Pier to Vancouver Airport.

5fathom

Already checking into air for Alaska in 14. We will fly Vancouver - Detroit after the cruise. We see two flights, one at 11:45am and another at 12:45am. Not being familiar with the YVR airport or transit time pier to airport ate these flights too early ?

The 1145 will work if you self-disembark with all of your luggage or can get an early disembarkation time. If not then I would go with the 1245 flight. YVR from the Canada Place cruise terminal is 35 mins no matter if you go by cab, Canada Line or limo. However, in your planning it is recommended that you be at YVR a full 2 hours before your flight.

1245 am or pm?

Are they the same price? Either would work- IF you make an effort to get to the airport with a 2 hour window. Can be done by self disembarking- and taking skytrain. Can have NO mobility limitations, but extremely efficient. :)

Also not Zimbabwe $ just to clarify:D

Just to clarify the CAD and the USD have been at par or within 3 cents of one another for about 10 years now....so the USD will likely be accepted at par by the cabbie. However, if you use the Canada Line our transit system is not quite a obliging, the fare must be paid in CAD or by credit card or debit card and the fees may be greater than the cost of the fare.:eek:

We used the Princess bus to the airport. They ask what time your flight is and schedule you for the appropriate bus. We told them the correct time. We got our pass to the bus. We boarded the last morning. The bus driver asked the full busload if we wanted a tour of the city. Thankfully we all said No. When we got to the airport we had to go to an area and find and claim our luggage, then go to the airline counter and check in and get boarding passes. Then we went through Canadian customs, then US customs, then airport security. We had to run through the airport, dragging our carry-ons. My husband ran in his socks as he didn't have time to put his shoes back on. Our plane was almost done boarding when we got to the gate. A lovely way to end our 15 day cruise tour. Go to the airport earlier than you think. We were also flying from Vancouver to Detroit.

In terms of riding the Canada line to the airport and using a credit card, if your credit card company charges a foreign transaction fee, it is usually just 3%. When we were there in September we broke even--the US $ was worth a bit more than the Canadian $ so that made up for the foreign transaction fee. Even if it doesn't, we're not talking about much--fare is $2.75 on weekends, $1.75 for seniors ($5.50 and $3.75 other times). Canada Line trains run frequently and the station is very close to the pier.

We used the Princess bus to the airport. They ask what time your flight is and schedule you for the appropriate bus. We told them the correct time. We got our pass to the bus. We boarded the last morning. The bus driver asked the full busload if we wanted a tour of the city. Thankfully we all said No. When we got to the airport we had to go to an area and find and claim our luggage, then go to the airline counter and check in and get boarding passes. Then we went through Canadian customs, then US customs, then airport security. We had to run through the airport, dragging our carry-ons. My husband ran in his socks as he didn't have time to put his shoes back on. Our plane was almost done boarding when we got to the gate. A lovely way to end our 15 day cruise tour. Go to the airport earlier than you think. We were also flying from Vancouver to Detroit.

With all due respect to this poster you do not clear Canadian customs at YVR when disembarking in Vancouver, that is done at Canada Place when you arrive from Alaska. At YVR you do need to clear security like at all airports and you clear US customs. Historically there have been lines at YVR for US bound passengers and everyone's experience is different. I am happy to say that this year's lines where reduced dramatically as a result of passport scanning kiosks being installed at YVR, this was a co-operative effort on the part of YVR and CBP officials.

Already checking into air for Alaska in 14. We will fly Vancouver - Detroit after the cruise. We see two flights, one at 11:45am and another at 12:45am. Not being familiar with the YVR airport or transit time pier to airport ate these flights too early ?

I am also flying from Vancouver to Detroit and so I called Princess to find out what the earliest flight they recommend doing. I was told 12:00 noon so I booked the 12:45 flight and will leave the ship as early as possible and grab a cab.

My point, Putterdude, was that there is a fairly long process before you get to the airplane- we had the bus ride, the luggage search at the airport, checking in at the airline counter, 2 very long lines, security, customs, whatever....it took us 3 hours before we were in the line where you take off your shoes and then the run to get to your gate.

Archived