passport quandry

Clairescurtains

I've never heard that a notarized copy of a passport is good for anything. the OP will be fine with the current passport. Like a couple others said, the countries you cruise to do not check them. Those requirements are only for non cruising passengers.

Please read my post above. And I can assure you, I have been required, even in the last 3 months, to send a notarized copy of my PP.

For those who seem obsessed with the fact that I travel with a copy of my PP, please read this:

http://www.thereareplaces.com/infgdes/docs/lstpass.htm

If your travel plans have you departing the country soon you will need to provide the Consular Section with details regarding your departure schedule.

In order to continue your travels, you will need to complete a new passport application. Since September 11, 2001, embassies cannot issue new passports. Instead, you will be issued a temporary passport that must be re-issued when you return to the United States.

The officer at the embassy must be reasonably satisfied as to your identity. It is always useful to make a Xerox copy of the Passport Information pages in your passport and keep multiple copies with you while you travel (including one in your money belt).

Having a copy of your passports information helps expedite the process but you will have to provide:

1. Personal Data (including, but not limited to) :

• Your name • date of birth • place of birth • passport number (if available) • date and place where your passport was issued

Boy, some of you know how to focus in on a few words and cherry pick them, rather then read the entire post.

1) Never stated that I use a notarized copy of my PP for travel.

• I use notarized copy of my PP for something other then travel. It is required for my business.

2) It has been stated and is common knowledge that it is NOT necessary to cruise with a PP

• I cruise, several times a year, and always carry my PP as well as a notarized copy. When I am off the ship I keep the copies of our PP in another pocket/belt.

3) You threw a hypothetical question at me to try an justify what ever you believe.

• I would not be in the situation as the OP. Do to international travel outside of personal entertainment, I would not be in a position where I run the risk of not getting my PP.
  • But being that you gave me this hypothetical situation, I answered what I would do, which is travel with a notarized copy of my PP.

4) The countries we cruise to have embassies and relations with our state department.

• Traveling with a copy of a PP is just to add validity to whom I am and to hopefully make it easier to secure transportation back to US soil if the ship was not an option.
  • Obviously you can't travel under normal circumstances without a PP, but the governments do work with citizens in an emergency situation. To save time, aggravation and energy...it is wise to have a copy of a PP in case there is a need for emergency transportation back to the states.

To recap, I cruise with my PP. I also have copies with me when I cruise in safe keeping away from my hard copy. I would not cruise without a PP. BUT, if I were in some hypothetical situation where I found myself going on a cruise and did not have my PP, I would at the very least have a copy of my PP.

Is this not clear??

I read your post as you presented a notarized copy of your passport for boarding. My apologies for not fully understanding your post.

I read your post as you presented a notarized copy of your passport for boarding. My apologies for not fully understanding your post.

No problem. i use my government issued ID to cruise.

Keep my Passport in safe keeping in case an emergency arises and I need to ditch the ship and fly home.

I keep a copy, that happens to be notarized, in a hidden place on my person when I am in port. I also keep copies of my cruise paperwork. If I miss the ship and need to fly back to the US I have easy proof that I did not enter the said country illegally and thus saving time proving that I was on the ship. Also keep copies of everything in a secured business email account.

Like my first post stated, it is not a requirement just as a spare tire is not a requirement. But is eases my mind to know that it could speed up a process and lower the stress level in an unplanned emergency situation.

As far as needing a notarized copy of my PP, there are many situations where these are requested. My personal reason I am not willing to share.

Here are a few:

Filing for an overseas adoption.

IRS W-7 form.

Applying or extending a US work visa.

Just to name a few.

I have a quick question similar to the OP, DH & I have passports but they expire Feb '14, so I plan on sending them for renewal Dec '13, we sail end of March '14, with our children (who also have their passports), my question is , is this timeframe enough time to have our renewals processed?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Passport issuance does not take 3 months, so you should be able to get your new passport before the end of March if you submit it for renewal in December. However, is there some reason you are waiting until then?

I have a quick question similar to the OP, DH & I have passports but they expire Feb '14, so I plan on sending them for renewal Dec '13, we sail end of March '14, with our children (who also have their passports), my question is , is this timeframe enough time to have our renewals processed?

Under normal circumstances yes.

However with the government shut down and the US hitting the debt ceiling on October 17th, I would not mess around with waiting.

I would be uneasy dealing with the government at this point in time.

Passport issuance does not take 3 months, so you should be able to get your new passport before the end of March if you submit it for renewal in December. However, is there some reason you are waiting until then?

I was waiting because I know the new expiration date will be 10 years from the date processed and I have already paid for this time, as well as the fact that we live close to Canada (we are in Buffalo,NY) so we have to have a passport to cross the border. I know for the cruise we could just use our ID and birth certificate but we have always used a passport.

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll stick with my original plan.

Archived