Loads of Balls.

Bluebury

Ok, this is our first time on P&O and just seen a page with the dress codes. There are 4 Balls on our cruise, what do they all mean and how do they differ?

Welcome Aboard, Ladies, Black and White and finally Landfall.

Also, where can we eat if we find that 4 Balls are just too much?

Thanks for your help.

There is no real difference between the 'balls' except 'black and white'implies all your clothing is black or white. Don't worry about it though if you turn up in a bright green dress :D

the buffet and maybe an alternative restaurant is available if you want to dress evening casual on formal nights. a lot of the venues will also welcome evening casual on those evenings.

It varies from ship to and all the info is one the P&O site but if you tell us what ship you are on we can give more details.

Hi, the balls you mention are just opportunities to do ballroom/sequence dancing. They are only one form of entertainment for the evening and you do not need to go to the dancing if you prefer to do something else. Balls are usually on formal nights - at other times it may just be called 'dancing' which may be to cds and not live music. Hope that helps. Sue

I think the word "balls" gives the wrong impression. Depending on the length of your cruise you will have some formal evenings - usually 4 on a two week cruise. Don't think women wear ball gowns, but most dress in what I would call formal wear - either long dresses or long skirts, tops, maybe a dressy jacket or shrug. Some women will wear cocktail dresses - very few ballgowns to be seen. On most of the P&O cruises a high percentage of men will be in dinner jackets - on our last Caribbean cruise I would say over 90% of men were in DJs. The others will wear a lounge suit.

If you don't want to dress formally then you can eat in the buffet that night but there will be some bars that insist on formal wear on a formal evening - there will be a notice outside these bars giving the dress code of the evening.

So I would forget the word "balls" and think of those evenings as "formal". One of the evenings is usually a Black and White evening and again most women will wear either black and white or perhaps black with a splash of white - a pashmina, or a flower, or stole. Yes not every woman will be wearing black and white but I would say that those who don't do rather stand out. You would not be refused admittance if you were not wearing black and white - it depends on whether you are happy to be different and there's nothing wrong in that. The Black and White evening does tend to be the most formal evening of the cruise.

I hope some of this helps.:)

Just remember to check the horizon newspaper to see which is black and white night. I checked P & O site for the dress codes and made a list of what I was wearing for each night. Black and white night was down for 4th formal but then on the ship it was changed to 3rd. I hadn't read horizon so I was that lady that turned up in a bright green dress. Best thing is I hadn't realised until I was looking at the photos next day.:D I thought people were looking at me because I looked so nice haha

Just remember to check the horizon newspaper to see which is black and white night. I checked P & O site for the dress codes and made a list of what I was wearing for each night. Black and white night was down for 4th formal but then on the ship it was changed to 3rd. I hadn't read horizon so I was that lady that turned up in a bright green dress. Best thing is I hadn't realised until I was looking at the photos next day.:D I thought people were looking at me because I looked so nice haha

And indeed I'm sure they were m'dear! :D

On our last cruise on Ventura we only had a daily Horizon, previously we had been given a summary full cruise one as well so we could check. Are they still doing that on most ships?

On our last cruise on Ventura we only had a daily Horizon, previously we had been given a summary full cruise one as well so we could check. Are they still doing that on most ships?

It seems to vary ship by ship and depending on the cruise director. They used to have lots of info in them but now not so much.

Sue

I and perhaps others have criticised P&O on this and other boards for holding black tie evenings which had nothing to distinguish them from other evenings except that someone had decreed that they be black tie. We are prepared to done our DJs for a special occasion, just as we would on shore, but cannot see the point of doing so for just another anonymous night on board. P&O to their credit appear to have taken this on board and are ensuring that each black tie evening has an occasion to justify it - although Ladies Ball appears to me a bit of a lame excuse for a fourth black tie where most line appear just to have three - Captains reception, gala dinner and farewell dinner.

Thank you everyone for the explanations - really appreciated.

Another question though - I do not have 4 suitable outfits - do you think that it would matter too much if I wore the same one twice? If it helps with the answer - We are doing the Freedom dining and hope to go to a speciality restaurant on one of the balls (as it is a significant date).

Thank you

I'm going on my first ever cruise on Oceana next Friday. I'm slightly worried about these Black Tie do's. I want to go to them, but I don't do dresses (they don't suit me). I have smart black trousers, heels and smart pretty tops, with sparkly jewellery. Will I get away with this?

Thanks

I'm going on my first ever cruise on Oceana next Friday. I'm slightly worried about these Black Tie do's. I want to go to them, but I don't do dresses (they don't suit me). I have smart black trousers, heels and smart pretty tops, with sparkly jewellery. Will I get away with this?

Thanks

No question of "getting away with it", you won't be any different to a lot of the ladies on board. I'm sure you will feel fine, so just go ahead and enjoy the thrill(s)

Archived