Transatlantics and Repositioning Cruises

Starry Nights

We've been trying to book a Transatlantic on the Reflection for April 2014. The prices are two-and-a-half times what they were on the Silhouette last year. The transatlantic and repositioning cruises are not eligible for any of the perks or special promotions, and the OBC that you can get for using your Open Passages certificates is half of what we got on the Silhouette last year.

There have been big price drops on the transatlantic cruises for this fall, and I'm guessing that will happen after Final Payment for the spring transatlantics as well. But this just has me steamed. We fly on points and like to book ahead, so only providing decent pricing if you book after Final Payment just seems disrespectful to Celebrity transatlantic cruisers, compared to the terms for other cruises. It feels to me like the new strategy for pricing Transatlantics and repositioning cruises is very cynical, and for the first time in 10 years, we are looking at other cruise lines.

Why are transatlantics and repositioning cruises being singled out in this way by Celebrity?

My experience with these cruises has been mainly with RC, but some on X.

My suggestion is to watch for the initial offering on these cruises, and book immediately. Not only do you get a great cabin choice, but the fare is often less than half of the eventual maximum, before those after-final-payment bargains.

Cruise lines use the pricing policies that work for them, and not much you can do.

My experience with these cruises has been mainly with RC, but some on X.

My suggestion is to watch for the initial offering on these cruises, and book immediately. Not only do you get a great cabin choice, but the fare is often less than half of the eventual maximum, before those after-final-payment bargains.

Cruise lines use the pricing policies that work for them, and not much you can do.

We usually book when the itineraries are announced, but this year the pricing was crazy compared to other years.

I know that the new management at Celebrity thinks that their cruises are underpriced and this year the prices are higher across the board, but the 123GO promotions and PYOP offer has helped to offset the rise in prices. Howver, none of these perks are available for the transatlantic and repositioning cruises. Compared to other itineraries, the spring transatlantics are really poor value.

I know of four couples who booked Aquaclass cabins on the 2014 Reflection spring transatlantic early last spring, to get the locations they want. The prices were twice what they booked for their transatlantic the year before. If prices don't drop, they are going to cancel at final payment, as they have no intention of sailing on a transatlantic at these prices, with no benefits. If this happens to a few more cabins in their category at final payment, then there will be a price drop for sure. I've been watching the inventory on transatlantics this fall, and it seems this is exactly what is happening.

This is not the way I like to book cruises, and is not the way Celebrity has handled things in the past, which I've always felt was fair. I like to make a booking and follow through with the cruise. And I don't want to book a transatlantic 6 weeks out, in order to get a fair price.

I'm just annoyed that Celebrity is playing this game and it is affecting my loyalty to this brand.

We were booked on a November Reflection cruise (had to cancel since dad's cancer surgery) and that cruise, a week before Thanksgiving, is way more expensive than even the week of Thanksgiving. The price differences go anywhere from $800 to $1800 more depending on cabin type. Makes no sense to me either.

We are currently booked on three repositioning cruises [from this November to May 2015] and, for the categories we are booked on and the other categories we are wathing, prices have only gone up. No sign of any reduction. That includes the two cruises booked this year. You cannot always assume that prices will fall.

Sue

PS We always book as soon as cruises are released. Perhaps you are looking too late to get the best prices and/or your price expectations are unreasonable?

I know of four couples who booked Aquaclass cabins on the 2014 Reflection spring transatlantic early last spring, to get the locations they want. The prices were twice what they booked for their transatlantic the year before. If prices don't drop, they are going to cancel at final payment, as they have no intention of sailing on a transatlantic at these prices, with no benefits.

One method Princess has used to address the penchant some folks have of dropping cruises -- either to rebook at a lower rate or at final payment because the cost is too high-- is to make the deposits, on certain special pricing, non-refundable. If too many folks begin booking and then dropping the cruise, it won't be long before Celebrity will adopt this approach also.

It seems to me that people have choices. Book the cruise you want early to get the cabin you want or wait and book when the price is what you think is reasonable to pay. But to book the cabin you want with no intention of sailing at that price seems selfish and irresponsible. Doing so makes it possible for the cruise line to maintain the higher prices longer than it might otherwise have done so -- if the cruise was not selling.

But then again, if people think they are entitled and want to game the system, that's the way the cookie crumbles--until there is no more cookie and everyone is upset as the cruise lines change strategies to address those who take advantage.

Starry Nights. If your friends booked Aqua Class in cat A2 I don't think that it looks good for a price drop as that category is sold out. It's a great itinerary, actually very good for a TA, and from what I can see there are a number of categories sold out so I think the ship is selling well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree with the OP. I booked this past April's Silhouette TA in December, before final payment and got a great price. When on board (and even before) I looked at the prices for the 2014 April Reflection they were much, much higher. I think it is no longer a lower price at first opening. Or, rather, the price may in fact go up after the initial booking is released....but I do believe the price will come back down. Personally, I'd rather book way ahead and have it to look forward to....but times change and now I need to spend my time monitoring the fluctuating price and wait for the time to pounce.

