Train from Termini Station, Rome to Airport--Explicit Instructions

Cruisepm

I am planning a cruise for this May. After the cruise, we are spending a couple of days in Rome. I need explicit instructions on how to take the train from the Termini Station to FCO airport. How much time should I allow? We will be catching a flight back to the States.

I am planning a cruise for this May. After the cruise, we are spending a couple of days in Rome. I need explicit instructions on how to take the train from the Termini Station to FCO airport. How much time should I allow? We will be catching a flight back to the States.

You probably would be most pleased if you used the high speed "Leonardo Express." These nice trains (with plenty of room for luggage) run every 30 minutes with no reservations. You simply go to the Termini Station, and buy your ticket from one of the vending machines or the ticket office. I believe the cost is 14 Euros per person. They depart from Termini at 23 and 52 min past every hour (even guaranteed to run during strikes) and take about a half hour out to the airport. For a flight back to the states you should plan on arriving at FCO at least 2 1/2 hours (we like 3 hours) before your flight. If you are flying a US airline operated flight from FCO you will probably need to make your way to the dreaded Terminal 5 to check-in for your flight. This will mean a little extra time since you must go outside the airport terminal and catch a shuttle bus (Terminal 5 is somewhat remote from the other terminals).

I should have mentioned that train tickets (unless you purchase an online e-ticket with an imprinted train time) must be validated before you board a train. You simply insert your ticket into a validation machine which imprints a time/date stamp on the ticket. Failure to validate can get you a nasty fine from the conductor so do not forget. The validation machines are either near the platform entrance or sometimes on the platforms.

Hank

Hank and I disagree on the qualitative aspects of the Leonardo Express, but it is fast and convenient.

Tracks 23 & 24 at Termini are the two furthest to the right (as you face the tracks) in the main part of the station.

You can read the details about the LE here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f12f3bf7c819a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

And get lots of detailed information about Termini Station here: http://www.romatermini.com/en/un-nuovo-volto-per-roma-termini/

I would plan to arrive at FCO no less than three hours prior to your flight, because the wait for the shuttle bus from T3 (where you'll arrive from the airport train station) to T5 might be only a minute or two, or it could be a half hour.

Typical flights to the States leave early in the morning, which might mean a REALLY early train. The first LE of the day arrives at FCO at 6:23; if your flight is earlier than 9:30 AM I'd be considering alternatives.

Remember that a taxi to the airport is a fixed fare of 48 Euro and takes you right to the door of the T5 terminal. The train fare for two people would be 28 Euro, so the taxi is quite a bit more, but I'd seriously consider it.

Just be prepared for carrying luggage up & down stairs. The ticket machines are in English but if you try to buy a ticket at a ticket counter you had better speak Italian. Last year a group of eight from our cruise were going to take the train from Termini to civitavechhia, got on the train going the wrong direction, missed the ship, and had to make their own arrangements to get to Sicily.

It's more money to get a cab or van but I don't think it's worth the hassle. Your hotel can make arrangements at a reasonable price for you. Or, stay at the Airport Hilton - free bus service into Rome & free shuttle (couple of minutes) to the airport departure area.

Dennis

Just be prepared for carrying luggage up & down stairs. The ticket machines are in English but if you try to buy a ticket at a ticket counter you had better speak Italian.
Neither of these are an issue when traveling by train from Termini to the airport. The only steps are the couple up into the train. There are dozens of ticket machines in Termini, which have an English language option, and no one in their right mind would wait on line for the ticket office. At the airport there are escalators, elevators, and ramps so need need to worry about steps.

I just finished reading a thread on Trip Advisor from a couple (honeymooners, I think) who had taken the Terravision bus FROM the airport to Rome with no problem. But when they took the Terravision bus back TO the airport for their return flight, they got stuck in traffic and were late getting to the airport. While their flight had not yet left, check-in had closed for their flight and they ended up having to stay an extra day and pay an extra $2000 for return tickets.

Considering the distinct possiblity of bad traffic in Rome, I would not use the bus or a cab to get back to the airport (unless I were giving myself half-a-day to do it.) Take the train--it's easy, cheap and doesn't have to deal with "traffic".

