Suggestions: Ocean Princess or Prinsendam

Funsun60

We have booked a Black Sea cruise on Prinsendam for October, 2014. We have now seen another cruise on the Ocean Princess that does Black Sea and Adriatic for less cost. For those of you who have experiences with both cruise lines, what would you suggest? We loved our previous cruise with HAL. Are there additional costs with Princess once on board that would be included on HAL? Any information to help us decide would be appreciated: i.e. food, ambience, on board services, in room dining, etc. Thank you all for any help/advice.

We have booked a Black Sea cruise on Prinsendam for October, 2014. We have now seen another cruise on the Ocean Princess that does Black Sea and Adriatic for less cost. For those of you who have experiences with both cruise lines, what would you suggest? We loved our previous cruise with HAL. Are there additional costs with Princess once on board that would be included on HAL? Any information to help us decide would be appreciated: i.e. food, ambience, on board services, in room dining, etc. Thank you all for any help/advice.

We are also on that cruise!! Come check out our rollcall!! I am the perfect person for this question as we sailed Ocean Princess Sept 2012 on a Greek Islands cruise from Rome to Venice. Ocean Princess is not nearly as nice as Prinsendam. The food on Prinsendam is more elegantly presented and there is a better selection. Princess repeats the same menu every 7 days. I gained 7 pounds on Ocean Princess because of trying their pasta course each evening, and not being able to pass by the pizza station that seems to be available much of the time. Their showlounge is not graded, so the viewing is impaired. Also, the lounge and other public areas are not as lovely as on Prinsendam. Princess does not have a hot room service breakfast. They offer a hot breakfast sandwich. The beds were terrible, unless they have replaced them. The back part of the lido was outdoor, which we used---but it has plastic furniture. Princess and HAL are owned by the same parent company. Onboard costs are about the same. The ship just looks old. People say that about Prinsendam, but they should see Ocean Princess. At least the only gobbed paint on Prinsendam is on the metal windows. On Ocean Princess, the stairways are very unattractive, covered with gobbed on paint. The dining room is also shabby. The whole ship is shabby. Don't get me wrong, we loved that cruise because of the itinerary. I believe Ocean Princess is much less expensive, but you get what you pay for!!

We took the Ocean Princess last Fall from Rome to Singapore and the Prinsendam back to back British Isles and Baltic. Both were wonderful cruises and now both are our favorite ships. Ocean Princess has the most beautiful library I have ever relaxed in on any ship we have sailed; it is located on an upper deck away from the hustle and bustle of the center of the ship. Both ships were originally built for higher end cruise lines than Princess or HAL. Both ships are small, but if you opt for the least expensive inside cabin on Prinsendam you will be surprised at how small it is. The food and service was very good on both ships; I prefer HAL and DW prefers Princess. While it is true that HAL has better in-room breakfast than Princess, we never order that because you never know exactly when it will arrive. You either get up half dressed to let the steward in or sit around waiting for it to arrive. Because both ships are small, they can stop at smaller ports that the larger ships will pass by. Incidentally, we are booked on the Prinsendam in October, so we are obviously very satisfied with her.

What specific cruises are you looking at (and what class)? I just looked at Prinsendam October 5 and Ocean Princess October 8, and the prices were very comparable at least OV (Prinsendam was a bit more since it was 16 days vs 18). What am I missing?

Roy

We've done a Black Sea itinerary on both Prinsendam and Pacific Princess (sister ship to Ocean). We've also looked at both for the upcoming year, but probably don't need to do again.

However, if we did, we'd most likely choose the Prinsendam. But, if there are tender ports involved, I will say that Princess did a better job on tendering. We like both ships (we have also been on the Ocean, BTW) but prefer the Prinsendam. We find the small Princess ships begin to feel a bit confining since the public rooms are smaller.

As for food, HAL is probably our preference, although both could use some improvement, we feel. We definitely prefer the MDR breakfast menu on HAL because there is so much more variety. Also, Princess small ships have no anytime dining (or open seating as it's known on HAL).

Another plus for us with Prinsendam is the walk around deck. Ocean and Pacific only have the upper deck for walking/running. If the weather is windy or rainy, it's pretty difficult to use that area. Last fall in the Black Sea, we were fortunate enough to have great weather and the space was more usable than other times we've been on the Princess small ships.

If wine is important to you, Princess wins hands down with a better selection at better prices and their wine packages are more attractive as well.

As for upkeep, we found the Pacific Princess to be in very good condition and there was much freshening up of paint going on when we were on in July. Last time we were on the Ocean, I don't recall any real issues on condition. However, we do find the decor rather dated.

Anyway these are just our thoughts on the differences in the two for what it's worth!!

What specific cruises are you looking at (and what class)? I just looked at Prinsendam October 5 and Ocean Princess October 8, and the prices were very comparable at least OV (Prinsendam was a bit more since it was 16 days vs 18). What am I missing?

Roy

You are right..prices not substantially different, but the princess cruise is longer with more port visits. I guess our question to ourselves was "should we go for more visits and somewhat longer itinerary for a less cost". Saving a few hundred dollars will leave extra in our budget for land tours, etc. We were not at all disappointed with our previous HAL cruise, and as we are not experienced cruisers, we didn't know if we should be sticking with a brand that we were happy with or try something different that could be just as good. Everyone's thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

You are right..prices not substantially different, but the princess cruise is longer with more port visits. I guess our question to ourselves was "should we go for more visits and somewhat longer itinerary for a less cost". Saving a few hundred dollars will leave extra in our budget for land tours, etc. We were not at all disappointed with our previous HAL cruise, and as we are not experienced cruisers, we didn't know if we should be sticking with a brand that we were happy with or try something different that could be just as good. Everyone's thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

The other thing you want to look at is the length of time in the various ports (and arrival time) as well as any possible overnights or late sailings - that can make quite a difference. I'd rather have more time in fewer ports than more ports with less time.

Haven't been on the Ocean Princess so I can't compare. Have only been on Prinsendam and enjoy her. Find her a 'step up' from the other HAL ships - food in MDR, etc. Her itineraries are usually good with good time in ports so you may want to take a look at that aspect?

I wanted to reiterate about the fixed dining. Princess has 6 and 8 o'clock seatings. We had to eat upstairs if we had a late tour. Prinsendam has anytime dining, which we much prefer. We also prefer her library. I believe it has a far superior collection of books.

I wanted to reiterate about the fixed dining. Princess has 6 and 8 o'clock seatings. We had to eat upstairs if we had a late tour. Prinsendam has anytime dining, which we much prefer. We also prefer her library. I believe it has a far superior collection of books.

Princess was one of the first cruise lines to offer anytime dining as well as smoke free balconies. I love both cruise lines, but much prefer a smoke free environment!

Princess was one of the first cruise lines to offer anytime dining as well as smoke free balconies. I love both cruise lines, but much prefer a smoke free environment!

Ocean and Pacific Princess do not have Anytime Dining---probably because they are so much smaller. I believe I mentioned I was on Ocean. Would have loved Anytime Dining if it was possible. The smoke free balcony is a plus. The square footage of the balcony cabins is less than on Prinsendam, as well.

Archived