answers. :rolleyes:

But are you sure that smoking was going on because it's allowed by policy, or only because no one in authority stopped the smokers?

Yes, I read what you posted that Seattle had said, but I have no faith in what Seattle says. Call there three times, and get three different answers. :rolleyes:

OH. GOOD. GRIEF. This is a prime example of why newer posters stop posting here. Y'all enjoy your "new posters/cruisers are always wrong" club. I have better things to do.

Thank you so much. You have no idea how helpful you have been. I needed to decide between two cruises. Veedam was one and a Vista ship the other. On Vista's we book Neptune Suites, but on R&S ships we usually book C cabins because we love the LP deck. We don't be booking Veendam now.

If smoking is still allowed on cabin balconies, even in a suite you can have a smoker next door.

OH. GOOD. GRIEF. This is a prime example of why newer posters stop posting here. Y'all enjoy your "new posters/cruisers are always wrong" club. I have better things to do.

What's with this reaction? I am trying desperately to understand HAL's smoking policy. I love to sit out on Lower Promenade, and do not want to be bothered by smoke. I am trying to understand if your report of smoking being allowed was an oversight on the part of the ship's authorities, or a deliberate action by those same authorities.

btw---I didn't happen to notice when you registered with CC, or how many posts you have, until you pointed it out. But since you did, I notice you registered with this site back in 2000, and I would hardly call that being a "new poster".

The way I read the smoking policy, smoking should not have been allowed there.

The policy spells out specific areas where smoking is allowed. One of the bullets has "Outside decks", then, below that and indented, there is a list of some of the outside decks. Very few, as a matter of fact, and the promenade (whether the Lower Promenade or Promenade Deck) is not one of them.

That indentation says to me that they are an explanation of what came above.

Ruth, when I was on the Zuiderdam a couple of weeks ago I asked the concierge, because I thought the same, but I saw a guy smoking there, but no ashtrays. She said that smoking is still allowed on the Lower Promenade, on "the side where the ashtrays are". Hmmmmm.

Huh??:confused: Are there some posts missing that would explain this reaction?

Archived