Excursions...lots of cancellations...anyone else getting emails?

bradsnana

Just got an email saying our Pirate Encounter excursion has been discontinued for Grand Cayman.

I'm so disappointed...My grandson was so excited for this....he said he was going to have me walk the plank.

I tried to email the owners from their we page, but the email is bad and it kicked it back.

Anyone else heard anything about this?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just got an email saying our Pirate Encounter excursion has been discontinued for Grand Cayman.

I'm so disappointed...My grandson was so excited for this....he said he was going to have me walk the plank.

I tried to email the owners from their we page, but the email is bad and it kicked it back.

Anyone else heard anything about this?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Someone on my Feb 2 Freedom cruise just posted that all their excursions were also cancelled. Seems pretty odd. I would call RCCL and check it out.

Sue

Someone on my Feb 2 Freedom cruise just posted that all their excursions were also cancelled. Seems pretty odd. I would call RCCL and check it out.

Sue

I have also received cancellation (yesterday) of Chukka Beach excursion (being no longer available) in Jamaica for our December cruise on Navigator.

Our last two cruises we had one excursion cancelled on each cruise. My theory was there wasn't enough passengers signed up. But it could be something as mundane as equipment failure.

I'm only speculating, there may be more passengers booking their own excursions. 1) With the internet it's so much easier to find excursion operators, and with the travel sites, find reviews 2) RCI markups are making excursions too expensive. My two cents.

I have also received cancellation (yesterday) of Chukka Beach excursion (being no longer available) in Jamaica for our December cruise on Navigator.

We received the very same email for our Chukka Beach Break excursion off the Allure for just next week. Another person on our roll call had received a cancellation for a deep sea fishing trip in Cozumel the day before we got ours.

Something certainly seems "fishy" about all these cancellations at one time. Do you think RCI has been trying to renegotiate terms with some venders and just dropped those that did not comply?

I certainly would have appreciated getting more than a week's notice. I guess this is another reason for looking into obtaining tours with local independent operators which are usually less expensive and less crowded. They obviously are much more reliable?

It does seem odd that so many are being cancelled. That makes me even more hesitant to book RCI excursions. While I do tend to book independent excursions I have been on some nice ship sponsored excursions, too. It would be very disappointing to look forward to an excursion and have it cancelled on you.:(

I am looking at one excursion for our Jewel cruise in May in St. Kitts that's only available through the ship (Caribbean Cooks). Hopefully it will be a go! Otherwise, having a back up plan is always a good idea.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

It's not just on cruises coming up in the near future. We received a cancellation notice for our Isla Pasion by Twister (Passion Island via Twister Boat) in Cozumel for May 2014 on the Oasis. Took a look and the Catamaran to Passion Island excursion is gone as well.

I agree that this sounds like tour operator contracts being renegotiated...or dropped.

Now just waiting for RCI to refund the amount I paid so I can rebook another using the funds...

Our last two cruises we had one excursion cancelled on each cruise. My theory was there wasn't enough passengers signed up. But it could be something as mundane as equipment failure.

I'm only speculating, there may be more passengers booking their own excursions. 1) With the internet it's so much easier to find excursion operators, and with the travel sites, find reviews 2) RCI markups are making excursions too expensive. My two cents.

"If you are expecting perfection, don't travel, you will surely be disappointed."

What a great quote. made my day.

Edited by Folk Singer

A few years ago I had heard it was just about this time of year that Royal re-negotiated their excursions. Found this out when we had a November cruise scheduled and after speaking with an independent vendor in one of our ports, found out we just got in before he signed with Royal. Once the contract was signed he wouldn't have been able to accept our tour request.

Maybe a lot of tour operators are not agreeing to the terms Royal wants????

I am sailing on the Allure in December and my Dunn's Falls and horseback riding swim excursion in Falmouth was also canceled.

Good luck getting any information from RCL. I called and spoke to 3 different individuals at various times throughout the day and none of them had a clue as to what they were doing and trying to communicate due the language barrier was completely frustrating. I finally gave up and booked the same excursion with another company. However, I am disappointed because lunch is not included with the new company even though it's a 6.5 hr excursion and the price is $5 more p/p. :(

RCL's customer service is beyond frustrating. I wasted 40 minutes of my day and learned absolutely nothing about an email THEY sent to me about a cancellation THEY made.

WOW! RCCL did not send us out an email about our Turtle Farm Tour being canceled! A credit for the amount showed up on our total due on our cruise cost. I had to call teh C&A to find out.. Lets sea if I recieve an email after this post!!

Is this what they mean by WOWed!

With so many cancellations, I wonder if they are competing for the other cruise ships in port on the same day -- and perhaps they are getting better rates.

It seems very early to cancel because of a lack of interest -- especially for December cruises.

I noticed a post elsewhere that suggested there are approximately 8 ships in Cozumel on December 20th...

Something doesn't seem right about all the cancellations.