Delta skymiles has me confused..

Tinkerbell

My husband an I each have enough Delta skymiles to get airfare for a cruise in July. My concern is how do I book this flight? Do I have to go on the website and do individual tickets? I am so afraid I will book a flight for myself and when I go in and book for my husband it will say its not available or something odd? Any suggestions will be appreciated....

Honestly with Delta, you are best to either call them or use an award booking service. If you use the website I can almost guarantee you that it will cost you thousands more miles per person than if someone who really knows what they are doing with Delta does it. I know what I am doing and it took me 45 minutes today to "almost" find business class seats to Europe using Delta miles. I still don't have what I want/need.

If you call expect an extra $25 fee. But since you want to book 2 it may be worth the fee. I just book using the online site. Unless it is last minute availability is probably OK.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Unless it is last minute availability is probably OK.
Actually, availability is often better very close to departure, especially for international travel.

And you must not know about the term "SkyPesos"??

For the OP: What are your dates and cities? Class of service? IMO, if you are asking questions such as this (and no disrespect intended), you will probably do well to pay the phone service charge. However, a few tips.

1) Sign up for an ExpertFlyer account and use it to check actual inventory levels for the flights you want. That will tell you if there is only one ticket available.

2) Try searching for both one and two tickets and three on the DL website. If you get two or three for the same price (and that's the low price of the three), then call up DL and grab the seats. The agent can grab them, then take the miles for each out of your respective accounts. The phone fee will be less than the redeposit fee if you get a glitch in the booking and have to cancel out an award ticket.

With Delta you do have to be flexible. You may end up booking one passenger at a different ff rate than the other. If you have enough points book both under the same PNR using one account.

You do have a 24 hour cancellation period however.

If you will give us your dates and itinerary we can try to help because there are multiple options especially if you are going to Asia or Europe.

As an aside, if you are booking two tickets with two different accounts by phone you will pay $25 per ticket unless you are a higher medallion member.

Get back to us and we can be more specific. Or go to Flyertalk, with the specifics, and ask the Delta experts.

My husband an I each have enough Delta skymiles to get airfare for a cruise in July. My concern is how do I book this flight? Do I have to go on the website and do individual tickets? I am so afraid I will book a flight for myself and when I go in and book for my husband it will say its not available or something odd? Any suggestions will be appreciated....

FYI if by saying you have enough miles you mean 25,000, be aware it is VERY common that they'll want more miles than that. Going to Cleveland, sure 25,000 miles. Going to Miami in the winter, odds are pretty good that they'll want more miles than that:(

Delta also just changed the names of their levels and, in some cases, changed the redemption rates. Be sure to go back to their website and look at what is there now. The "Standard" rates are what used to be "Medium", "Saver" rates are what used to "Low", and "Peak" are what used to be "High".

Like FTer said, you might want to search on ExpertFlyer to see what is available as FF redemption seats for all the flights you could possibly take. You may have to be creative in your airport choices... Even if you are going to pay the $25 to have a Delta agent do your ticketing, do your due diligence!!! Agents are only supposed to have a limited amount of time per customer and only do 3 ticket searches. Some will do the absolute minimum needed and say "nothing available." Sometimes you will get the gem who will go above the minimum and do extra work to get your flights. When in doubt, hang up and try another agent...

1) Sign up for an ExpertFlyer account and use it to check actual inventory levels for the flights you want. That will tell you if there is only one ticket available.

Like FTer said, you might want to search on ExpertFlyer to see what is available as FF redemption seats for all the flights you could possibly take.

Sorry guys, do you really even use Expert Flyer for Delta awards? Apparently not! EF does not support award inventory for DL. KVS does, but it only finds what you can find yourself.

Again, forget the website for most novices. What you find there, especially using the "award calendar" or "round trip" options, is totally bogus. It takes a lot of work to find "saver" awards on Delta. I usually spend an hour or more when booking an award ticket using DL miles and I know what I am doing!

Sorry guys, do you really even use Expert Flyer for Delta awards? Apparently not! EF does not support award inventory for DL. KVS does, but it only finds what you can find yourself.

MEA CULPA.

I mixed up EF and KVS in my mind.....EF works for upgrade inventory, and KVS is my go-to tool for SkyTeam/SkyPesos redemptions.

Completely agree that the award calendar is FUBAR. Same with the r/t searches. One needs to print out an award chart, then double the values (because of the DL "no-oneway" policy), then search segment by segment by segment applying the doubled-chart to find out if the seats are low, middle or high (or Saver/Standard/Peak per the new nomenclature). When you can find all of your segments at the level you can tolerate, then call DL and have the agent piece it together for you.

