Florida books....

LHC

Yes, sadly he is. Have you ever read Nothing Can Go Wrong by him? Great travelogue type book. Long oop, but sometimes one turns up on ebay.

I googled - John McDonald Nothing Can Go Wrong - and got a link for Amazon who do have copies available. It was written in 1977. Below is a review I copied from Amazon:

By A Customer

This review is from: Nothing Can Go Wrong (Hardcover)

One of the most delightful accounts of life on a cruise ship. The historic last long journey of a ship under the American flag reveals all of the personalities that come together and learn to relate in a confined space. The real adventures of the passengers and crew will keep you laughing through every chapter. A book that I re-read before every cruise. As any traveller can tell you, don't believe anyone when they say "Nothing Can Go Wrong".

I agree with the recommended Carl Hiaasen, John D. MacDonald, and Randy Wayne White for good Florida reads. A couple of much older books would be The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings and To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway.

I googled - John McDonald Nothing Can Go Wrong - and got a link for Amazon who do have copies available. It was written in 1977. Below is a review I copied from Amazon:

By A Customer

This review is from: Nothing Can Go Wrong (Hardcover)

One of the most delightful accounts of life on a cruise ship. The historic last long journey of a ship under the American flag reveals all of the personalities that come together and learn to relate in a confined space. The real adventures of the passengers and crew will keep you laughing through every chapter. A book that I re-read before every cruise. As any traveller can tell you, don't believe anyone when they say "Nothing Can Go Wrong".

I have read it several times and still laugh out loud at many points. If you can find it, buy it. You won't regret it.

Darn ... I did it .... thanks to the good memories this thread brought back :D

I just went to Amazon and ordered John McDonald Nothing Can Go Wrong and the first 3 Travis McGee novels. Will be good reading for our next cruise! :):)

Many libraries carry Kindle format books for check out. My local library carries 21 of John D. MacDonald's books, for instance. You might want to check your library in the future.

Many libraries carry Kindle format books for check out. My local library carries 21 of John D. MacDonald's books, for instance. You might want to check your library in the future.

Wow .... thanks - I hadn't thought of checking there. Would save a ton for paper books. I haven't gone "e-book" yet but DH and I are considering exchanging them for Christmas. :)

Wow .... thanks - I hadn't thought of checking there. Would save a ton for paper books. I haven't gone "e-book" yet but DH and I are considering exchanging them for Christmas. :)

If your local library doesn't have ebooks online, or a poor selection, there are still some libraries that will allow you to get a non-resident card for online checkouts. My local (Volusia County, FL) has a good selection. But, I also have a card from Charlotte-Mecklenburg Co, NC. I think I only pay $35 a year for that one.

thanks for this thread and the tips - i have downloaded the first travis mcgee book and its great!! will now look for 2 or 3 more for my cruise in november......thanks again you guys are the best, from over the pond

If your local library doesn't have ebooks online, or a poor selection, there are still some libraries that will allow you to get a non-resident card for online checkouts. My local (Volusia County, FL) has a good selection. But, I also have a card from Charlotte-Mecklenburg Co, NC. I think I only pay $35 a year for that one.

$35 is a lot less than I spend on paperbacks a year ... I'll look into it:)

Archived