Celebrity Century: egg crate question & more...

mikjr

we leave Monday on the Century. It's been about 4 or 5 years since we cruised Celebrity. We have been on Princess.

A couple of quick questions about the cabin.

When we board Princess, the first thing we ask for is an egg crate pad on the mattress.

I can't remember... does Celebrity have the same thing? or do we even need a mattress pad?

I like a very firm pillow... is that available?

Do they offer a special discount on Internet Service the first day??

Princess has a coffee card for premium coffees... is that available on Century? I see the Century has a coffee bar... do they also offer Deli type items (sandwiches, salads, pastry)??

thanks...

When we board Princess, the first thing we ask for is an egg crate pad on the mattress. I can't remember... does Celebrity have the same thing? or do we even need a mattress pad?

Hard to predict. some like the mattresses, some don't. But they do have egg crates. You could try it for one night and if you need one, ask for one the next day.

I like a very firm pillow... is that available?

Probably. Again, you may find that the pillows on the beds as you board are fine.

Do they offer a special discount on Internet Service the first day??

Sometimes, but not on all cruises. Head to the Internet lounge once you board and ask.

Princess has a coffee card for premium coffees... is that available on Century? I see the Century has a coffee bar... do they also offer Deli type items (sandwiches, salads, pastry)??

No coffee card. Delicious pastries, at no extra charge. No salads. There used to be finger sandwiches at some times of day, but that seems to be in transition and now recent reports are that there are only pastries.

We have never needed an egg crate mattress topper for any of our Celebrity cruises, unlike on other lines. But you can request one if required.

You might be interested in the Classic non alcoholic package. It includes specialty coffee's plus more- water, fresh juices etc.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic&ComponentTypeId=30&categoryId=&currencyCode=USD

See the menu below for the special treats at Cafe al Bacie. They change during the day

Cafe al Bacio http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/level3Type1.do?pagename=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes_cafe_al_bacio&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes

As far as the firm pillow, check with your room steward

See the menu below for the special treats at Cafe al Bacie. They change during the day

Cafe al Bacio http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/level3Type1.do?pagename=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes_cafe_al_bacio&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes

thanks for the info. unfortunately... I checked the Cafe al Basie link and it appears the Century does not have a Cafe al Bacie.

Does the Century have any kind of Espresso/Latte bar?

thanks for the info. unfortunately... I checked the Cafe al Basie link and it appears the Century does not have a Cafe al Bacie.

Does the Century have any kind of Espresso/Latte bar?

Hi,:) it is not called "Cafe Al Bacio" on Century but they definitely

have the same type of venue. It used to be called "TASTINGS" and

it has coffees, teas, pastries, etc....and you can also get adult

beverages there as well. I think it is on deck 5...can't remember for

sure but I promise, they have it:D it is mid ship.

I hope that you enjoy your cruise on Century, as much as we did. I am really picky about the mattress and I slept well on the one in my cabin. Depending on your cabin selection, there's a pillow menu available. Don't miss the Brunch in the main dining room. Ask your waiter what day that they will have it and get there early for seating and time to enjoy it. If you consume a few drinks daily and drink specialty coffee, the drink package might be your best choice. They also have Premium Non-Alcoholic packages that that will include specialty coffees, smoothies,etc.

Coffee on deck 6....correction to my previous post.....deck 5 is cabins;)

Originally it was called "COVA CAFE".....they changed the name to

"Tastings" and it is on deck 6 mid ship.

Coffee on deck 6....correction to my previous post.....deck 5 is cabins;)

Originally it was called "COVA CAFE".....they changed the name to

"Tastings" and it is on deck 6 mid ship.

As far as I can see from deck plans, etc., it is still called "Cova Cafe" and yes, it is on deck 6.

When I saw the title of the thread, I knew that you were primarily Princess cruisers as Princess has both (1) notoriously hard mattresses; and (2) bad coffee.

Regarding the mattresses. You won't see "egg crate" threads on the X boards except for Princess refugees. The consensus is that they are unneeded because the bedding is pretty good as is. That said, they are available. There is also, allegedly, a pillow menu in concieriege class. My guess is that your room steward can arrange a different pillow for you if the one in the stateroom is not to your liking.

Regarding the Coffee Card. Nope. It's not available on Celebrity. A couple of things, Celebrity's regular coffee is brewed coffee; it does not serve the syrup stuff like Princess at all. I'm not saying that there aren't complaints, but the noise level is way less than on Princess about it. In other words, the consensus is that it's better than Princess. Premium coffees are espresso based drinks like latte's etc. They're included in the drinks packages -- even at the classic level -- if you have one or are considering one.

Food Questions. I think that you'll generally find the buffet at breakfast and lunch to be better on Celebrity than on Princess -- with more variety during the week and more space per passenger overall. I haven't been on the Century but Deli sandwiches and salads are available on the M-Class and S-Class ships so I assume that they are on Century as well. Dinner in the buffet, however, is not the mini-version of the MDR like it is on Princess. It'll have pizza, pasta, a carving station, sushi, and a few other items. But, at dinner you can also order off the MDR menu from room service.

Other differences that you might enjoy include:

- Wider availability of Free Ice Cream. It's available from about 11 am until well in to the evening in the buffet, in the MDR, and from room service. It's made on board and very good.

- More Room in the Main Theater. You'll be able to find a seat without having to worry too much about it. You won't see threads about Theater crowding here like on the Princess boards.

There might be things that you miss as well from Princess but there are

As far as I can see from deck plans' date=' etc., it is still called "Cova Cafe" and yes, it is on deck 6.[/quote']

Hi,:) they never changed it on the internet......last time I sailed her was

May 2011 and the sign on the marquis said "TASTINGS" (on the ship).

They never updated the website:rolleyes:....no surprise there.

Hi,:) they never changed it on the internet......last time I sailed her was

May 2011 and the sign on the marquis said "TASTINGS" (on the ship).

They never updated the website:rolleyes:....no surprise there.

I'll verify in 4 days! :D

Archived