Excursions...lots of cancellations...anyone else getting emails?

bradsnana

Maybe RCI tried rising the kickback from the tour operators and they said sorry RCI.

RCI does not get a 'kickback' from the tour companies.

The folks from RCI Miami accept offers from excursion vendors at each port. They are vetted for itinerary, safety, reliability, and fit with existing excursions. Often a crew member, sometimes identified, sometimes not, will ride along to get some hands on knowledge. If you complain about a specific tour, those comments go back to Miami. RCI negotiates a bulk discount for their passengers.

RCI is like TicketMaster, they add, on top on the bulk excursion cost, an up-charge to cover the costs of marketing, issuing tickets, and some profit. RCI is a ticket agent for the most part.

Almost all of the excursions we have booked were cancelled because the tour operator can't profitably take that catamaran (or bus or etc...) and crew out without a minimum number of passengers. Others were cancelled due to bad weather.

There are lots of reasons an excursion is cancelled months ahead of time. Many have said contracts, it also could be RCI terminated their contracts due to poor service.

I got an email saying our Turtle Farm Excursion with lunch (March, 2014) in Grand Cayman is cancelled. However, they are still offering the Turtle Farm Excursion without lunch. Seems a bit odd, but we rebooked for the no lunch excursion. We'll just bring extra spending money to buy lunch there.

The folks from RCI Miami accept offers from excursion vendors at each port. They are vetted for itinerary, safety, reliability, and fit with existing excursions. Often a crew member, sometimes identified, sometimes not, will ride along to get some hands on knowledge. If you complain about a specific tour, those comments go back to Miami. RCI negotiates a bulk discount for their passengers.

RCI is like TicketMaster, they add, on top on the bulk excursion cost, an up-charge to cover the costs of marketing, issuing tickets, and some profit. RCI is a ticket agent for the most part.

Almost all of the excursions we have booked were cancelled because the tour operator can't profitably take that catamaran (or bus or etc...) and crew out without a minimum number of passengers. Others were cancelled due to bad weather.

There are lots of reasons an excursion is cancelled months ahead of time. Many have said contracts, it also could be RCI terminated their contracts due to poor service.

A ticket agent that often enters into exclusive contracts where vendors cannot sell directly to cruise passngers. They have to buy through the cruise line. The Sugar Train on St. Kitts is just one that comes to mind. If you want to do it you are going to pay RCI's price for it.

I find shutterbug63's post very interesting. The turtle farm excursion with lunch is cancelled but the excursion without lunch is on. I guess luch has been pretty unprofitable.... or unsafe.

Edited by Ocean Boy

A ticket agent that often enters into exclusive contracts where vendors cannot sell directly to cruise passengers. They have to buy through the cruise line. The Sugar Train on St. Kitts is just one that comes to mind. If you want to do it you are going to pay RCI's price for it.

I find shutterbug63's post very interesting. The turtle farm excursion with lunch is cancelled but the excursion without lunch is on. I guess luch has been pretty unprofitable.... or unsafe.

How does that change what I posted? And you are wrong about the sugar train, RCI does not reserve the entire train for their passengers. Been there, done that rotten excursion without RCI.

Besides that's what a ticket agent does. They are usually the exclusive agent for the event.

I have been on plenty of excursions where MULTIPLE cruise ships were mixed together. You say often as though you know what percentage are exclusive. But it's not a bad thing. That's what the operator agreed to.

How does that change what I posted? And you are wrong about the sugar train, RCI does not reserve the entire train for their passengers. Been there, done that rotten excursion without RCI.

Besides that's what a ticket agent does. They are usually the exclusive agent for the event.

I have been on plenty of excursions where MULTIPLE cruise ships were mixed together. You say often as though you know what percentage are exclusive. But it's not a bad thing. That's what the operator agreed to.

