Crazy way to get a price drop

Sugar67

A co-worker told me yesterday about a tv program she had watched regarding on-line quotes. The show said a lot of companies have a "tracker" on their websites that keeps track of the IP address and the actual quote given to that IP address.

Truthfully I thought she was crazy, until I actually put this theory to the test :eek:. On my phone I was able to get a price drop of $30 per cabin but I thought, oh well once I get home it will show up there....I was wrong. I tried on my computer, hubby's laptop and my tablet and NOWHERE could I come up with the same price.

I called Carnival and they were able to put the price drop through for me. I still can't believe this. I guess my advice to you all is to check with multiple devices when checking for price drops...it worked for me :D

It has to do with your cookies, because it remembers certain things from the website and will go automatically there. If you clean out your cookie jar (sorry couldn't help myself, LOL). You can get the new updated prices.

I'm glad that Carnival was able to do it for you though!

When I changed my cruise, I couldn't find a certain rate, so I called and I was able to get my room cheaper (at least I thought). It was an advertised price but I had too many cookies in my jar (which is never a problem in real life).

We have had that happen with airline quotes also. I was on the phone with my Son In Law. We were both looking at the airline website for the exact same flights. We both had different prices. I had been checking mine out a few days before, and mine showed the same price I had already seen. He had not checked out the fares yet, and his showed a cheaper price. Doesn't seem right, but that's what we found.

Claudia

Anytime you're searching prices on things like airline tickets, cruise ships, hotels, etc., after every search, clear your cache and/or history files, so that your computer doesn't point back to where you just were.

Last year, I spent several days doing that with Priceline and several other similar sites, and eventually was able to score round trip tickets from our local airport to Edinburgh Scotland for my sons and I, along with hotel reservations in Edinburgh & Dublin, Ireland, and round trip air from Edinburgh to Dublin -- a 10 day trip -- all for under $3000!

...and the same process works with cruise lines too....

I am not computer savvy. Is not clearing cookies the reason why I see ads from sites I've visited?

I'm not all that savvy either but I would guess that is the case. It's always good to clean out the cookies to speed up your computer. I know when my gets slow that's what I do.

Dumb question, but how do I clear my cookies?

Not dumb at all, but it does depend what browser you're using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc). Best advice is to google "how do I clear cookies on Internet Explorer 8" (for example - change it to whatever browser you happen to be using.

You can also browse anonymously. If you use Chrome for your web browser you can choose "New Incognito Window" from the dropdown on the upper right. That will hit the site as if you have never been there. I think most of the browsers have a feature like this.

Dumb question, but how do I clear my cookies?

I think of cookies as a sort of post it note for the computer. It is something that it wants to remember temporarily, like the websites that you visit or your username or passwords for websites.

Under my version of internet explorer you can look at the top under "Tools" then Delete Browsing History. A pop up comes up with different things you can check then you hit delete at the bottom.

On IE you can hit F12 and clear cookies from just one site. Clearing them from all sites at once makes accessing your banking sites and things like that a real pain. Or as someone else said just use the "incognito" or "private" option.

When you try to keep track of the fares for your cruise, you must check more than the Carnival site or fare viewer. I have found different price s on fare viewer, the Carnival website and on some of the travel sites( Orbitz, Travelocity, even AAA).

• 4 months later...
A co-worker told me yesterday about a tv program she had watched regarding on-line quotes. The show said a lot of companies have a "tracker" on their websites that keeps track of the IP address and the actual quote given to that IP address.

Truthfully I thought she was crazy, until I actually put this theory to the test :eek:. On my phone I was able to get a price drop of $30 per cabin but I thought, oh well once I get home it will show up there....I was wrong. I tried on my computer, hubby's laptop and my tablet and NOWHERE could I come up with the same price.

I called Carnival and they were able to put the price drop through for me. I still can't believe this. I guess my advice to you all is to check with multiple devices when checking for price drops...it worked for me :D

It has to do with your cookies, because it remembers certain things from the website and will go automatically there. If you clean out your cookie jar (sorry couldn't help myself, LOL). You can get the new updated prices.

I'm glad that Carnival was able to do it for you though!

When I changed my cruise, I couldn't find a certain rate, so I called and I was able to get my room cheaper (at least I thought). It was an advertised price but I had too many cookies in my jar (which is never a problem in real life).

I want to thank you all for such great info and taking the time to share!!!!!!!WOW!!!!

just cleaned my cookies.. i like on chrome how it say "obliterate" the following information from the last hour.. lol pretty funny...

ok going to test it now to see what the price says..

for my cruise balcony was showing for 919....(before eating my cookies)

as long as we dont all lose our cookies we are good.. :eek:

just cleaned my cookies.. i like on chrome how it say "obliterate" the following information from the last hour.. lol pretty funny...

ok going to test it now to see what the price says..

for my cruise balcony was showing for 919....(before eating my cookies)

as long as we dont all lose our cookies we are good.. :eek:

stayed the same :confused:

Its not just cookies but ip hijacking and quite legal!

If you search a cheap airline site for specific days and quite often waiting for a price reduction for your dates you will find that the dates you dont want are always cheaper than the ones you want, this is because they know you want those dates through the amount of like searches you do.

Use a private VPN so your ip address cannot be recognized;)

You can also browse anonymously. If you use Chrome for your web browser you can choose "New Incognito Window" from the dropdown on the upper right. That will hit the site as if you have never been there. I think most of the browsers have a feature like this.

Thanks for the tip. (I've never been there, but my grandfather grew up in North Tonawanda.)

Cookies can be your friend too. (I THINK - I CAN BE WRONG) This is why you don't have to keep signing onto cruise critic & all of those other websites that have user names & passwords.

Also cookies help when searching for a jaguar, based on your history they will get you to cats or cars.