Second hand clothing stores-any other fans?

Gathina

I didn't find it too outrageous but like anything, if I like it enough, the quality is decent, then I will indeed buy it if it's pricey and feel it's worth it.

My one thing I want to find-and I know I probably never will-is a vintage Pucci dress..I know, don't hold my breath. I did find a top last time and it wasn't cheap, but if it had fit i would have bought it for sure!

I'm not keen on the smell in some of these places, so don't generally go in. I have wandered in looking for antiques or vintage type of items though. The nearest to clothing was a gorgeous pink purse and pair of gloves from the 1920's, but I guess this was more of an antique store in San Fran..

However my aunt is mad about "charity shops" and jumble sales, a bit like a rough and tumble large yard or garage sale, normally held in the local church or scout hall back home. She used to buy all the family stuff and we were like, thank you and then it went straight back in the charity donation bag, shame as she was being so thoughtful when I look back.

I too like Notting Hill but it is getting more and more geared towards tourists so it is expensive and not so many bargains to be had. Vintage clothing prices are through the roof and not many bargains to be found same with the antiques but I still go every time I am in London. Just don't let them rip you off some of them see pound signs when they hear the American accent.

I didn't find it too outrageous but like anything, if I like it enough, the quality is decent, then I will indeed buy it if it's pricey and feel it's worth it.

My one thing I want to find-and I know I probably never will-is a vintage Pucci dress..I know, don't hold my breath. I did find a top last time and it wasn't cheap, but if it had fit i would have bought it for sure!

Maybe I find it pricier as I am British and remember when these clothes used to be in Oxfam for £2, not the £200 they now command.

I have some nice Pucci bits mainly shoes and bags and do love the print, it's classic. Hopefully you will find some nice items. The vintage boutiques at the top end near the tube station (NHG) might have what you like, I come in from the other end tube station as it's more geared towards locals there to begin with and then you hit the crowds as you meander along. There is some great second hand items in this area and it is not exorbitant prices that you can find up on Portabello Road.

It's then mobbed by the time you get up there which I don't like but it's addictive as you know:D.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I always think of thrift and consignment shops as treasure hunts , you just never know what you are going to find. If and when I have time to spare, it is fun to go browse, with out breaking the budget.

Cori

Nottinghill gate is on my agenda for this Thursday afternoon...which end of the Tube station are you referring to? I know those vintage boutiques you are referring too..bought a coat at one of them! :)

If you have any other ideas of where to head to, I am ALL ears. I stay at High Street Kensington right between Kensington Gardens and Holland Park. I'll be at the Anna Freud Center on business (I think it's Finchley road area). But with my tube pass, I can go anywhere!

Maybe I find it pricier as I am British and remember when these clothes used to be in Oxfam for £2, not the £200 they now command.

I have some nice Pucci bits mainly shoes and bags and do love the print, it's classic. Hopefully you will find some nice items. The vintage boutiques at the top end near the tube station (NHG) might have what you like, I come in from the other end tube station as it's more geared towards locals there to begin with and then you hit the crowds as you meander along. There is some great second hand items in this area and it is not exorbitant prices that you can find up on Portabello Road.

It's then mobbed by the time you get up there which I don't like but it's addictive as you know:D.

I always think of thrift and consignment shops as treasure hunts , you just never know what you are going to find. If and when I have time to spare, it is fun to go browse, with out breaking the budget.

Cori

I agree! It is my year-round hobby. All of my cruise gowns and cocktail dresses have come from thrift stores and charity shops. I have a number of designer dresses that would have cost in the hundreds, or more, and were probably worn one time before being donated. DH's tuxedos are thrift store finds, too, and cost under $50 for prime brands. You just have to look whenever you can.

Well here I am in London working and shopping when I can! I discovered that Hospice and the Heart Foundation here have the BEST charity shops...saw some lovely things but not my size unfortunately...but what fun to look! Saw some beautiful winter coats but wouldn't do me any good in southern Florida! :(

I love shopping at thrift stores! It's really hit or miss where I am though but I've been lucky to snag some great summer dresses and tops. Some of the items at our stores are overstock items from chain retailers so you can sometimes find brand new bathing suits and shoes at a major discount. I'm actually going to one after work today in search of a pea coat; I've been losing weight and none of my coats fit!

Wow! where at?

A couple of little towns away -- there are a couple of small thrift/charity stores there :)

I am certain you know what I mean when I say "quality whispers" and as soon as I saw this item I knew. No tag/label, but my knowing was confirmed as soon as I touched it, it is cashmere. 200 cm x 140 cm. Sigh... :D

I've been haunting ebay looking for one, but the real cashmere ones there are way too expensive for me.

(... and if you are NOT YET a thrift store fan, I paid $6 :eek: :D )

I got my 2 formal dresses for our last cruise at one. Both black, both beautiful & both fit great! Just bought 2 recently for this trip...one royal blue for $13 & a black one for $10. Both are in my car to bring to the dry cleaners. I have no idea how to post pics (maybe I should figure it out!).

