Dress Code Question

Huxley'sCruisers

We cruised the Celebrity Meridian and the Horizon in the early 90's and they had several theme nights (western, Caribbean, 50's) that included the entertainment for that evening, food in each venue, drinks, etc...lots of fun. They had formal nights, too, but the theme nights seemed to be enjoyed by more people. Of course, there were really no luggage restrictions then and we packed one large suitcase with nothing but formal and theme night clothing. And I'm happy to now be packing/lugging less...formal nights are no longer a priority. ~~Judy

Should also be noted that back then you either dressed up to the dress code for the evening or you didn't eat. No specialties, no buffet, limited room service.

First of all, kudos for going with your parents on a cruise while they can enjoy it!

We took my parents to Alaska on what turned out to be their last major trip possible, and it was a memory all concerned cherished and talked about for years.

Cruise lines understand that much older cruisers may still want to wear dresses, suits and fancy footwear, but a lot of people just can't do that comfortably/or at all.

My Dad wore a cashmere sweater under a nice sport coat, with dress slacks, a belt and leather slip-ons. My Mom wore pants, a nice blouse, a pretty scarf and some jewelry with black orthopedic shoes. We dressed up, 'cause we like to, and my parents enjoyed seeing us all turned out.

NO ONE ... not a single server or other diner ever gave us any sign of anything other than warm support and approval for our little party on formal night, even though both parents worried (NEEDLESSLY) about it until we got to the dining room. After that they just enjoyed the experience -- and I hope yours will do the same!

Happycat BI

We will be traveling in Italy after our transatlantic and have no intention of dragging formal clothes around with us. The suitcase is heavy enough without all the extras we will not be wearing when off ship.

So we will wear nice clothes to formal nights, which by the way I could certainly live without, but we will not be "formal". We are on a much needed vacation and dressing in formal wear does not really coincide with our plans. We have always conformed to these rules on other cruises but on this one we won't be. Oh the horror! :eek: Live and let live!

We will be traveling in Italy after our transatlantic and have no intention of dragging formal clothes around with us. The suitcase is heavy enough without all the extras we will not be wearing when off ship.

So we will wear nice clothes to formal nights...

Can't take as much luggage as we use to so on formal nights I wear a black blazer with dark grey pants and a tie. Not only have I done this on Celebrity; I have also worn this on Silversea. I have never felt the least bit uncomfortable or inappropriate. On less formal nights, I sometimes wear the blazer with lighter pants and no tie. Very versatile!

I'm sorry, but the ship's tourist police will come down on you, like a ton of bricks, or a ton of dinner suits? ....if you don't dress up.

Well we are like most of you, we like to be comfortable in what we wear, we like to dress in smart casual clothing.

I think the dinner suits for men went out "light years ago" didn't they.

Well, if I have to wear a dinner suit on the Celebrity Millenium, I will pack in my suitcase between all the board shorts & hawaiian shirts.

Hey guys, its nice to have a joke here on this chatboard. Honestly, I don't feel offended if other people wear formal wear on the ship, and we are happy to dine elsewhere if our smart casual dress offended anyone in that dining room on that particular night.

One of the nicest places I have spent on a cruise ship, was late afternoon/early evening on the rear deck on a Princess liner, having a few beers & wines with DW, and gazing out over the ocean. Those "special times" mean a lot to us.

Have a nice day, wherever you are, and don't forget to tell your DH or DW how special they are!

But you will not be turned away because your sport coat is not

a "dinner jacket".

I tend to agree but notably have NOT yet travelled on Celebrity. On every one of our previous cruises my DH has showed up on formal night with a blazer/tie and pants. This cruise will be no different except he may ditch the tie all together or we may eat in our room, who knows, we will see in March.

By the way, if you are one of the poor souls who is turned away from the MDR on formal night or given the option of borrowing a 'dinner jacket', what do they give you? Is it the top half of a tuxedo or is it what is commonly refered to as a blazer? Just curious.

Edited by petersonwith3
spelling

First of all, kudos for going with your parents on a cruise while they can enjoy it!

We took my parents to Alaska on what turned out to be their last major trip possible, and it was a memory all concerned cherished and talked about for years.

Cruise lines understand that much older cruisers may still want to wear dresses, suits and fancy footwear, but a lot of people just can't do that comfortably/or at all.

My Dad wore a cashmere sweater under a nice sport coat, with dress slacks, a belt and leather slip-ons. My Mom wore pants, a nice blouse, a pretty scarf and some jewelry with black orthopedic shoes. We dressed up, 'cause we like to, and my parents enjoyed seeing us all turned out.

