Sunshine concerns

tweety33

People are still posting that the Sunshine has buckets in the hallways catching water from ceiling leaks. My concern, it they can't fix it and are still getting leaking ceilings, won't that eventually weaken them, and the ceiling will be falling down on the ship:eek:.

I wanted to book this ship, for 2014, but I don't want to get crushed. Any thoughts?

Someone also said that when the tank is full of fuel it tilts to one side. I don't know if that was a joke or the truth.:confused::confused:

I'd like to hear more also from those who were just on the Sunshine. Haven't ruled it out completely yet.

I'd have to imagine the fuel story is fabricated, unless the ship has somehow completely lost its structure (which isn't the case if it's still operational). If your trip isn't until sometime in 2014, I would assume they'd fix the leaks well before the ships floors / ceilings lost their structrual integrity as well. All ships are serviced in Freeport, Grand Bahama if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully it gets in there before you're on board.

I just got off the Sunshine two weeks ago, so I can vouch for the buckets and ceiling leaks (unfortunately!) There were always a few buckets on deck 7 where my cabin was, but it wasn't that big a deal- we just walked around them!

As for the listing, I never felt the ship listing at all (aside from when the seas were really rough and it felt like the huge cruise ship was being tossed around like a child's toy haha but that had nothing to do with fuel!) I can't imagine the fuel thing is valid because there would be major safety issues if it were true.

There were no buckets in the halls on our cruise (May 17th, 2013) and I explored all over the ship. I posted lots of pictures from our cruise. Our cabin was on Deck 7.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1845665

It doesn't mean others have not seen a bucket or two on some other cruises, but some who haven't even been on the ship are blowing it way out of proportion and trying to stir up controversy.

I know many who will be on the Transatlantic and we will be on Carnival Sunshine again in Feb, 2013. No worries.

Oh yeah, there was NO list.

My wife and I just got off the Sunshine on Sunday (Sept 29) in Barcelona. We were on Deck 7 (7112 to be exact). There were only two buckets in our hallway. There was no listing of the ship at all. The cruise and staff were incredible. The ship has undergone a major transformation, it it looks and feels like a new ship (I could honestly care less about the new vs old ship debate...it is simply not important...to us, it was a new ship, and I can say that having sailed the Destiny only 11 months prior). Would we go on the Sunshine again...in a heartbeat...If a bucket or two in a hallway collecting drips ruins your cruise....then you have other issues in my opinion.

My wife and I just got off the Sunshine on Sunday (Sept 29) in Barcelona. We were on Deck 7 (7112 to be exact). There were only two buckets in our hallway. There was no listing of the ship at all. The cruise and staff were incredible. The ship has undergone a major transformation, it it looks and feels like a new ship (I could honestly care less about the new vs old ship debate...it is simply not important...to us, it was a new ship, and I can say that having sailed the Destiny only 11 months prior). Would we go on the Sunshine again...in a heartbeat...If a bucket or two in a hallway collecting drips ruins your cruise....then you have other issues in my opinion.

Which is the concensus for those of us that have been on the Sunshine. Those that haven't just take drive-by pot shots that have very little validity.

My 3 girls (11, 13, 15) said about our Sunshine cruise, "Best Vacation Ever." So you negative nancy girls, put that in your pipe and smoke it. :D

Hold it right there....I mean..stop the freaken presses....we're on the Sunshine TA in like what...5 weeks now...and we're in 7102....you mean to tell me, that we'll be dodging those 2 buckets (7102 & 7112 pretty close to each other) for 16 freaken days?!?!?!?!? I dunno how in the heck we're gonna be able to tolerate THAT!!! And this list thing that keeps coming up...I mean if the ship DOES list....we could be falling right INTO those buckets trying to get up and down the hallways..and god KNOWS what the heck is IN those buckets....good grief, just what in the wholly sam heck have we gotten ourselves into!?!?!?

Oh wait, I remember now...16 days...several Med ports..1 caribbean port...10 days at sea...and if mother nature cooperates this November as she did last November...16 days of fun..sun..and sea.....Can't wait.

Hold it right there....I mean..stop the freaken presses....we're on the Sunshine TA in like what...5 weeks now...and we're in 7102....you mean to tell me, that we'll be dodging those 2 buckets (7102 & 7112 pretty close to each other) for 16 freaken days?!?!?!?!? I dunno how in the heck we're gonna be able to tolerate THAT!!! And this list thing that keeps coming up...I mean if the ship DOES list....we could be falling right INTO those buckets trying to get up and down the hallways..and god KNOWS what the heck is IN those buckets....good grief, just what in the wholly sam heck have we gotten ourselves into!?!?!?

Oh wait, I remember now...16 days...several Med ports..1 caribbean port...10 days at sea...and if mother nature cooperates this November as she did last November...16 days of fun..sun..and sea.....Can't wait.

lol we are there as well, cabin 7242, 16 days of the bucket dance, wow tht sounds fun to me, see you there.

lol we are there as well, cabin 7242, 16 days of the bucket dance, wow tht sounds fun to me, see you there.