I agree with the OP. I booked this past April's Silhouette TA in December, before final payment and got a great price. When on board (and even before) I looked at the prices for the 2014 April Reflection they were much, much higher. I think it is no longer a lower price at first opening. Or, rather, the price may in fact go up after the initial booking is released....but I do believe the price will come back down. Personally, I'd rather book way ahead and have it to look forward to....but times change and now I need to spend my time monitoring the fluctuating price and wait for the time to pounce.

Perhaps for the cruise you are watching but on the ones we booked it is likely to be wishful thinking looking at how well the cruises are selling.

As others have brought up the subject of deposits/cancelling: Personally, I think the abiltiy of the American market to book rooms they have little intention of sailing in because they do not loose the deposit looks unfair in those markets where the deposit is lost if you cancel. It distorts the market and must make running a profitable cruise line extremely difficult. Make all deposits non-refundable and, I guess this will not be popular, make them much larger so that people only make serious bookings. Then everyone knows where they stand and can make their decisions accordingly.

Sue

We booked the April TA in a 1a just a few weeks ago on the Reflection and in just the last week and a half the price has gone up twice! They raised it $100 each the first time and yesterday I was surprised to see they raised it another $100 each so I am happy we got in when we did. Some of the lower priced cabins remained unchanged but the balcony cabins in all catagories went up. Maybe they will lower the price nearer to sailing time but we wanted a specific area of the ship since we are going across the Atlantic and the seas could be choppy(or not) so wanted a mid ship cabin. And personally I don't think it's fair play to other cruisers to grab cabins with the intention of canceling if the price doesn't drop to your liking. And besides the itinerary is terrific, for us better than any other TA being offered by other lines. It is 16 nights and going to Italy with great port stops in between.

We've been trying to book a Transatlantic on the Reflection for April 2014. The prices are two-and-a-half times what they were on the Silhouette last year. The transatlantic and repositioning cruises are not eligible for any of the perks or special promotions, and the OBC that you can get for using your Open Passages certificates is half of what we got on the Silhouette last year.

There have been big price drops on the transatlantic cruises for this fall, and I'm guessing that will happen after Final Payment for the spring transatlantics as well. But this just has me steamed. We fly on points and like to book ahead, so only providing decent pricing if you book after Final Payment just seems disrespectful to Celebrity transatlantic cruisers, compared to the terms for other cruises. It feels to me like the new strategy for pricing Transatlantics and repositioning cruises is very cynical, and for the first time in 10 years, we are looking at other cruise lines.

Why are transatlantics and repositioning cruises being singled out in this way by Celebrity?

Perhaps because they are now popular and don't require discounting? We have benefitted many times over the years by the discounting, but it isn't something the cruise line OWES us.

And pricing isn't done for the convenience of frequent flier programs...

We feel we've had a good run...15 TA's, and if this is the new reality, so be it. We'll make our choices based on what we feel comfortable spending, and if that includes a crossing, great! If not, onto other adventures. :)

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I always book about a year out. But, I think that I will change that thinking for Transatlantic. I only want a no thrills balcony so I don't really care about any particular cabin.

I am booked on the Nov. TA of the Reflection.I noticed that just after final payment, prices dropped greatly. So next time I'm going to book after final payment for TAs only.

For other cruises, eg Caribbean, I will continue to book way ahead because I am particular about my balcony. There is something about having a lovely balcony to read or sunbathe on when in the lovely warm Caribbean sunshine.:)

I a newbie to cruising so I don't really have much experience. I booked this cruise about 5 weeks ago and am really happy with the price we paid. We have an A2 room, at a location I am happy with for under $100 (is it PC to talk about price, not sure since I am new to the forum) per day and gratuities kicked in by the travel agent. Is this a bad deal?!? :confused:

I guess part of being happy is perceived value. I look at this cruise as a repositioning + a western med cruise tacked on...really the itinerary is wonderful. The prices for the just a 7 day western med cruises that I have looked at are priced higher than this TA. So, I've decided I'm not going to worry about the ups and downs of the prices because it would drive me crazy. At this point I'm happy to be booked on this fabulous cruise. :D

Unfortunately we find the prices for transatlantic crossings with Celebrity too high. For solo passengers makes sense to look for alternatives because many lines have reduced solo suplement rates. In our case we look in advance the prices at several cruiselines, including "luxury" ones. If we find that the price meets our expectations, we will book with that cruiseline. We like Celebrity a lot but there are others who are very good also. It is important for us to receive good value for money and not just to book at any price.

We have done a few TAs with Celebrity, but lately find that Princess has much better pricing. Since we are "equal opportunity cruisers" we simply book whoever has the best deal around the time we want to cross. For next spring it was the Ruby Princess where we could get a nice large Caribe Deck balcony for under $100 a day.

