any one lose weight from running?

Gathina

I jog 3-4 times per week (started running 3 years ago), and when I first started, I did lose about 10 pounds. Since then I haven't lost anymore, but I don't really have much to lose and I love to eat! :p My legs are much more toned than they used to be. I am a size 6/8, 5'11" I've heard that running is one of the best ways to lose belly fat, especially if you do run/jog/walk intervals. I love it! Such a stress reliever and if I go for a few days without running, I feel icky ...give it a try! Run as far as you can and then walk, repeat! Build your endurance up. it took me about 3-4 weeks to be able to go a full mile. Running is one of the best calorie burners there is! 10 minutes is about 100 calories

I did lose a lot of weight running many years ago. That was the early eighties before running, or jogging as we called it then, was as common as it is now. What I loved about it was that it killed my appetite. It just made me so thirsty that I drank lots of water and iced tea. Food didn't interest me after hot, long training runs.

I used to walk and run sixty miles a week and ran several marthons and half marathons, plus five Ks and ten Ks. That was the thinnest I have been since my high school days. It seemed effortless. The weight just came off.

But alas, not knowing much about how to train, I overdid things and suffered a bad stress fracture in my shins, chronic busitis in my hips and constant knee pain. Also running shoes weren't very good then, especially for women, so I often wore men's shoes to run.

I finally had to give up running because of all the injuries, but walking wasn't as effective at weight control for me. I think the difference in intensity between walking and running is significant. Plus walking takes so much more time if you want to cover those long distances.

These days there are much better resources for runners from shoes to orthotics to well-designed training plans and better ways of preventing and healing running injuries.

I did lose a lot of weight running many years ago. That was the early eighties before running, or jogging as we called it then, was as common as it is now. What I loved about it was that it killed my appetite. It just made me so thirsty that I drank lots of water and iced tea. Food didn't interest me after hot, long training runs.

I used to walk and run sixty miles a week and ran several marthons and half marathons, plus five Ks and ten Ks. That was the thinnest I have been since my high school days. It seemed effortless. The weight just came off.

But alas, not knowing much about how to train, I overdid things and suffered a bad stress fracture in my shins, chronic busitis in my hips and constant knee pain. Also running shoes weren't very good then, especially for women, so I often wore men's shoes to run.

I finally had to give up running because of all the injuries, but walking wasn't as effective at weight control for me. I think the difference in intensity between walking and running is significant. Plus walking takes so much more time if you want to cover those long distances.

These days there are much better resources for runners from shoes to orthotics to well-designed training plans and better ways of preventing and healing running injuries.

Just as a matter of interest. I have read your comments about running jogging as opposed to walking and I agree with you to some extent .I have suffered knee injuries as a result of early years My wife and I live in Adelaide South Australia by the way. We are both fairly fit a "youngish" early sixties. I have always been fitness aware. Used to run miles like you in my twenties thirties and early forties. We took up ballroom dancing for about 10 years to keep our fitness level up. Now the last 10 years we just walk about 1 to 1 and a half hours a day mainly with our spaniels. in the Adelaide hills. Do not have a problem with our weight eat what we like. Are you aware of the following which my doctor told me several years back. If you exercise for an hour your body metabolism doubles for the next 4 likewise if you exercise for half an hour your body metabolism doubles for the next 2 hours. Overall a good formula .You must be disciplined and diligent! We went on 18 day round Australia cruise last year and didn't put on a cracker in weight and for our next Trans Pacific on the Celebrity Century next September 2014 we won't put on weight either Take care Norm & Jenny

We must have different matabolisms. I actually do walk briskly an hour a day or more. I walk until the bursitis in my hips and foot pain make it too painful to continue. I have to count every calorie I eat and try not to top 1200 calories a day. I probably do reach 1500 a couple of times a week. It just seems so confining and frustrating to have to always carefully consider every bite that goes into my mouth. I will be seventy tomorrow, by the way.

Also I follow a vegan diet. I have for years. What the diet and exercise experts don't say is that the same advice does not apply to everyone and does not work for everyone. For some folks it is very much harder to control weight than it is for others. Not making excuses for myself here.

Beyond exercising like I do to the point of pain and beyond carefully restricting calorie intake, plus eating mainly fruits, veggies, nuts and legumes, I'm not really willing or able to sacrifice much more.

In response to the OP, my own life experience has taught me high mileage running was the single best way to control weight I have ever had, but I can't run anymore. So the best I can do now is what I am doing now.

In the past, running has been how I have lost weight along with watching what I eat. I also supplement the running with yoga. It has worked for me in the past, and I am trying it again now. It seems to be working so far, but I have to keep to my workout schedule.

Gee I would pass out on 1500 calories a day! .I am not sure what I consume but I eat what I want and have finally levelled off at around 76 kilos at 63 years of age.(been that for the past 6 to 8 years at five foot 9 and a half inches )I am not a desert eater through discipline and prefer the savory things in life. I really only eat when I am hungry . not out of habit like a lot of people do. But I still say the exercise before my main meal dinner at night gives me "the appetite" to really enjoy my food. I am starting to get sharp pains in my right knee though for all the years of running

I will stick with the exercise till I drop! Good luck

I speed walk five miles every morning at an 11 minute mile pace. (5 mph) I get all the cardio and shred benefits of jogging without the impact. I maintain my speed the entire time including uphill.

Of course if I skip a morning I need to adjust my calories for that day, as it burns about 600 calories an hour. (For me, your body mass will determine your actual burn)

It's a great fat shredder, BUT I caution that you also need some sort of strength training (weights, yoga, pilates, TRX, etc.) because cardio alone might help you lose fat but it's not going to give you a toned and fit look.

Exactly. And I'll add to that, exercise of any sort isn't a license to eat whatever you want,either!

To the poster who said running makes you hungry: if you don't fuel your body right, it will. For heavy duty runners it's usually a combination of protein and carbs. When I've done more than 5 miles I usually need to eat rice and beans after which is the perfect combination for me, and before it's a little peanut butter and banana or a cracker and peanut butter.

The key is to workout a few times a week and running is fine as are other cardio workouts and to also adjust eating habits accordingly.

Keith

anyone?

You can. I have lost a few lbs - but I also fuel for long runs, so not sure how much of a calorie deficit I am having.

I will tell you that even though I only lost a few pounds I did go down in clothing size. I look smaller though haven't measured.

On average I run 20-30 miles a week.

We are from northern Michigan where it gets very cold and lots of snow in the winter. I am sooo happy to have this to look forward too. We will be celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary so this will make it a memorable one being our first cruise.

We are flying into Fort Lauderdale two days prior so we need to make hotel and transportation arrangements yet. I have heard of Bayside Market. Maybe we will stay in that area as well

Nice to have this forum to share excitement with others

Debbie

Exactly. And I'll add to that, exercise of any sort isn't a license to eat whatever you want,either!

To the poster who said running makes you hungry: if you don't fuel your body right, it will. For heavy duty runners it's usually a combination of protein and carbs. When I've done more than 5 miles I usually need to eat rice and beans after which is the perfect combination for me, and before it's a little peanut butter and banana or a cracker and peanut butter.

I sometimes eat pre-run, sometimes don't. If I do it's fresh pineapple and banana, a combo of simple sugars and carbs. I only run in the morning, and after I have oatmeal with fruit and protein powder, sometimes scrambled egg whites as well if I'm still hungry.

Archived