True, the train doesn't have to deal with traffic. However, let's not act as if an hours long traffic jam is normal, it's not. I've gone to FCO by road (car and bus) more often than most and I've never encountered the kind of traffic that would make me miss a flight. I suspect the honeymoon couple didn't leave early enough to begin with (regardless of how they tell the tale now).

Here is what a fellow traveller has posted. You couldn't ask for more. .. From the travel Guru GeoligistGene.

I have been in Civitavecchia several times; the last couple of trips were in May and October. You are right about the steps. Upon arriving in Civitavecchia to get from the platform for the arriving trains from Roma Termini there is a short tunnel to get under two tracks from the over to the station and out the front door. Such an underground passageway is termed a sottopassaggio. You go down steps and back up on the station and street side. It is not assured, but often you can find a fellow traveler to help to get down and back up the steps with your luggage.

Once you are in the station near the street there are no more steps all the way to the entrance gate where you have to catch a free shuttle bus to the ship. To get to this entrance gate walk out the front of the Civitavecchia station, turn right and walk straight for about a half mile walk to the pier gate which is across from McDonald’s at the city center. The walk is along the promenade or hotel row. I stay there sometime, maybe this time too. Yes, there are taxis if you wish. Negotiate the price first.

For the newbies:

Many of us take also take the special direct train (Leonardo di Vinci express) from FCO the main international airport for Rome. I can’t remember any steps for that route. Once in Roma Termini there are no sottopassaggio. Like many larger stations in Europe the train pulls in head first to the dead end of the tracks in the middle of the station. The trains can do this since the end of the train usually consists of an engine pointed the other way. When leaving later, the train doesn’t back out. The engineer walks to the opposite facing engine back there and simply heads out.

To exit in Roma Termini and in most other large stations you step off the train (maybe a couple of steps there) and follow everyone else into the middle of the station, no sottopassaggio needed.

The FCO to Roma Termini airport express train cost 14 Euro (Euro is singular and plural). It departs every 30 minutes. For more information go to the following link: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=99eb7bd0cfdea110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

The platform for the airport train also pulls in head first into Termini parallel to the other tracks and on the left side at Platforms (Binarios) 23 and 24. However, its tracks on stop a few hundred feet short of the rest. You may be tempted to exit outside over there, but do not. Keep walking forward or right forward as if the tracks continue and you will soon see the main tracks.

Walk through the waiting area with all the departure boards a little further to the ticket windows or ticket vending machines.

When walking past the departure time boards note the local time posted on the electronic or flip board. The times in for European trains are always using the 24-hour notation. For example, 0900 would be 9am and 1400 would be 2pm. Also there are several large poster-size paper yellow board here and at most stations in Europe. The shows the departure times and the departing platform or binario often abbreviated “bin.” Look down the yellow board to the current time and, obviously, pick later time and train for Civitavecchia. It may be on the route to Pisa, which is printed first. Stops like Civitavecchia may be in smaller print. The trains out there are approximately every hour. Also note if the trains are operating on Saturdays (6) and Sunday (7.) The schedule for those days may be similar but without a few of the trains running.

Most of the trains out to Civitavecchia are listed with an “R” for the older, second class only Regionale trains. Every few hours there is a nicer inter-city train, IC, that has both classes and reserved seats. It will almost certainly be the Pisa train. The mid-morning train is the IC from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia. I think it leaves at 9:40am and arrives in Civitavecchia in 50 minutes. I took it in May and it cost 14 Euro at the last minute from a machine. Now there is even a Frecciabianca bullet train at about 8am, noon, and 1:30pm but on those old tracks it may still take the same time as an IC. The Regionale trains to Civitavecchia for about 7 or 8 Euro are okay for most travelers for the hour-long journey. I usually take these unless they are crowded due to a bunch of ships being in port. Then you have to stand up and there is no AC on an R train.

After deciding on your train, buy your ticket out to Civitavecchia in Termini from a vending machine just past the waiting and board area but before the shopping mall-like halls. There is an English option on the machine as noted by the British flag. I think the machines accept Visa, MasterCard and Euro cash. There are currency exchanges nearby inside the station if you need some Euro. The rates are not good unless you do $100. Like most vending machines in Europe they often do not accept American Express.