For an interesting take on calling DL for award assistance, try this post from Gary Leff's blog: LINK HERE

Again, thanks for the correction.

I would start by using the Alaska Airlines website to check for award availability using their Mileage Plan awards. If AS is showing low level award seats, then 90+% of the time, you can get those with SkyPesos. Your biggest challenge will be getting from DTW to someplace where you can switch over to AS metal. And reverse on the return I would be checking ALL of the cities that AS flies to from SEA.

For example, if you can get from DTW to STL, then you could fly AS from STL to SEA to ANC. And return YVR - SEA - Intermediate City - DTW.

Some possibles - ORD, STL, MCI, OMA, DCA, PHL, BOS, DFW, IAH, AUS, SAT, DEN.

One other consideration....if you can get to PDX, then it's easy to take the Horizon Shuttle (part of AS) up to SEA. Or fly PDX-ANC. The shuttle runs every 30 minutes for much of the day, so there is almost always award availability.

Running a quick search, I find availability from DTW to SEA on the 2nd, leaving on the late afternoon, flying through either MEM or SFO. You'd have a forced overnight and leave SEA to ANC on the morning of the 3rd. This also could be done a day earlier. I did not do a lot of indepth search, so there may be other options available as well.

Play around and see what you find.....

I would start by using the Alaska Airlines website to check for award availability using their Mileage Plan awards. If AS is showing low level award seats, then 90+% of the time, you can get those with SkyPesos. Your biggest challenge will be getting from DTW to someplace where you can switch over to AS metal. And reverse on the return I would be checking ALL of the cities that AS flies to from SEA.

For example, if you can get from DTW to STL, then you could fly AS from STL to SEA to ANC. And return YVR - SEA - Intermediate City - DTW.

Some possibles - ORD, STL, MCI, OMA, DCA, PHL, BOS, DFW, IAH, AUS, SAT, DEN.

One other consideration....if you can get to PDX, then it's easy to take the Horizon Shuttle (part of AS) up to SEA. Or fly PDX-ANC. The shuttle runs every 30 minutes for much of the day, so there is almost always award availability.

Running a quick search, I find availability from DTW to SEA on the 2nd, leaving on the late afternoon, flying through either MEM or SFO. You'd have a forced overnight and leave SEA to ANC on the morning of the 3rd. This also could be done a day earlier. I did not do a lot of indepth search, so there may be other options available as well.

Play around and see what you find.....

This is good advice, but it is really a small snapshot. You must look for "round trip" on alaskaair.com in order for them to even show the Delta flight options. It will also show options with AA, but those are not applicable. You can try to "force" options by checking as Flyer Talker said for options via STL, etc. Don't forget to include the ORD-ANC non-stop flight. Sometimes you have to buy a flight from DTW to the Alaska Air city then use your DL miles from there. If you just check "one way" you have to check only from cities that Alaska Air flies from. Then try to piece something together from DTW to that city. That is another way to try to go about searching for seats.

Also, once you find the option(s) you like that are available, you might be able to book on delta.com using the "multi city" option but most likely it will require a call to book and that means $25/person service fee. Still a great deal in the long run but using delta.com for anyone but those well-versed in Delta's antics is "proceed at your own risk"!

You must look for "round trip" on alaskaair.com in order for them to even show the Delta flight options.
DL options show even for a one way request. However, it prices them at double (per DL policy). So, if you find a segment with DL metal for 25k one-way, that's a "saver" award with DL.
It will also show options with AA, but those are not applicable.
True....many a time I've had the initial flush of success, then saw the AA logo.
If you just check "one way" you have to check only from cities that Alaska Air flies from. Then try to piece something together from DTW to that city. That is another way to try to go about searching for seats.
Interestingly, one-way flights are showing from DTW for AS awards. Those SFO and MEM routings came up this morning on the AS site!!
Still a great deal in the long run but using delta.com for anyone but those well-versed in Delta's antics is "proceed at your own risk"!
The main risk of using delta.com alone is that you will miss many viable options. However, if you are lucky enough to actually find what you want there (which is odds against), then just grab and go.

2) Try searching for both one and two tickets and three on the DL website. If you get two or three for the same price (and that's the low price of the three), then call up DL and grab the seats. The agent can grab them, then take the miles for each out of your respective accounts. The phone fee will be less than the redeposit fee if you get a glitch in the booking and have to cancel out an award ticket.

One small clarification... if you do happen to find what you're looking for on the DL site, you really only need to call IF you are pulling miles from two separate Skymiles accounts. If one of you is the frequent flyer and has enough miles in one account for both tickets, you can book it online just as easily, and save the $25 booking fee.