I was always hesitant to go. I went last year for the 1st time & I am now an addict lol. I can't believe the things I found!

I went out at lunch yesterday and found an Eileen Fisher mohair/wool cardigan for $4. (also a cute ceramic cat bowl, so my cat is a happy recipient of my thrift store finds too):D

I did make it to a couple of thrift & consignment stores when I was visiting my sister last week - got some nice tops (cotton JJill t-shirt and tunic sweater, Eddie Bauer hiking long sleeve with vents super cheap, and a silk striped sweater) Nothing great at the consignment store (the great deals didn't look good on me; the stuff that was cute on me was overpriced in my opinion:rolleyes:) My sister introduced me to the joy that is children's consignment stores (I was visiting her to meet my new nephew) She's found some great deals there!

I look at eBay as a second hand store and have got some great deals there. Especially for Chico clothes. I know my size there and I have never had to send anything back.

I donate to a hospital's thrift shop and always tell myself I should also "shop" there. I haven't done that yet, but, a friend told me yesterday that she had bought a Talbot cashmere coat there for $16 this week, so I may check it out.....

I've been in London 10 days working and going home tomorrow and boy I got some great things in the Heart Association charity shops here. My friend I am staying with sold 3 Yeager coats on Ebay this week and someone got a great deal!

You are right about "quality whispers"..when you see it, you know it. And then the best feeling of knowing you paid next to nothing for it!

A couple of little towns away -- there are a couple of small thrift/charity stores there :)

I am certain you know what I mean when I say "quality whispers" and as soon as I saw this item I knew. No tag/label, but my knowing was confirmed as soon as I touched it, it is cashmere. 200 cm x 140 cm. Sigh... :D

I've been haunting ebay looking for one, but the real cashmere ones there are way too expensive for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Visited an upscale Goodwill today. Found these shoes (never worn) for $6. I figured even if I only wore them a few times I would get my money's worth.[ATTACH]292157[/ATTACH]

Those are very cute:D:):D

I ran out at lunch and found a deal for my husband - thinsulate lined LL Bean khakis, $3.50. Such a bargain! Looks like someone bought them for a wintery trip and then gave them away? They aren't even hemmed properly - just tacked up on the seam with a few stitches- so will be easy to adjust as we need to for my husband's inseam. Didn't find anything for myself today; c'est la vie....

Wow-that's a great deal! When my husband started his job outdoors working with horses we bought all of his work clothes at Goodwill-no way was I going to spend money on clothes that were going to get trashed everyday with dirt and you name it. We found everything he needed , good brands of jeans, work pants, shirts, etc..sans work boots and his boss said out of the whole crew he was the only one that came dressed appropriately for work all the time and was ready for whatever job he might have to do. I told him "Did you tell him your wife knows how to shop Goodwill" haha

I ran out at lunch and found a deal for my husband - thinsulate lined LL Bean khakis, $3.50. Such a bargain! Looks like someone bought them for a wintery trip and then gave them away? They aren't even hemmed properly - just tacked up on the seam with a few stitches- so will be easy to adjust as we need to for my husband's inseam. Didn't find anything for myself today; c'est la vie....

Those really are cute-could be great with jeans, a cute skirt and tights, etc. I hope they are comfortable, that'll make it an even more valuable find!

Visited an upscale Goodwill today. Found these shoes (never worn) for $6. I figured even if I only wore them a few times I would get my money's worth.[ATTACH]292157[/ATTACH]

I've been able to find a lot of clothing for my husband for work (esp heavy wool sweaters - some days he's welding and you do NOT want to be wearing fleece/polyester as a warmth layer when there are sparks flying!) Shorts for summer work have also been pretty easy to find, but not his winter pants - insulated jeans or insulated carharts. But I can usually find them on sale at Sierra Trading Post or other online sites.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Would love to see a pic!

Would love to see a pic!

Would post a pic, but I've got major computer problems and anything I do that is out of the ordinary (in my computer's assessment) ends up with a frozen screen, and then a bunch of drama ensues ;) Have a new computer, but we are reluctant to move to Windows 8, so haven't plugged it in.

The wrap is a soft gray, the weave is nothing special.

Got a Dale of Norway sweater this week, and for someone who lives in the cold frozen north, that is a big score!

Would be nice to have a fashion show of thrift store finds in this thread, but I will not ask, seeing as I would only be able to appreciate, not participate. That seems like asking others to do work for my enjoyment, y'know?

I've been able to find a lot of clothing for my husband for work (esp heavy wool sweaters - some days he's welding and you do NOT want to be wearing fleece/polyester as a warmth layer when there are sparks flying!) Shorts for summer work have also been pretty easy to find, but not his winter pants - insulated jeans or insulated carharts. But I can usually find them on sale at Sierra Trading Post or other online sites.

Have had very little luck with clothing for my DH. Did get him a tux, and a few nice shirts, but basic stuff in the thrifts around here seems to be beaten to cr*p.