After you have your ticket Return to the posting board and waiting area after buying your ticket. Look at large electronic or flip board to note the updated information including the actual platform and time. The platform numbers are obvious. Before getting on the train you must stamp (validate) your ticket in one of the little orange, yellow or green and white boxes to avoid a fine. It date stamps your ticket so it cannot be used again. Buon viaggio

Train Schedule for Roma Termini to Civitavecchia on Sat + Sun, October 26, 27 (sailaway day)

Time Depart Arrive Type Train and Online Price (info directly from Trenitalia)

0742 0901 Regionale (Online prices for R are not posted but may be less than 8 Euro)

0810 0852 Frecciabianca from 9 Euro

0829 0950 Regionale (6 not 7, Sat. not Sun.)

0912 1020 Regionale (6 not 7, Sat. not Sun.)

0940 1030 IC#35406 10.5 Euro secco class to 14E for prima classe

0945 1101 Regionale (6 not 7, Sat. not Sun.)

1012 1113 Regionale Veoloce (fast)

1045 1101 Regionale

1112 1227 Regionale

1141 1301 Regionale (6 not 7, Sat. not Sun.)

1200 1240 Frecciabianca from 9 Euro

1215 1314 Regionale Veoloce (fast)

1242 1400 Regionale

1329 1407 Frecciabianca from 9 Euro (207pm, Rush if Sunday.- board by 4pm)

1345 1501 Regionale (6 not 7, Sat. not Sun.)

Note: the train schedule in Italy changes sometimes, check the electronic or flip departure boards

In standard European format the day, month, year, i.e. Nov 3, 2013 is 03-11-13

To go to the approximate TrenItalia site page for late October click to the following and edit the dates and times.

https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/search.do?parameter=searchOutputViewer&jSessionID=udjKTrDvFv4j

RailEurope.COM also sells train tickets for Italy but not for this far in advance.

-GeologistGene

Diamond Plus

ddmac58:

Often there are questions about validating train tickets in Italy. It can be confusing.

Most Italian train tickets purchased from the ticket window or vending machines require validation (stamping or Convalida) in a machine on the platforms in the station. They reason that an unstamped ticket might be used again. I have gotten instant fines twice in Italy when I forgot to validate a ticket just purchased.

Certainly any ticket with an arrow on the end and the word "convalida" printed above it requires validation. It includes all of the inexpensive Regionale train tickets. Regionale tickets are not train specific and are usually valid on another R train to the same destination for 24 hours if not yet validated. Once validated R tickets are usually are good for 6 hours to complete the journey. So you can hop on an off. I do this in the Cinque Terre area sometimes to visit several villages if I am not hiking. I buy a ticket to the furthermost village.

Usually a ticket with a seat reservation does not require stamping. However other tickets without a specific date, time, and seat assignment may require validation. Ask if you are unsure.

A ticket purchased online with a seat assignment and printed out by you probably does not need validation. Your paper would probably clog the validation machine. If in doubt find a conductor-looking person when you first get on the train and ask.

Even the tickets for certain special trains need validation. The Leonardo di Vinci airport express train from Roma FCO to Roma Termini is good for 3 hours after you validate it. So, you can even validate it and skip a few trains if you have to wait for friends to collect their luggage. Those trains run every 30 minutes.

Typically a ticket with a required seat reservation for a faster trains such as IC, ES, ESCity, AV and newer bullet trains do not require a validation unless an arrow and “convalida” on the end of the ticket.

Validation is done by inserting the arrow end of the ticket into a validation box. They are usually strapped to a post or column on the platform or on a wall in the terminal. The newer ones are green and white. Older ones are yellow or orange. Push in the ticket as far as possible and in the direction of the arrow until you hear it whir and stamp. You may have to try it several times at first. Failure to stamp is usually because you didn’t push it in far enough.