Hank

We too will be on this TA, on November first. We booked the ticket a very long time ago, thru our preferred internet travel agent, and we got a real good deal on a aqua room. This is our second TA, and we just love it.

Hank, thanks for the Princess info. We found that the price increase for next April's TA was as much as we will pay. Formerly were a good deal, but with the thrust of raising prices with Mr Bailey, we need to look elsewhere if we are going to continue.

My point is that Celebrity is charging MUCH more for Transatlantics in 2014 but IS NOT offering the perks that are available for other itineraries.

We sailed on the Silhouette transatlantic last spring and purchased well before Final Payment but this year the price is almost 2-and-a-half times what we paid last year, so that is a bit of a jolt, but Celebrity can charge what they like and the market will respond with their wallets. Everyone understands that.

However, there is no off-setting Pick Your Own Perk promotion for the transatlantic and repositioning cruises, as there is for almost every other itinerary. And whereas we got $300 OBC for using our Open Passages Certificate last spring, this time the OBC is $50 for a 16-night cruise. If the 16-night itinerary was anything BUT a transatlantic or repositioning cruise, the OBC would be FOUR TIMES that amount.

The combination of these factors has taken the transatlantic from a good value to a poor value, comparatively speaking, and I am just wondering why the transatlantics and repositioning cruises have been singled out in this way.

I a newbie to cruising so I don't really have much experience. (is it PC to talk about price, not sure since I am new to the forum)

I guess part of being happy is perceived value. So, I've decided I'm not going to worry about the ups and downs of the prices because it would drive me crazy. At this point I'm happy to be booked on this fabulous cruise. :D

The vast majority of people won't talk about the price they paid for a cruise so they can convince themselves they got a good deal, regardless of how much they spent.

You can almost always find a 13 to 15 night Celebrity transatlantic for $599pp to $699pp if you wait to book till 4-10 weeks out. (sometimes even $499pp)

Right now you can get the November 1st Reflection T/A for $639pp with $375 OBC

or the December 1st Silhouette T/A for $699 with $350 OBC.

Using choice air negates high airfares when booking late. (example is $525 to Rome or $450 to Istanbul)

The perfect example right now is a B2B cruise November 12th on Celebrity Constellation from Istanbul to Florida. 27 nights for $1098pp!!! On top of that insanely low price, you can get $450 shareholder OBC, and another $175 OBC from the internet site.

Perhaps for the cruise you are watching but on the ones we booked it is likely to be wishful thinking looking at how well the cruises are selling.

As others have brought up the subject of deposits/cancelling: Personally, I think the abiltiy of the American market to book rooms they have little intention of sailing in because they do not loose the deposit looks unfair in those markets where the deposit is lost if you cancel. It distorts the market and must make running a profitable cruise line extremely difficult. Make all deposits non-refundable and, I guess this will not be popular, make them much larger so that people only make serious bookings. Then everyone knows where they stand and can make their decisions accordingly.

Sue

What is distorting the market is launching cruises at inflated prices because you think your product should be selling for more, and then having to make massive cuts at final payment to fill your cabins. Have you noticed how many people are posting that they are now waiting until after final payment to book? Celebrity is creating a whole new model with respect to how they are pricing their product, and this is changing how experienced cruisers are approaching the booking process. And this new model is not a better model with respect to inventory management.

The friends that I referred to do not book cruises they have no intention of sailing, but the pricing on this transatlantic seemed like an aberration to them. As there is often a price correction before final payment, they felt that the best thing to do was book the cruise so that they could get the Aquaclass locations that they wanted, and hope that either the pricing would come back into line, or that an off-setting perk would be offered that they could access. (We have always tried to book early, and as far as Aquaclass is concerned; there are a LOT of AQ locations I would NOT want to be in, especially on a transatlantic.) Based on transatlantic cruising history to date, a price correction or an off-setting perk are not unrealistic expectations when prices start out too high.

The outcome of this game that Celebrity is playing with the transatlantic pricing is on their shoulders. My friends wanted to book the transatlantic and would have been fine with a reasonable price increase, but were challenged as to what was the best thing to do in this circumstance. These are experienced Celebrity cruisers and feel that they are in uncharted territory with this cruise.

People have expectations based on previous pricing history, and there is no way to know how many people are holding Aquaclass cabins with the same mindset as my friends. Only time will tell what will happen with the price on this cruise.

If the rooms are selling without the perks or obc why offer them

If the rooms do not sell there will be a perk

There is no way to know at this time whether people have booked with the same rationale as my friends, or not. It will be interesting to see what happens as Final Payment date approaches.

I am not talking about people who are looking for fire-sale prices. I am talking about people who know the cruise market really well, and know when pricing is relatively out-of-whack.

In the meantime, we have given up this game, and have booked on Oceania. Seriously better value.

Archived