Second hand clothing stores-any other fans?

Gathina

You've all inspired me. I told my dd about this thread and yesterday we went to a huge Goodwill store in our area. She got bags and bags of work clothes for a few dollars per item. All name brands, most never worn! Amazing!

Thanks again! Awesome thread!

I was off yesterday and went through my closet-I'd lost some more weight-so am bringing some things to our church's thrift store-all the money earned goes toward charity and last year they gave something like 100k to the community. But the most amazing thing was to step back and look at my "new" wardrobe and see some of the fascinating things I got from local thrifts here and Europe-and to think I have clothes from Escada and other brands for pennies. In the end, everyone benefits I'm not big into finding shoes at secondhand stores but did see some decent Cole Hahn's yesterday at Goodwill but sadly not my size.

You've all inspired me. I told my dd about this thread and yesterday we went to a huge Goodwill store in our area. She got bags and bags of work clothes for a few dollars per item. All name brands, most never worn! Amazing!

I don't like second hand because I get frustrated with finding things I like but never in my size.

I do sell things on consignment at them, and am about to take a pile of clothing--much of it better brands and designer--that are too large to be altered successfully to my local one. Hopefully someone with a lot more shopping patience than I have will feel like they've hit the jackpot. :)

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Welcome to the "dark side" :D There's no turning back now ;)

I was off yesterday and went through my closet-I'd lost some more weight-so am bringing some things to our church's thrift store-all the money earned goes toward charity and last year they gave something like 100k to the community. But the most amazing thing was to step back and look at my "new" wardrobe and see some of the fascinating things I got from local thrifts here and Europe-and to think I have clothes from Escada and other brands for pennies. In the end, everyone benefits I'm not big into finding shoes at secondhand stores but did see some decent Cole Hahn's yesterday at Goodwill but sadly not my size.

Good for you! For the stuff I don't wreck, I send it back to a thrift once I'm done with it.

If you ever saw me onboard, you would never for an instant think that Value Village and Goodwill were my preferred stores ;) We shared a dinner table on one cruise with people who were "old money", and the daughter was consistently complimenting me on my clothes.

Yes indeed-Welcome to "the dark side"..the best part is when someone compliments you and you can say "Oh, this old thing? It's really nothing but thanks.." and your thinking "If she only knew.." :)

that would be a fun party-a thrift store fashion show with pate :) I collect green glass..I found a luncheon set for 6...1960's..the small plate has a cup holder for the matching punch cup..$4.99 at Goodwill

Ran out at lunch, looking for a couple items to make Christmas gifts. Found a $45 terrine mold, on sale for 75c. What a find :-) Pate at my house!:D

Picked up a Fossil multipurpose wallet for $2.92. The same style is on the Fossil website for retail $55. And a fabulous orange/rust wool/nylon blend hat for $3.93. The brand is "Essential" and the tag says made in Italy...it looks a lot like this hat:

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/product/belfry-polly.html

Love grabbing accessories!

Wow! We were at the Adopt a Pet thrift store yesterday and I saw a gorgeous Armani woman's skirt suit for $25 and a vintage Calvin Klein "little black dress"-wool, am guessing it was 1970 ish..$15 but I withheld as I have a couple of other black dresses!

Picked up a Fossil multipurpose wallet for $2.92. The same style is on the Fossil website for retail $55. And a fabulous orange/rust wool/nylon blend hat for $3.93. The brand is "Essential" and the tag says made in Italy...it looks a lot like this hat:

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/product/belfry-polly.html

Love grabbing accessories!

I have donned myself for very few bucks...on my 61 cruzes.with day and evening wear. evening bags and jewelry. I get loads of looks and wows, from me and women, My average price per piece is $5.50..some way less, some hi-enders..$10 to 15. I launder them in the sink w/shampoo.....rinse on a hanger in the shower and hang to dry. very little press..I rotate seasonally, and repeat only bottoms and silky type camis.Lost 40 pounds, and have altered, or sold the biggies. Now I am into designer shiney, jeans and jackets that I pair with my own designs of couture jewelry, I just purged the cruise closet..so room for more!!! I also have a seamstress that adds and alters for me, for a fresh look. Priceless !!!

A woman after my own heart!! Same here with the weight loss and all else!

