Excursions...lots of cancellations...anyone else getting emails?

bradsnana

December 1, 2013 Falmouth cancellations for us too.

Horseback Ride with Dunn River Falls

and

Chukka Beach Break with Lunch

both cancelled on Thursday, we booked them over 2 months ago.

We were told to replace them with two other options which were both significantly worse options [one didn't have the falls, and the other beach option was an hour away instead of ten minutes away]

I called and they said "oh this is a very rare case, I have never seen a cancellation before." I said both of our excursions were cancelled for both halves of our cruising party and she said "oh, I am sorry I have no idea why, there are no notes here saying why. but this is very rare."

after seeing this thread....I call BS

We never book ship's excursions, always independently, get more for less money and have never been in danger of missing the ship, always felt safe, and have had small more personal groups....most often recommended here on CC. After over 40 cruises, things have changed.....and we always do our own thing. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the cancelled tours.

Wow! I just got off the Allure and didn't realize all this was happening.

My group did go on a RCCL excursion in Jamaica and it wasn't canceled. But my group was the only one booked on it. I'm happy it wasn't canceled!

I wonder what's really going on...

Sent from my XT1058 using Forums mobile app

Both my cozumel excursions were cancelled. :( we are on oasis march 1 2014 and they cancelled parasailing and deluxe dolphin swim and manatee encounter. Weird that I got an email about the parasailing but not the dolphin swim. Also the royal dolphin swim that we had is gone but the standard swim with only one dolphin is still there.

Our helicopter tour in Jamaica was cancelled for our Allure 11/17/13 cruise. we received email notification Thursday evening! Disappointed but do feel like Royal is looking out for us!

I'm curious as to why you think Royal is looking out for you. How do you know it was not them who cancelled the event?

I still haven't received an email but I see I no longer have the excursion booked! When I try to look further it won't let me because they are updating my account. I really don't feel like listening to their excuses right now so I am waiting it out. Pretty sure I will book with an independent.

I'm curious as to why you think Royal is looking out for you. How do you know it was not them who cancelled the event?

The email just said it was discontinued. The excursion was very costly - $570 for 2. I just feel like, for that much money, there would be good reason involved and glad they didn't substitute perhaps inferior company. I wouldn't want to fool around with a helicopter... :) Of course, that was before hearing about all these cancellations. Something bigger seems to be going on to impact so many different tours.

The email just said it was discontinued. The excursion was very costly - $570 for 2. I just feel like, for that much money, there would be good reason involved and glad they didn't substitute perhaps inferior company. I wouldn't want to fool around with a helicopter... :) Of course, that was before hearing about all these cancellations. Something bigger seems to be going on to impact so many different tours.

And the more I read the more I think what is going on has to do with RCI's cut. That is probably why they are sending more ships to Labadee and packing people in. They don't have to split excursion fees with anyone.

And the more I read the more I think what is going on has to do with RCI's cut. That is probably why they are sending more ships to Labadee and packing people in. They don't have to split excursion fees with anyone.

I'm not sure how that works -- Labadee's got limited "excursion" possibilities and capacity caps on what's there, that they're already kind of struggling with (selling out of cabanas on a regular basis, for example). Why would cancelling excursions at other ports have much (if any) effect on what people booked otherwise?

A few years ago I had heard it was just about this time of year that Royal re-negotiated their excursions. Found this out when we had a November cruise scheduled and after speaking with an independent vendor in one of our ports, found out we just got in before he signed with Royal. Once the contract was signed he wouldn't have been able to accept our tour request.

Maybe a lot of tour operators are not agreeing to the terms Royal wants????

Maybe RCI is attempting to get tour operators to give better rates as they do get guaranteed bookings.

Our Rio Bueno River Tubing Adventure in the Falmouth port has been cancelled. it is on the February 24th cruise on Liberty of the Seas. I can't believe all the cancellations I am seeing on this board. They are encouraging me to book the C!huckanRiver Tubing adventure, but I have read the water is so shallow they sometimes have to push the tube down the river. Has anyone booked independent tours in Jamacia? Did you have any problems? We have a one booked in St. Lucia and St. marten for our March cruise, but were a little wary of doing this in Jamaica.

Hey kteachcruiser52

That's too bad, we had the same excursion cancelled and chose it because it was supposed to be the better of the two. We are gong in March, please let me know what you decide to do...I am always concerned with doing private excursions but it looks like that might be the best option.

Edited by liz's idea

Hey kteachcruiser52

That's too bad' date=' we had the same excursion cancelled and chose it because it was supposed to be the better of the two. We are gong in March, please let me know what you decide to do...I am always concerned with doing private excursions but it looks like that might be the best option.[/quote']

I understand your hesitance with private excursions. I have many friends who only do those but, being 2 women travelling alone, we are always a little hesitant, too.

Neither of the two excursions I have booked for my Brilliance cruise have been canceled yet, but I just booked the Jewel earlier today and at least one of the excursions I was considering in St. Martin (the one with the carousel) has been removed from the list of choices. This is just further evidence that private tours are the way to go...but sadly they aren't always an option.

Neither of the two excursions I have booked for my Brilliance cruise have been canceled yet, but I just booked the Jewel earlier today and at least one of the excursions I was considering in St. Martin (the one with the carousel) has been removed from the list of choices.

We hadn't booked that one yet, but my daughter was really looking forward to it -- she adores carousels. I'm hoping it gets put back. If anyone sees a reputable private tour that offers that one, please let me know.

Just got off the Allure. We had no problems for our Cozumel excursion but I did hear from rumors that some travelers got stranded in Jamaica and the Cruise Director, Alan Brooks had to pull some strings forcing them to bring them back to the ship. Yikes!

Hey kteachcruiser52

That's too bad' date=' we had the same excursion cancelled and chose it because it was supposed to be the better of the two. We are gong in March, please let me know what you decide to do...I am always concerned with doing private excursions but it looks like that might be the best option.[/quote']

will have to keep an eye on things.

I'm not sure how that works -- Labadee's got limited "excursion" possibilities and capacity caps on what's there, that they're already kind of struggling with (selling out of cabanas on a regular basis, for example). Why would cancelling excursions at other ports have much (if any) effect on what people booked otherwise?

I was making two unrelated points. First, I think they are cancelling excursions in order to force the vendors into better deals. Secondly, and unrelated to the first, I think they are sending more ships to Labadee where everything that people spend goes right back to the cruise line.

Our excursion was for October 30 2013. We booked it a week ago, and got cancellation notice Thursday.

As usual RCI has done nothing to explain what is going on. It seems a huge variety of excursions in different places have just gone without warning. Surely RCI owe their customers some explain or reassurance that this is not going to continue.

I wonder if it is partly a safety issue,we were taken by a very worn out taxi to the dolphin encounter. We complained. Mind you the taxi could not go fast enough to have a major accident due to traffic.

Could be something with RC insurance for out trips - they have to cover you on those, and if they do not meet the requirements of RC & ins co.they are out! They have to get you there in a safe vechicle/lic driver/safe clean venue. If they have had an issue anywhere, their insurance company would refuse ins on those out trips. Could be that is the thing they are negotiating at this time. Perhaps some of those trips will be put back once they meet the stringent guidelines from the cruise/ins company.

Out trips seem a lot safer than when I first travelled, but, may be getting the oh well, it does not matter RC will pay us attitude. RC has to put the customers (us) safety first.

I find most out trips are getting very expensive for the short time they take. All vendors would have to meet stringent guidelines.

Funny, I was in southern Med once, and we were bussed to the top of a lookout - no wall, no fence, just a little sign in French - do not get too close to the edge, you will fall.