One potential problem: On several trips I had to run to catch the train on the run and could not find a ticket validation machine. Holding out the ticket and doing a stamping motion with the other hand usually catches the attention of fellow passengers or TrenItalia employee and they point to a machine. No Italian needed.

If you have several separate tickets for a long journey, each ticket must be validated just before you board each. However, if you have only one ticket the validation is good for the entire journey.

On the train journey a conductor comes through and checks everyone’s ticket. There is no need to show a passport or other ID unless your ticket has a special fare, for example, a senior fare ticket. In some countries, including England, Spain and France you must have previously purchased a senior card and carry it and show it when you present the conductor your ticket. In some countries a senor card costs up to the equivalent of $100 so they may not be worth it for the occasional traveler. In May I purchased one in Spain for about 10 or 12 Euro and it instantly paid for itself with the Ave bullet train ticket I purchased immediately afterwards.

A couple of years ago I bought an online senior ticket in France. I had just turned senior and wanted to save a few Euro. The conductor caught me without the French senior card. I truthfully pleaded ignorance and showed proof I was a now senior. I got off with a warning. An adjacent French passenger said I was lucky since that usually doesn’t work with the conductor.

On long trips any ticket may be checked several times as the new conductors come on. Sometimes they don’t check tickets at all. Some R trains to Civitavecchia are so full at certain times they can’t walk through all the standing people.

Multi-day rail passes, such as Eurail passes, are not machine-stamped each time, but you validate them yourself day-by-day by writing in the date in the provided boxes in the lower left corner before your first train that day leaves. Also, previously you must have the Eurail pass validated to start it on or before the first day of travel. For that initial validation you stop at any ticket window. There they look at the pass and your passport and quickly rubber stamp it the pass to activate it to be used within the weeks or months allowed. Thereafter you write in the day the first time each day before the train moves out.

There are three new Frecciabianca bullet-type trains running from Termini to Civitavecchia daily before our cruise. I did not see them in May. I hope to take one of these on the 50 minute run to Civitavecchia for this cruise. The old tracks preclude it from going any faster than an IC, however. They are the third and slowest of the nice Freccia class of bullet trains. I note this name since you may see that word on some schedules. The beautiful Frecciabianca bullet trains to Civitavecchia depart Roma Termini about 8am, noon, and 1:30pm. Getting to Civitavecchia at about 1pm is an ideal time for a cruise without having to wait in the Windjammer or elsewhere for the cabins to be ready at the usual 2pm. Even arriving at the Civitavecchia station at 2:10pm should work if rush and have your RCL Set Sail pass printed out. Check-in just outside the ship is by 4pm and sailing is scheduled for 5pm.

I like to get to Civitavecchia earlier, however. McDonalds is just down the straight street maybe a half-mile easy flat walk from the Civitavecchia station. It is across the street from the pier entrance gate where there all free shuttle buses out to the ship all afternoon. Use McDonalds as landmark. It is a good toilet stop, too. Behind it is downtown Civitavecchia. Go early and consider it a port stop to look around, have a glass of Italian wine, a gelato, etc. The grocery stores there are a good place to buy the two bottles of wine or sparking that is allowed onto the ship the first day only.

Most shuttle or transfer bus from Roma or FCO airport drive out to the check-in room outside the ship. They have to drive past McDonalds and the port gate. If you arrive in Civitavecchia early (maybe before 11 or 12) and if luggage is not a major problem I would ask them to let you off there. There is a possible alternative way to deal with luggage if you continue out to the ship’s check-in. I am not sure if you could check in, drop off your bags, and take the free shuttle bus back to the port gate. It seems logical that you could. I’ve done it in other ports.

A word of caution: TrenItalia is the biggest employer in Italy. The workers have a strong union and they like to flex their muscle often just to show they can, so there are a lot of short strikes. Some a strike only last for hours or a day. I had to go to Civitavecchia from northern Italy a day early due to a one-day strike last October. If you ask a TrenItalia worker or at the ticket window they will usually tell you if there will be a strike and when it will end. They understand the word “strike.”

Buon viaggio!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-att-att_001&sz=all&va=civitavecchia+train+station&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001

http://www.mednavigator.wordpress.com

Archived