I have donned myself for very few bucks...on my 61 cruzes.with day and evening wear. evening bags and jewelry. I get loads of looks and wows, from me and women, My average price per piece is $5.50..some way less, some hi-enders..$10 to 15. I launder them in the sink w/shampoo.....rinse on a hanger in the shower and hang to dry. very little press..I rotate seasonally, and repeat only bottoms and silky type camis.Lost 40 pounds, and have altered, or sold the biggies. Now I am into designer shiney, jeans and jackets that I pair with my own designs of couture jewelry, I just purged the cruise closet..so room for more!!! I also have a seamstress that adds and alters for me, for a fresh look. Priceless !!!

should have read 81, of 'em..and booked another today;;and a pair of gold denim found the way to a bag, and followed me home!!!....Reba McIntyres brand...and a great gold thread swing topper that is drape-y...in "50" shades of grey !!!!! got just the perfect hunky jewels to fill up the neckline !!!!

Edited by luckycruzer

Go you! The MOH and my only attendant at my wedding last year found a Cache gown , worn 1x during summer off season here for $50 and we had it altered into her gown. One of our Goodwill's here last night was off the chain-they had "clearance" racks for $1.99 and a quick glance saw many things from Tablot's, Ann Taylor, INC, and Chicos. Nothing I wanted, though.

Woo! Just scored a fabulous Cache white pantsuit at St. Vincent de Paul store. Looks like it was never worn. Now I have to wait 150 days to put it on for boarding day.

It pays to look, all year round.

What an eye opener all your posts have been--THANKS!

After reading through all of them, I went to the local (15 miles away) Goodwill, and I found the most divine tweed silk jacket; is anyone reading this familiar with the Carlisle label? The fabric and workmanship is splendid for a ready to wear garment, and I wonder what I've been missing.....

Thrift and consignment shopping is a favorite hobby - it's fun and satisfying to find a great item at a bargain price.I visit my local places regularly and when I an traveling I am always on the lookout for a new place. Most recently, some of my finds have been - a perfectly fitting pair of Like-new Bandolino jeans for $10 and a reversable knit top for $6, and two Nine West purses for $12 each at my favorite local consignment shop; several Rafaela and Talbots skirts for $3.50 each at my favorite "second hand boutique"; and two Ann Taylor tee shirts for $5 each from Goodwills near my daughter's house; and a white denim jacket for $3 from a local charity shop. While traveling this summer, I wore the jeans, t-shirts and jacket more than any other items in my wardrobe.

Now I know how to describe a new past time!

Oh CruznRagtop, welcome to a new addiction. I worked at the headquarters of a Fortune 100 company, was known for my designer and unique suits, and never paid more than $20 for anything.

I have, estimate only, a gazillion thrifted cocktail dresses and - funfunfun - two cruises with formal nights coming up. So, now I am on the thrift and estate/yard sale hunt for formal dresses! Life is so good when it has purpose.

Edited by nlsoftly

Welcome to the "dark side" of being a clothes snob :) I don't know that label, have you googled it?

I popped into Goodwill last night, many lovely things but I also learned a hint from one of the workers-on Sundays they mark the tags down. Yesterday red tags were 50%off which means they were that way all week. I couldn't get her to pony up what color tag was going on sale today but I'm just down the street and I saw a lovely canary yellow silk sweater and also a pink talbot's sweater set. Don't need it,really, but if the price is right??

Glad to hear all the great finds-had no idea others were as passionate about this as I was!

After reading through all of them, I went to the local (15 miles away) Goodwill, and I found the most divine tweed silk jacket; is anyone reading this familiar with the Carlisle label? The fabric and workmanship is splendid for a ready to wear garment, and I wonder what I've been missing.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_Collection

Also, they have a website-their stuff ain't cheap either!

At Goodwill I scored a long formal black dress with cowl drapped neckline and some beading , saw the same thing at Macys, don't think it has even been worn , paid $6. Have to do some minor alterations, but I can do that myself , yes I love a bargin.....

Cori

I was at Goodwill yesterday in Deerfield Beach, scored a Talbot's blouse-again looked like it was never worn..$6. We went to another Goodwill in Delray Beach as we were on a road trip and although not clothes-scored some vintage 1960s-1970s green glass (I collect green class) for $1 each per mug and tray. Today we're going to another one closer to our home as I'm looking for a waffle iron. The other thing I get at second hand stores is my "old school" cooking things-I can't tell you how many brand new bread makers, waffle irons, etc. I've seen, I even bought 2 dressers from the Art Deco era and paid $40 once. Happy for the bargains I can pick up, but also a grim reminder of how much waste we have in this country!