Interesting rumor @ ncl plans for hawaii

punkincc

Just thought I'd pass this interesting, totally unsubstantiated rumor along to see if anyone else has by chance heard something as well.

According to an Epic cruise staff member, not told directly to me, NCL is purchasing 2 ship's from another line and is working on a private resort, or island, in Hawaii to diversify itineraries for the POA. Also the island would serve as a port for NCL transpacific cruises and repo cruises.

As NCL as of now has no transpacific cruises, if true, that would probably mean NCL is setting up for Australia cruises with Hawaii as a stop, or starting point. Also possibly adding a ship or two to the Hawaii itinerary?

Just wishful thinking at this point, but it's fun to speculate.

In 2102 while on board doing a b2b on POA we had converstions with a couple senior officers and the later a junior officer and they were talking about NCL putting the Jade (POH) back into Hawaii waters and that was why an agreement of some sort was made to put the Jade in European waters so that they could bring it back.

They have already had 3 ships in Hawaiian waters an it wasn't profitable but maybe if they add other itineraries they could do it.

A major issue is still having to hire US employees, labor laws and unions.

Just thought I'd pass this interesting, totally unsubstantiated rumor along to see if anyone else has by chance heard something as well.

According to an Epic cruise staff member, not told directly to me, NCL is purchasing 2 ship's from another line and is working on a private resort, or island, in Hawaii to diversify itineraries for the POA. Also the island would serve as a port for NCL transpacific cruises and repo cruises.

As NCL as of now has no transpacific cruises, if true, that would probably mean NCL is setting up for Australia cruises with Hawaii as a stop, or starting point. Also possibly adding a ship or two to the Hawaii itinerary?

Just wishful thinking at this point, but it's fun to speculate.

I think I would have to wait to see if this really happens. NCL had three ships in Hawai a few short years ago and it was a financial disaster for them.

Some of the facts could be true for a few reasons..

1. PofA does a good job with the revenue now so they've been able to really fine tune the product. The pricing has remained up and customer satisfaction has really increased. If they have a lot of crew who are well trained and they've got them in rotations now they may have enough to start off very well with a return of the Pride of Hawaii (Jade) to the American fleet.

2. Kevin Sheehan several times recently has been asked and I think NCL is considering diversifying to Asia. It would be insane for NCL to not go there as their half owner Genting Hong Kong is over there and North American brands are seeing this as a brand new area for revenue. Princess has recently expanded it's offering in the regions and Royal Caribbean as well. It would be silly for NCL not to go to where they already have a base. Genting Hong Kong has crew training facilities in the region and sending the Norwegian Spirit to there would be like a son returning home after years away. If any Trans-Pacific places were going to happen I would bet it would be Asia would be the destination, not Australia.

3. NCL originally called in Fanning Island (Republic of Kiribati) to satisfy the foreign distant port call requirement. People actually enjoyed the route. If NCL were to return with an international flagged vessel and do that again, it would offer cruisers a choice of spending a lot of time on the islands versus getting some relaxing time to enjoy the ship.

Time will tell on what future expansion plans are going to happen. One thing is for sure, they're going to happen. The question is where are they going to deploy the older ships? Breakaway Plus is going to make the Caribbean market saturated and Europe is saturated so sending large ships along with several small ones doesn't make much sense but where will the other ships go in the winter months? The only places warm enough would be Hawaii, S. America, Australia and lastly Asia. Asia would be the best bet though.

I'd actually believe that, though I question the idea of them buying other ships because as the other poster pointed out, Breakaway Plus will mean other NCL ships may need new homes.

I think Asian and Australian markets need to be tapped to keep up with NCL's competition. Because they'd hit foreign ports, it wouldn't be "three ships in Hawaii." Just multiple ships STOPPING in Hawaii, with the POA probably continuing to do the current route and U.S. staffing model. The other ships could revert to traditional staffing models.

So, it sure seems believable, though I can't substantiate it with facts.

I would love this!

Have been looking at Australian and Asian itineraries as a change of pace. (Though I never tire of Caribbean, European!! Still need to do more Greece, Baltics!)

As a soon to be retired person - the longer voyages will have an appeal to me. And as the demographics of the US changes and more and more boomers head towards retirement it makes a lot of sense.

