A question about champagne for Seabourn old timers

Nigella

For those of you who've been cruising with Seabourn for a long time, can you tell me what the house champagne has been over the years?

I'm making the assumption that the Nicolas Feuillatte has only been the house pour for a few years, so I'd be very interested to know what others Seabourn have offered previously.

I remember Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top.

Yes,it's slightly better than NF but not a lot.

Wine is very personal,I have seen people on Seabourn who can't get enough of NF,

If you like it then drink it,if you do not then there are many great Champagnes to choose from on the wine list.

Happy Days.:)

Or if, unlike Mr.L but more of a cheapskate like me, you enjoy a champagne drink with something to take away the taste of the NF, (which is the only one I can remember being the included one for quite a few years). think about having a shot of cognac, cassis, peach schnapps or other spirit in it, to make a champagne cocktail, kir royale, imitation bellini etc. Less easy at events like a sailaway, where the wine waiters wander round with trays full of champagne, but perfectly easy when in the Club or Observation Bar for a pre or post dinner drink.

Lincslady, my plan exactly, I find the first few glasses OK but the move onto kir royals, the Bellini, real or imagined. It doesn't matter a lot after that. I do enjoy a rusty nail or two whilst watching the entertainment.

D:)

Lincslady, my plan exactly, I find the first few glasses OK but the move onto kir royals, the Bellini, real or imagined. It doesn't matter a lot after that. I do enjoy a rusty nail or two whilst watching the entertainment.

D:)

Or with slow gin, it's called a slow motion and very good! What is a rusty nail? I lead a very sheltered down here in Somerset!!

Going to be making sloe gin today! Rusty nail is ice, Drambuie and whisky. 17 days to go.

Thank you, not sure I would like it as I'm not a whisky drinker, I do like the occasional Drambuie on ice after dinner when we are onboard, but generally prefer gin or vodka.

Vive la difference!! I can't bear Drambuie, or cocktails with whisky in (though I enjoy a single malt) but love a Negroni - probably not everyone's 'cup of tea'. (Rather bitter, made with Campari).

Sorry - we are getting off topic as usual ; slap my hand.

Just returned from 20 days on the Quest and only NF to be found. I did discover that the colder it is the less I notice the slightly sweet aftertaste. I must admit that after 4 years of what I have perceived of as a decline in wine quality they did seem to be better -- with the exception of the roses. They actually ran out of the terrible JP Chenet( yea) and replaced it with a very "red" Bordeaux rose with a funny taste(boo). We bought a few bottles of rose at ports in France to drink at lunch during the early part of the trip and switched to the Wingspan Sauv Blan late in the trip. Ironically eventhough I think the house wines were better we mostly drank either wines we brought on board or purchased from the Premium list at dinner.

Hi that is good news, hopefully they will forget to restock the JP chenet how was quest? We board on 16 Oct and cannot wait. Shame they are still only offering the nf but as you say the colder the better. I hope the food was up to scratch and that Nigerian prawns, lobster, and caviar still exist, not to mention fois gras and filet Mignon. Sorry going off thread but we just wasn't to be there.

A few cuts of meat were less than tasty and a few other dishes were a miss. But overall the food was wonderful -- some of the best soups and pasta dishes ever. I did notice that the options were more limited each night than on previous cruises. We had dinner every night in the Restaurant so I cannot talk to 2 or the Colonnade at night.The Quest had a great crew and the service was outstanding.Husband did have the Nigerian shrimp( not me -- shellfish allergy) -- but they were not on the menu -- ordered then 24 hours in advance.

Divsec, you can sort out any problems before we board in Barcelona on 26th October!

You're ten days ahead of us in the pre-cruise excitement stakes, I'm just starting to rev up nicely :)

I will try my hardest to consume all the nf and lobster, after that you are on your own. I really wanted to do the transatlantic, I guess that is what you are doing for how long will you be on board?

Archived