Of course it is what the vendor agreed to. I did not say RCI reserves anything for its passengers. I said the cruise lines enter into contracts where cruise passengers are required to book through the cruise lines. So you were able to book the Sugar Train directly with the vendor? That is very interesting as I was not able to. I wonder what would have happened if I said I was staying on the island? Possibly they make you verify your location?

Edited by Ocean Boy

Of course it is what the vendor agreed to. I did not say RCI reserves anything for its passengers. I said the cruise lines enter into contracts where cruise passengers are required to book through the cruise lines. So you were able to book the Sugar Train directly with the vendor? That is very interesting as I was not able to. I wonder what would have happened if I said I was staying on the island? Possibly they make you verify your location?

Now I see said the blind man! Sorry I misunderstood your point.

I understand why the cruise lines do it. They did some of the work to vette the operator. Just thinking about it, I don't remember ever seeing a tour operators name in any excursion description. We had some experience with excursions when we stayed on St Thomas for a week. Funny no one ever asked us where we were staying, but we always had cruise passengers with us.

I don't know about St. Kitts. We did some shopping a took a taxi out there. All based on some tour kiosk brochure.

I think the OP used "kickback" instead of "commission" only to infer RCL was a bit greedy, not doing any illegal as the word might infer.

Your point is well taken under ordinary circumstances, but as RCL/Celebrity has canceled a huge amount of varied venues and contractors at the same time, one could reasonably assume the accountants have won over and convinced the top level that many tours are just not worth the trouble. So be it, if so, but at the expense of the pax who signed up to go in good faith, many having booked their cruises on the promise of things to come, a very stupid move for an otherwise well regarded player in the cruise world!

I just wish they'd come forward and offer an explanation to ease the suspicions of those who've spoken in this thread.

We found this to be true with Carnival. Prior to a Eastern cruise, I wanted to book directly with a private operator on St. Kitts and they asked if I would be there on the Carnival Miracle. When I said "yes" they told me I could not book directly with them - I had to book through Carnival, so I did. About week prior to the cruise, Carnival emailed saying the excursion was cancelled so I went back directly to the operator and asked if I could now book with them and they said absolutely, so I did. As Ocean Boy speculates, if you were visiting on a land vacation and wanted to book on the same day a cruise ship was in port, they likely would want verification that you were not on the ship (i.e. hotel key, or bill or airline ticket, etc.).

Re the part I bolded above - RCI negotiating a bulk discount for passengers - so you have seen excursions offered through the cruise line that are cheaper than what is offered privately?

Because time and time again, I've found for myself and seen the experiences of others that booking excursions privately saves money and provides a better experience than going through the cruiseline.

Edited by Maryscooking

With all the uncertainty in the world now it's kind of scary that so many excursions are being cancelled . If there are any warning from the US on travelling in these countries I hope it is reported soon . If not and it is only a money thing hopefully R C will explain soon . Safe travelling .

Re the part I bolded above - RCI negotiating a bulk discount for passengers - so you have seen excursions offered through the cruise line that are cheaper than what is offered privately?

Because time and time again, I've found for myself and seen the experiences of others that booking excursions privately saves money and provides a better experience than going through the cruiseline.

Maybe the cruise lines gets a discount per passenger and jack up the price thus increasing their profit margin even more.

I've read only the last three pages, but I don't see where anyone who actually had an excursion canceled indicated he or she had contacted Corporate. Lots of conjectures here. If someone who has been impacted would see what RCCL says, it would be great. I would do it except I don't have a dog in the fight.

Kathy

Edited by petesweet

I've read only the last three pages, but I don't see where anyone who actually had an excursion canceled indicated he or she had contacted Corporate. Lots of conjectures here. If someone who has been impacted would see what RCCL says, it would be great. I would do it except I don't have a dog in the fight.

Kathy

Maybe corporate should have been considerate enough to provide an explanation. Why should people have to call? If RCI don't care to then they should have expected plenty of speculation. The folks at RCI are plenty bright enough to realize that a thread just like this one would show up on C.C.. Besides, callers would just get some canned response about how it is in some way for the benefit of the passenger. Just like the addition of a fee to Johnny Rocket's was to increase customer satisfaction. What is RCI going to say... "oh, we are trying to find ways to increase our bottom line selling of excursions?