Hi there,

I checked in with Norwegian's spokesperson AnneMarie Mathews and this is what she had to say: "I can tell you there is absolutely no truth to this."

Dori

Hi Dori,

Thanks for checking with AnneMarie. When Kevin Sheehan made mention of this it was on the Breakaway Trans-Atlantic and he said if NCL were to go someplace else in the globe it would make sense to go to Asia because they have the crew training base there for Star Cruises. He didn't make it seem like it was going to happen imminently but I can see when the 2 Breakaway Plus ships are in service them branching out!

It's still nice to speculate! ;) Have a great weekend! :)

Hi there,

I checked in with Norwegian's spokesperson AnneMarie Mathews and this is what she had to say: "I can tell you there is absolutely no truth to this."

Dori

Thanks, Dori. I am not surprised. It may be that there is absolutely no truth to this, or it may be that they are simply not ready to make it public;). Only time will tell, but NCL has such as small number of ships comparatively. I can't imagine that expansion of ships and market is not in their long range plans.

3. NCL originally called in Fanning Island (Republic of Kiribati) to satisfy the foreign distant port call requirement. People actually enjoyed the route. If NCL were to return with an international flagged vessel and do that again, it would offer cruisers a choice of spending a lot of time on the islands versus getting some relaxing time to enjoy the ship.

Fanning Island was the highlight of our 2005 cruise. Think Gilligan's Island or Hawaii 100 years ago.

No amenities on the island at all as everything was taken from the ship and then repacked when we left. I spent the day on the "pay $25" Napoli Beach learning to Hobie Cat in a huge 1 meter deep lagoon. 50 people on a 1/2 mile stretch of beach while 1500 passengers on the "free" side were packed like sardines.

I'd do that cruise again in a heartbeat.

Fanning Island was the highlight of our 2005 cruise. Think Gilligan's Island or Hawaii 100 years ago.

No amenities on the island at all as everything was taken from the ship and then repacked when we left. I spent the day on the "pay $25" Napoli Beach learning to Hobie Cat in a huge 1 meter deep lagoon. 50 people on a 1/2 mile stretch of beach while 1500 passengers on the "free" side were packed like sardines.

I'd do that cruise again in a heartbeat.

It was sad to see the NCL facility on Fanning Island overgrown and in disrepair when we were there in 2012 on the Rotterdam. For those who haven't been there, "no amenities" means no running water, electricity, or plumbing. Read after we got home that the Kiribiti Republic is considering evacuating to Fiji due to rising ocean levels.

The RCCL cruises out of Singapore are very popular with Asians. I'm wondering if NCL considers that market taken care of by Star Cruises which also goes out of Singapore.

If they do buy two ships from another line, let us hope they don't buy them from Carnival.

I sailed the PoA when there were the three ships in Hawaii. At the time all of those going to Kiribati were all 10 night. Did they ever have any shorter trips for that route?

It would be difficult to schedule a much shorter trip to Fanning Island since it is about a thousand miles from Hawaii. We went there on the Wind, and it was two days each way. Some of the newer ships could make it faster, but the fuel costs would be very high.

NCL did gain some wonderful people from Kiribati who work on some of their ships.

Wish they would have a Hawaiian cruise from the west coast!

We have been to Hawaii 3 times. Two of them, flying out and back for a 5-7 day land based vacay, the last time in 2009 - flying out and back for a 7 day cruise on the POA. For us the flying (especially coming home on that overnight flight) is so tiring I don't plan to go back, BUT.. if I could fly out and cruise the islands, then cruise back - it'd be worth it to go again!

I do know there are other lines that have done Hawaii from the west coast. Just my 2 cents on Hawaii....

Yes....I was wondering the same as Sea saw 56....why couldn't NCL use any of their other ships for the west coast to Hawaii cruise...usally a two-week cruise from California, with an obligatory call at Ensenada to make it 'legal'.....

IIRC, Princess sends two ships on that run, and HAL sends one. Or they could base one in Seattle, with a stop in Victoria enroute for a few cruises before or after the Alaska season ends.

In addition, NCL could base another ship at Honolulu, and do a series of cruises to the Tahiti area, as well.

Yes....I was wondering the same as Sea saw 56....why couldn't NCL use any of their other ships for the west coast to Hawaii cruise...usally a two-week cruise from California, with an obligatory call at Ensenada to make it 'legal'.....