One small clarification... if you do happen to find what you're looking for on the DL site, you really only need to call IF you are pulling miles from two separate Skymiles accounts.

The OP posted this in post #1: "My husband an I each have enough Delta skymiles to get airfare for a cruise in July" -- thus, I'm assuming it's in two separate accounts.

But then again, it's the Cruise Air forum game of "Let's make assumptions to fill in the details!" With great prizes and lots of fun!! ;)

Please know....NOT wasting time.

Among the "regulars", there's some back and forth trying to fill in the blanks when it's not completely clear. It is NOT a slam when the poster lets us know what's happening. But when we get COMPLETELY vague questions.....such as the recent "What's the best airline to take?"

Your inquiry was not in the vague category. And it brought up some good issues for discussion. Most importantly, it showed that even small details can matter in the big picture -- which is not something that most perceive. It's about education, for all of us.

The OP posted this in post #1: "My husband an I each have enough Delta skymiles to get airfare for a cruise in July" -- thus, I'm assuming it's in two separate accounts.

But then again, it's the Cruise Air forum game of "Let's make assumptions to fill in the details!" With great prizes and lots of fun!! ;)

My bad, I overlooked the "each" in the OP. Hopefully the clarification still helped someone out there realize that if the miles ARE coming from one account, it's just as easy to book online. :)

No unfortunately we each have our own miles and accounts. It would be really easy if it were one. I am going to just call Delta and pay the fee and waiver on the safe side.

You can still call and ask for availability but then book online. Or just start online too if you want. I don't see any reason to not book online if it is a simple round trip and if the website gives you the flights you need.

Just book one when logged into the first account. Then log out, log into the second account and book the second. The phone agent would basically do the same thing anyway. If for some reason after booking the first person you find that there are no more seats available, you can cancel for no charge within 24 hours of the initial booking.

But if you are not comfortable using Delta's fairly tedious website, you can just call as you suggested. The phone fee is per person, even if all the miles were to be pulled from the same account.

You can still call and ask for availability but then book online. Or just start online too if you want. I don't see any reason to not book online if it is a simple round trip and if the website gives you the flights you need.

Just book one when logged into the first account. Then log out, log into the second account and book the second. The phone agent would basically do the same thing anyway. If for some reason after booking the first person you find that there are no more seats available, you can cancel for no charge within 24 hours of the initial booking.

But if you are not comfortable using Delta's fairly tedious website, you can just call as you suggested. The phone fee is per person, even if all the miles were to be pulled from the same account.

Thank you so much for your help. I didn't know I could cancel them within 24 hours. It is not as simple as say a round trip to Florida. I need to book as a multi-city. We need to fly into one airport and then fly out of another. Do you stll feel it is still pretty cut and dry?

If you really want to be in control, use two different browsers. Say you use Firefox and log in as yourself, then bring up Chrome and log in for your husband. Do the searches, working back and forth between the two. Finally, when you get to the end, click purchase on one, then switch to the other browser and click purchase there. Nothing prevents two browser programs operating simultaneously other than the overall bandwidth into your machine (which shouldn't be a problem - not like you are streaming HD movies to each!)

If you really want to be in control, use two different browsers. Say you use Firefox and log in as yourself, then bring up Chrome and log in for your husband. Do the searches, working back and forth between the two. Finally, when you get to the end, click purchase on one, then switch to the other browser and click purchase there. Nothing prevents two browser programs operating simultaneously other than the overall bandwidth into your machine (which shouldn't be a problem - not like you are streaming HD movies to each!)

I had thought about doing that! I don't know why I am so nervous about doing this it's nuts! I guess it's the unknown. I never use a TA for anything and this just is giving me anxiety!

Thank you so much for your help. I didn't know I could cancel them within 24 hours. It is not as simple as say a round trip to Florida. I need to book as a multi-city. We need to fly into one airport and then fly out of another. Do you stll feel it is still pretty cut and dry?

Multi city is simple to book. On the initial booking page you select either one way, round trip or multi city. It only adds a few seconds of effort to type in the separate city pairs. Very easy. And yes, you have 24 hours to cancel without penalty.

One tip though, when booking multi city: If you search and various flight options come up, and for whatever reason you hit "back" to refine your search, be aware that the DL website has a tendency to default back to round trip. I was booking a trip a few years ago and didn't catch that. I went back to refine the search, it defaulted back to roundtrip, and when the new choices came up I was only looking at dates and times and completelky overlooked the fact the it had reverted to round trip in and out of FCO, rather than into FCO and out of VCE. Didn't catch it til months later. Luckily my medallion status combined with a very kind phone agent got the change fee waived.

Archived