Absolutely...Hey..we may be able to come up with a new, albeit temporary ship activity....The Bucket Dance.....A ship on a stick awarded to the most creative dance....which I know won't be me...buckets aside...2 left feet dance wise...but be fun to watch!!

People are still posting that the Sunshine has buckets in the hallways catching water from ceiling leaks. My concern, it they can't fix it and are still getting leaking ceilings, won't that eventually weaken them, and the ceiling will be falling down on the ship:eek:. The ship is made of steel. While the ceiling panels, like those in just about every building, may absorb water to the point of falling down or coming apart, they won't hurt anyone (other than their getting wet) The deck above them is steel, and it's not coming down.

I wanted to book this ship, for 2014, but I don't want to get crushed. Any thoughts?

Someone also said that when the tank is full of fuel it tilts to one side. I don't know if that was a joke or the truth.:confused::confused: The ship has multiple "ballast tanks" that include the fuel tanks. They are constantly shifting water/fuel/waste in order to keep the ship level - it's very precise and automated. No worries there

I'd like to hear more also from those who were just on the Sunshine. Haven't ruled it out completely yet.

Go and have a good time - lots more things to enjoy than not....

There were no buckets in the halls on our cruise (May 17th, 2013) and I explored all over the ship. I posted lots of pictures from our cruise. Our cabin was on Deck 7.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1845665

It doesn't mean others have not seen a bucket or two on some other cruises, but some who haven't even been on the ship are blowing it way out of proportion and trying to stir up controversy.

I know many who will be on the Transatlantic and we will be on Carnival Sunshine again in Feb, 2013. No worries.

Oh yeah, there was NO list.

Hasn't February 2013 passed already?:p

Bill

People are still posting that the Sunshine has buckets in the hallways catching water from ceiling leaks. My concern, it they can't fix it and are still getting leaking ceilings, won't that eventually weaken them, and the ceiling will be falling down on the ship:eek:.

Someone also said that when the tank is full of fuel it tilts to one side. I don't know if that was a joke or the truth.:confused::confused:

Just got off Sunshine it never tilted. As far as buckets saw a couple. I really think when sunshine comes back to states next month they will get to bottom of the hall leaks. Engineers worked everyday on the leaks. I think water pressure is too high. Showers worked like a charm nice and powerfull. This could be the problem too much water too fast they pipes.

Just got off the sunshine on 29th and I felt no tilting! I saw a few buckets but paid little attention to them and can't remember locations apart from outside the dining room. They are not big buckets and at first I thought it was a waste paper bin until I remembered reading about the issue on the forums - there wasn't much water in them.

We had a cabin on the lido deck and one morning there were quite a few maintenance guys doing something with the panelling in the ceiling outside our cabin and on another day they turned the air con off on our floor to work on it - no sure if that is where the leaks are coming from but I am sure they are doing their best to rectify the situation . There was no impact however on the cruise which was great by the way- the ship looks like a brand new ship and they have done a great job with the renovations.

We are going on the Carnival Sunshine beginning October 11th for 37 days (b-b-b) from Barcelona to New Orleans. Then will go for 28 more days beginning January 5th 2014 for a b-b-b-b. Both of us are looking forward to all our days aboard the Sunshine. We sailed her as the Destiny in 2005 and are looking forward to seeing all the new changes.

We are going on the Carnival Sunshine beginning October 11th for 37 days (b-b-b) from Barcelona to New Orleans. Then will go for 28 more days beginning January 5th 2014 for a b-b-b-b. Both of us are looking forward to all our days aboard the Sunshine. We sailed her as the Destiny in 2005 and are looking forward to seeing all the new changes.

You Lucky Dog. I'm jealous.

We enjoyed our Sunshine cruise round the Med in August so much we've just today booked to sail on her out of Miami next August, apart from the fact it's 7 days and not 12 we'll be on her similar dates and we've booked the same room (Aft Ocean Suite) we loved it so much. :)

I also just got off the Sunshine on the 29th... Has a wonderful time, great staff, these few little waste paper sized cans in one of two places had no impacted my cruise.... go enjoy yourself and don't sweat the small stuff..

Hold it right there....I mean..stop the freaken presses....we're on the Sunshine TA in like what...5 weeks now...and we're in 7102....you mean to tell me, that we'll be dodging those 2 buckets (7102 & 7112 pretty close to each other) for 16 freaken days?!?!?!?!?

You can look at it this way, if the ship loses power and toilets, etc. you will know where to grab a bucket really quick to keep in your cabin in case you have to use those red bags. :eek::D

I was on the 9 day sailing in August, and those who have seen my review and pictures will have seen a number of dip buckets around the ship, although its not attractive it certainly was one negative against dozens of positives.

No list on the sailing i was on. But then again, i didn't to spend my holiday/vacation trying to see if there was!

You'll have a blast.

I didn't see any small ones but the bad news is there's a huge water bucket on the Lido deck right in the middle.

But the good news is that water bucket is big enough to swim in.

Yea, but doesn't that bucket tip over on it's side with alarming regularity spilling it's contents onto the Lido deck?!?!? I mean..the horror!!!!

Archived