Florida books....

LHC

Okay it is less than 3 mos until my first back to back cruise! The new paperwhite Kindel is coming out the end of this month, and since I kindly gave mine to my military son, plan on buying it.

I have read all the Carl Hiaason books and currently am reading a murder mystery set in Orlando, which is a hoot.

Any suggestions for additions to my new toy?

LHC

The Doc Ford books or any book by Randy Wayne White.

Books by Jimmy Buffett - yes, THE Jimmy Buffett, lives in Palm Beach.

Edna Buchanan, great reporter from the Miami Herald, now retired.

My favorites but not Florida Books - Lee Child

I'll probably remember more as I send this

Enjoy, MaryA

Okay it is less than 3 mos until my first back to back cruise! The new paperwhite Kindel is coming out the end of this month, and since I kindly gave mine to my military son, plan on buying it.

I have read all the Carl Hiaason books and currently am reading a murder mystery set in Orlando, which is a hoot.

LHC

Read A LAND REMEMBERED, by Patrick Smith. $9.95 for Kindle. A wonderful book on old Florida. I intend to download it for our cruise next month.

LHC

If you like mysteries, Blaize Clement writes the Dixie Hemingway series set on the Gulf coast of Florida.

What is the title of the book you are reading set in Orlando?

First, I am female. Second, read everything but sci-fi and horror. My current book is written by Cynthia Baxter called murder packs a suitcase. Just finished it. Very good set in Orlando.

Thanks for the suggestions. I love real books. But nothing beats a kindle for travel.

Happy Cruising

LHC

Linda

Travis McGee Novels by John D. MacDonald

Not sure that these would be available for downloading .... I've gotten used copies thru Amazon ... but worth mentioning for those interested in old Florida settings and detective novels with great characters.

They're 1960-70's Florida detective novels. The titles with a color in the name are about a detective named Travis McGee who lived on a boat at Bahia Mar (the big marina you can see from the tall, round hotel in Ft Lauderdale.) The plots are great, the characters are vivid and, of course, the setting is nostalgic. My DH grew up in the Ft Lauderdale/Miami area and he says the settings are "the way it really was".

I am always amazed at what I learn on Cruise critic. I have many reading ideas for my winter sojourn in Florida now!!

Some books you would enjoy but not specifically Florida are by Nevada Barr. Each book in the Anna Pigeon series takes place in a US National Park since she is a park ranger. I have made it my mission in life to visit all the parks she has written about!! "Flashback" takes place in the Dry Tortugas off of Key West.

Read some of the old Carl H. books. Please, oh please, do not think we live like his characters do!!:D

He actually does like to pick up odd occurences from the newspapers and go wild with them. One was someone's goal to build a theme park based on bass fishing. Don't need any more theme parks.

A Land Remembered or any book by Patrick Smith is recommended. He is not native born but went and lived with the Seminoles (not at FL. STATE!) and wrote from memories of the Indians.

I ,too, like all the mystery writers from FL.

Not sure that these would be available for downloading .... I've gotten used copies thru Amazon ... but worth mentioning for those interested in old Florida settings and detective novels with great characters.

They're 1960-70's Florida detective novels. The titles with a color in the name are about a detective named Travis McGee who lived on a boat at Bahia Mar (the big marina you can see from the tall, round hotel in Ft Lauderdale.) The plots are great, the characters are vivid and, of course, the setting is nostalgic. My DH grew up in the Ft Lauderdale/Miami area and he says the settings are "the way it really was".

Yes. At least some of the Travis McGee books are available for kindle. Great reads! And lots of titles.

Not Florida, but "The Path Between the Seas" about the building of the Panama Canal is very good.

Yes, Murder Packs a Suitcase by Cynthia Baxter is a good one. Unfortunately she only wrote 2 in that series before the publisher killed it. The other one takes place in Aspen.

Another vote for the Dixie Hemingway books by Blaize Clement. They are very good but read them in the order written. The author passed away a couple of years ago and her last effort The Cat Sitters Pajamas was cowritten with her son John and you could tell the book was off. A major character left and a lot of loose ends were not tied up. Her son has since written another book in the series based on his mother's outline but I'm not sure I want to read it.

Also Elaine Viets writes a cozy mystery series that takes place in Fort Lauderdale called the Dead End Jobs Mysteries featuring Helen Hawthorne. Not to be confused with her Mystery Shopper Series featuring Josie whose last name I've forgotten that take place in St. Louis. I love both her series but only dead end jobs takes place in Florida except for the one that came out last year where Helen works as a cabin steward on a private yacht sailing to the Bahamas.

Enjoy your cruise!

I read these books when they came out & really enjoyed them, I assume John D. McDonald must be dead by now.:(

This is another vote for Tim Dorsey, IF you have a warped sense of humor. DH and I find them laugh-out-loud funny but you have to understand that the main character is a psychotic murderer (at times). And his usual sidekick is seriously addled by all the illegal substances he ingests.

BUT! Serge (the main character) loves Florida, and reading the books gives you a great look into the history and geography of the state. I found that the best experience was reading the book with google earth at your side. Everywhere he goes is REAL, down to individual streets... it's a kick!

I've learned SO MUCH about Florida...REALLY....from Serge!

I read these books when they came out & really enjoyed them, I assume John D. McDonald must be dead by now.:(

Yes, sadly he is. Have you ever read Nothing Can Go Wrong by him? Great travelogue type book. Long oop, but sometimes one turns up on ebay.

Archived