NO ONE ... not a single server or other diner ever gave us any sign of anything other than warm support and approval for our little party on formal night, even though both parents worried (NEEDLESSLY) about it until we got to the dining room. After that they just enjoyed the experience -- and I hope yours will do the same!

Happycat BI

Very nicely said

So jeans are not specifically mentioned in the dress code (yes or no). I know some of you would not be caught dead wearing jeans in the MDR, but my question is will I be allowed in the MDR in them (on a non-formal night). I've sailed most other major cruise lines and not had a problem wearing jeans. They would be nice, un-ripped jeans and I'd wear a nice long sleeved collared shirt with dress shoes. Thank you!!

So jeans are not specifically mentioned in the dress code (yes or no). I know some of you would not be caught dead wearing jeans in the MDR, but my question is will I be allowed in the MDR in them (on a non-formal night). I've sailed most other major cruise lines and not had a problem wearing jeans. They would be nice, un-ripped jeans and I'd wear a nice long sleeved collared shirt with dress shoes. Thank you!!

Jeans were a prohibited item in the dress code until early 2012 at which time they were removed....Since then they have allowed. You will be allowed in the dining room with them.

Jeans are no longer explicitly mentioned in the dress code. Celebrity just uses the generic term "pants" which obviously includes jeans (although the caveat about rips and tears still exists).

Jeans are most definitely allowed in the MDR. You don't even need a long sleeve shirt or dress shoes - polo shirt and joggers would be sufficient.

Despite the impressions that some may give Celebrity is really not all that different from other lines. Just relax and use common sense.

Edited by gek

I agree, lets go with the new modern way of dressing. We have changed our ideas, dress, etc, over the years.

I have no objection to what is worn in MDR in the evening, provided it is not shorts, swimwear, etc. I have no objection to smart casual wear, or if someone wants to wear a suit, so be it, as they say, "each to their own"

I think Cruise Line companies realise this, and are changing with the times.

P.S. They want to keep their customers coming back.

As I said I keep my dark suit, for weddings & funerals, that's all,....not for lugging half way around the world to wear in a Dining Room twice on a cruise.

Yes!

That is the written dress code but reality sometimes is different. No one will be turned away with a sport jacket.

Also, I have never seen them enforce no sleeves for breakfast. The cruise line is aware that people are getting up and going out for the day, often off of the ship. I personally have entered the MDR in the morning as well as blu with T-Shirts and then went immediately off the ship. I was not alone.

T-shirts have sleeves.

If not, they would be called I-shirts. :p:cool:

Possibly on formal night, they may give you a jacket to wear or you could be turned away. I certainly would not take the chance. Depends on who is at the door.

That would be a first, seeing them handing out jackets.

Never seen that done on a cruise.

Years back, when I was young, one time my DF (who was well dressed) forgot his " dinner jacket". The restaurant seater explained the jacket rule and offered him a loaner... He handed my DF this hideous old green thing. Doubt it was ever washed. :rolleyes: Never will forget it.

One cruise I happened to be assigned the table closest to the entry door and watched as men were handed jackets which were conveniently hung on a clothes tree just inside the entrance but out of the way. Some sheepishly took the jacket and walked on into the dining room, some refused and left. Also saw men in shorts turned away. It was a most interesting place to sit.

The dress code is unevenly enforced, but men need to be aware that it is possible that they won't be allowed into the dining room on formal nights without a jacket.

( By the way, appropriate dress for ladies might also be an issue. One night a scantily clad woman was also asked to cover up with a shawl or sweater. She was, as they say, nearly falling out of her dress. (Also nearly falling down from too much drink). She waited at an empty table nearby just inside the door while her companion left and returned a few minutes later with a beautiful Spanish shawl for her. )

I have a pair of black dress jeans, and you would be hard pressed to differ between suit trouser or dress jeans. They look smart, and with a smart designer shirt, I think it looks special. Well, that's what my wife said on the last Princess Cruise, when I wore them to the Dining Room on the formal night.

I was not challenged by the staff, and other cruisers on the dining room table thought my gear was very smart for the evening.

My dining friends that night were dressed in dinner suits, with ties or bow ties.

The ladies had formal type dresses on, which to me looked like something out of the 1920's - sorry to say that, but, that's how it looked like to us.

I guess each generation dressed the way, that they have been "used to", eg. formal wear, smart casual, normal suits, etc.

What's that saying, "let each person march to the drum that he hears"