Do you swim in the ship's pool????

kscruiseaholic

Hi, I dont think i have ever seen this question posted, I am trying to decide if I want to pack swim suits or no. So my question is this......How many of you actually "swim or take a dip" in the ships pool or use the hot tubs?

Nope never because of too many children. Rarely do we sit in the hot tub - if there's only 1 or 2 people we will, not if there's more than that.

Aft pool - never the main. Slides - yes - great way to cool down when lounging in the Serenity Area - quick stroll, quick zip down the slide...back to my book and lounger. Hot tubs - very rarely since they are always packed. Cloud 9 Spa Thalassotherapy pool? Oh yeah.....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Aft pool - never the main. Slides - yes - great way to cool down when lounging in the Serenity Area - quick stroll, quick zip down the slide...back to my book and lounger. Hot tubs - very rarely since they are always packed. Cloud 9 Spa Thalassotherapy pool? Oh yeah.....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So u reserve your seat. Chair hog

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Forums mobile app

Haven't you swam in salt water pools? 1/10 the salt content of sea water. NO chlorine needed.

Salt doesn't sanitize water, chlorine does :)

"Salt water pools" use a chlorine generator to break down salt (NaCl) to sodium hypochlorite (bleach or also known as chlorine) and this sanitizes the water.

That being said, I always swim in the pool and love it! Take your swimsuit and enjoy.

We never actually get into ship's pools anymore. Many years ago we used to now and then but stopped a long time ago. I find it hard to think given the small size of the pools, the large number of people and particularly hot Caribbean sun that those pools are, at all times, meticulously well balanced and safely clean. Too many people for that to be possible IMO

I might dangle my feet at the most.

Pools yes hot pee tubs no.

Think I've been in a pool on a cruise once. Just not a fan of crowds in small bodies of water. Half the time there's barely room to swim.

riclop - What do you think gives the hot tubs that nice warm feeling ? :p

cruzin - Really hardly room in an 'empty' ship pool for swimming.

OP - We may take a few dips in the pool to cool off after sunbathing.

Hot tubs? Rarely. They are usually too crowded ... with the same people/kids ALL DAY.

I agree with the others. A suit or 2 or 3 (:o) takes up no room. Take 1. Better to have it and not use it than to wish you had brought it.

Have fun!

Ok get sea of pee but really where do you think the ses creatures pee and poop :eek: and ultimately die? Not to mention the people at the beach.

Haven't you swam in salt water pools? 1/10 the salt content of sea water. NO chlorine needed.

Carnival uses 100 percent sea water in most of their pools and drain them every night so you are swimming in the same water anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Forums mobile app

Sorry, but that's not even talking apples and oranges. It's more like apples and a turkey sandwich. The sheer volume of water in oceans, seas, and large lakes is a primary difference. You'd have to have the oceans filled wall to wall with virtually no space in order for it to be a reasonabtle comparison. Also, the movement of water in the oceans, seas, rivers, etc. affects the cleanliness of the water. There is simply no comparison between small ship pools that are crammed with passengers and the Atlantic ocean, which teems with life, but has vast areas of open, constantly moving, constantly changing water.

Others have reminded us that salt does not take the place of chlorine or other sanitizers. It's simply that the process used is different from that for fresh water. It's also very different between large land pools and small ship pools. Ships have specific restrictions regarding discharge into the oceans and seas, so they can't just pour buckets of chemicals in and then drain the pools every day.

To answer the actual question: Only a few times in the adults-only pools on RCI ships and in the small Haven pool on NCL Jade. Otherwise, no thanks. I'll stick with the oceans and seas (and not worry about fish poo).;)

beachchick

Sorry, but that's not even talking apples and oranges. It's more like apples and a turkey sandwich. The sheer volume of water in oceans, seas, and large lakes is a primary difference. You'd have to have the oceans filled wall to wall with virtually no space in order for it to be a reasonabtle comparison. Also, the movement of water in the oceans, seas, rivers, etc. affects the cleanliness of the water. There is simply no comparison between small ship pools that are crammed with passengers and the Atlantic ocean, which teems with life, but has vast areas of open, constantly moving, constantly changing water.

Others have reminded us that salt does not take the place of chlorine or other sanitizers. It's simply that the process used is different from that for fresh water. It's also very different between large land pools and small ship pools. Ships have specific restrictions regarding discharge into the oceans and seas, so they can't just pour buckets of chemicals in and then drain the pools every day.

To answer the actual question: Only a few times in the adults-only pools on RCI ships and in the small Haven pool on NCL Jade. Otherwise, no thanks. I'll stick with the oceans and seas (and not worry about fish poo).;)

beachchick

There are no absolutes when swimming in the ocean or sea. You need to pay attention to where you are.

Anyone up for swimming at the beach in Roatan with raw sewage being pumped untreated into the water on the West End? How about at the beach at Galveston, which receives water directly from the chemically toxic Houston Ship Channel? Or after a heavy rain in the areas of Southwest Florida that still have septic tanks whose contents make their way to the Gulf after heavy rains causing E coli alerts? Or in the raw sewage filled Acapulco bay?

It all depends on where you are.

There are no absolutes when swimming in the ocean or sea. You need to pay attention to where you are.

Anyone up for swimming at the beach in Roatan with raw sewage being pumped untreated into the water on the West End? How about at the beach at Galveston, which receives water directly from the chemically toxic Houston Ship Channel? Or after a heavy rain in the areas of Southwest Florida that still have septic tanks whose contents make their way to the Gulf after heavy rains causing E coli alerts? Or in the raw sewage filled Acapulco bay?

It all depends on where you are.

It all sounds so appetizing. Where to start?! Haha. I thought the Jersey shore was the grossest place to swim. I need to get out more. :eek:

I usually only go in the pool to cool off a bit, if I've been laying in the sun long enough to get hot. I love to swim, but swimming in those tiny, often crowded pools isn't much fun. If there is a slide I might go down once or twice just because it's there.

I go in the hot tubs occasionally, often at night, because I am used to soaking in ours before bed and sometimes just need that hot water and relaxation.

We live on a lake and swim there all the time; it is a nice clear lake. So, I don't worry overmuch about pool water. I also love the ocean.

Hi, I dont think i have ever seen this question posted, I am trying to decide if I want to pack swim suits or no. So my question is this......How many of you actually "swim or take a dip" in the ships pool or use the hot tubs?

Not just yes...HE]] YES!

The way I look at it, eventually something is going to kill me...it has for virtually every human that has every walked the earth in the past and will be the fate of probalby everyone currently on the planet.

Life is to be enjoyed. If you avoid everything that could be dirty or make you ill you might as well end it now.

Archived