Edited by Ocean Boy

Kathy

I did share my experience with RCL on the first page.

I did call....THREE times. The first time, the man I spoke to barely spoke english. He had no idea what I was trying to tell him and he just kept repeating the cancelled excursion number. I thanked him, told him he didn't answer any of my questions and hung up.

The second and third time I called (same day), the reps had no idea why the excursions were cancelled and just tried to get me to purchase another to take its place, which I politely declined.

I was very frustrated because I wasted 40 minutes of my time and learned absolutely nothing more than what was written in the email, which was basically the runaround with no helpful information.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the customer service reps are basically worthless unless you are purchasing a cruise. I'm not blaming them, because most often it's due to the fact they know nothing because their superiors have obviously told them nothing. We all agree the communication amongst RCL staff is basically non-existent or worse, we get numerous people often telling us conflicting information.

I've read the same communication complaints time and time again. Obviously, RCL doesn't seem to think good communication is an integral part of their business.

How wrong they are.

The rep told me that the tour operator was the one who canceled my excursion. I believe that to be a big fat lie. However, I do not blame the rep, who I'm sure was given incorrect information. He did try to suggest booking another excursion, and like others here, I politely declined. At this point, I may just get off the ship in Falmouth, wander around the port area for 10 minutes and get back on the ship :rolleyes: Nothing else really appeals to me in the excursion choices.

Booking privately can, in most cases, save money.

I booked an excursion in St Marten on our cruise this April.

2 tank dive - Direct price $110, Ships price $135 for the same itinerary with the same dive center.

I made contact to book direct, explaining I was arriving by ship (for timings). They told me I could not book directly with them - I had to book through RCI, so I did.

There were four of us from our ship and twelve participants in total.

On our upcoming cruise, a half day private van with driver and English speaking guide tour in Athens via the ship is $1195 (max 10 @ £119.50 pp)

Private booking half day van with driver and English speaking guide tour in Athens 300 euro - 10 @ 30 euro pp. (Approx $41.50)

Both allows you to choose an itinerary based on your own personal interests and at your pace with pickup - drop off at the ship.

Booking through the ship does offer additional assurances, such as the ship will wait if there are unforeseen delays, whether the additional cost warrants those assurances is down to the individual.

As to why so many excursions are being cancelled, I guess time will tell.

What I did notice though on our last cruise was the excursions disappeared then came back a few weeks later with revised prices.

Edited by icsys

Our excursion in St. Maarten for october 14 was cancelled as well. We got no notification, I just happened to look at our reservation and saw one less excursion. Check the credit card and it had been credited back. Going to try and book another one :)

Maybe corporate should have been considerate enough to provide an explanation. Why should people have to call? If RCI don't care to then they should have expected plenty of speculation. The folks at RCI are plenty bright enough to realize that a thread just like this one would show up on C.C.. Besides, callers would just get some canned response about how it is in some way for the benefit of the passenger. Just like the addition of a fee to Johnny Rocket's was to increase customer satisfaction. What is RCI going to say... "oh, we are trying to find ways to increase our bottom line selling of excursions?

The hotel I stayed at fired the janitor and replaced him with someone else. They didn't

notify me? Why I should I have to call to find out why?!?

That was sarcasm for the sarcasm impaired.

The "bean counters" determined that Excursion X did not bring in enough income, brought in too many complaints, or simply didn't fill enough seats to make it worthwhile to keep promoting it. Plain and simple.

If the made the profit, they'd still be listed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Strange that with so many cancellations that RC have not sent out a statement or letter to all concerned cruisers.

They did re smoking.

Something is strange! I am sure they read this message board, and realize they are getting a lot of bad publicity! Come on RC post a statement or send out a formal letter - this is not sitting well with past cruisers, and really leaving newbies unsure what they are getting into!