IIRC, Princess sends two ships on that run, and HAL sends one. Or they could base one in Seattle, with a stop in Victoria enroute for a few cruises before or after the Alaska season ends.

In addition, NCL could base another ship at Honolulu, and do a series of cruises to the Tahiti area, as well.

Just went to Tahiti and Society and Cook Islands on PG. Once one gets past the initial price shock if you consider their fares include air, tips, drinks it actually is not a bad deal. The ship is about the size of the original Love Boats but with half the passengers. The service and food are outstanding let alone the islands themselves are beyond imagination.

They have already had 3 ships in Hawaiian waters an it wasn't profitable but maybe if they add other itineraries they could do it.

A major issue is still having to hire US employees, labor laws and unions.

I believe this was only true AFTER the economy collapsed........... the economy is recovering nicely in Hawaii.. the POA mostly sells out.

Some different itineraries would be great..................

Hi Dori,

Thanks for checking with AnneMarie. When Kevin Sheehan made mention of this it was on the Breakaway Trans-Atlantic and he said if NCL were to go someplace else in the globe it would make sense to go to Asia because they have the crew training base there for Star Cruises. He didn't make it seem like it was going to happen imminently but I can see when the 2 Breakaway Plus ships are in service them branching out!

It's still nice to speculate! ;) Have a great weekend! :)

Hi CruisinMaterial,

Just want to be clear. Norwegian's response was specifically related to the rumors that they were buying two ship's from another line and working on a private resort or island in Hawaii.

Dori

Hi CruisinMaterial,

Just want to be clear. Norwegian's response was specifically related to the rumors that they were buying two ship's from another line and working on a private resort or island in Hawaii.

Dori

Dori,

Thanks for the clarification! :) I figured NCL wouldn't be buying any more ships because they're building new ones. A private US island would be extremely cost prohibitive. I couldn't envision NCL or any other cruise line buying real estate from the US. It'd take them so many hoops to jump through and right now our govt can't even figure out how to keep itself in business!! :eek:

Re-deployments is where my mindset was/is. Did you happen to ask NCL about that?

Happy Monday! :(

It was sad to see the NCL facility on Fanning Island overgrown and in disrepair when we were there in 2012 on the Rotterdam. For those who haven't been there, "no amenities" means no running water, electricity, or plumbing. Read after we got home that the Kiribiti Republic is considering evacuating to Fiji due to rising ocean levels.

The RCCL cruises out of Singapore are very popular with Asians. I'm wondering if NCL considers that market taken care of by Star Cruises which also goes out of Singapore.

I was not aware that NCL ever called at Fanning. Does NCL still own the Fanning facility? If so, perhaps IF future itinerary expansions do occur, this might play a part in the plans.

I had not thought of Tahiti! A Tahiti/Hawaii B2B! Now that would be a dream vacation!

I see no reason that they would need to buy two ships from another line. IF they wanted to homeport another ship in Hawaii, they could bring the Jade home (as others have mentioned) and then play ship shuffle to accommodate the routes that the two new Breakaway +'s will be taking.

Had they not just re-purchased their interest in the Sky, I would have said a more likely rumor would be that they would SELL an older ship or two to accommodate new ships in what are becoming several oversaturated markets.

In the long run I could see the Epic moving to Europe permanently to replace the Jade if they bring her home for a 2nd Hawaii-only ship, and possibly re-deploying the Spirit for year-round Panama Canal cruises.

Bob Brown: Genius suggestions. I love all these options. My husband and I don't fly, and would love to do Hawaii from the West Coast. Heck, I'd be happy if one started in Los Angeles, did a week in Hawaii, then headed to Vancouver.

Wish they would have a Hawaiian cruise from the west coast!

We have been to Hawaii 3 times. Two of them, flying out and back for a 5-7 day land based vacay, the last time in 2009 - flying out and back for a 7 day cruise on the POA. For us the flying (especially coming home on that overnight flight) is so tiring I don't plan to go back, BUT.. if I could fly out and cruise the islands, then cruise back - it'd be worth it to go again!

I do know there are other lines that have done Hawaii from the west coast. Just my 2 cents on Hawaii....

I also don't mind the flight over but coming back is not fun. Flying over cruising the islands and back would be my perfect cruise

Archived