Soda Package - Purchasing In Adv vs Waiting

jmak315

With all the talk about soda packages, I was wondering this:

I have read that if I pre-purchase online, the cup will be waiting in the room for me when we get on the ship. This is the only thing holding me back from pre-purchase as we plan on boarding early and eating lunch with which I would like to have a lovely Diet Coke and I have read that the room might not be ready until 5:00 or sometimes later.

So is there a way to get your cup when you board rather than waiting for the room to be ready if you pre-purchase?

There will be tables setup all over the place where you can buy the soda package on embarkation day and they will give you a cup when you purchase. You can even get this before you can get into you cabin which is generally around 1:30.

Also, you don't need the cup to get a drink. Your seapass also indicates that you have the soda package.

The first time we sailed on RCI we purchased the soda package on board and got a "sticker" on our sea pass card, that was so flimsy we almost lost it a couple times. In fact half way thru the cruise our DD's was in shambles. So we went to customer service and they put scotch tape on it instead of just giving her a new one:eek:

Now we purchase and pay ahead of time and it is permanently embossed on the sea pass, no need to worry of losing a sticker.

Sea Ya

With all the talk about soda packages, I was wondering this:

I have read that if I pre-purchase online, the cup will be waiting in the room for me when we get on the ship. This is the only thing holding me back from pre-purchase as we plan on boarding early and eating lunch with which I would like to have a lovely Diet Coke and I have read that the room might not be ready until 5:00 or sometimes later.

So is there a way to get your cup when you board rather than waiting for the room to be ready if you pre-purchase?

Cabins are ready between 1pm and 1:30pm, not sure where you are reading 5pm, that would be after the ship has already sailed, that information is not accurate.

If you prepurchase the soda package, the cup will be waiting for you in your cabin , but the coke symbol will be embossed on your sea pass. You can just go to any bar, show them your sea pass and get a diet coke. You will not be able to access the freestyle machines until you get your cup which activates them. It is really just a personal preference, we pay in advance so the symbol is embossed on our sea pass card. If you buy on the ship, they put a sticker on your sea pass, we have had those fall off when the sea pass card got wet. You can get it replaced but have to wait in line at guest relations.

In fact half way thru the cruise our DD's was in shambles. So we went to customer service and they put scotch tape on it instead of just giving her a new one:eek:

They're numbered and inventoried. Scotch tape is much simpler than paperwork and accounting.

Because we travel as a family, and always purchase a soda card for everyone, we wait until we board. The tables are always set up all over the ship and they always have one outside the Windjammer. Waiting gives us the ability to choose from the variety of colors and designs so that everyone is able to tell their cups apart. Turns out better for us.

Because we travel as a family, and always purchase a soda card for everyone, we wait until we board. The tables are always set up all over the ship and they always have one outside the Windjammer. Waiting gives us the ability to choose from the variety of colors and designs so that everyone is able to tell their cups apart. Turns out better for us.

There is only one cup to choose from if the ship has the freestyle machines. Maybe in the future they will add different designs like they did with the other cups but right now, it is a cup that looks like an old fashioned coke glass with a white design and a clear, screw-on top. The cups now say they are only good for cold beverages, which stinks since we liked to use them at home for our coffee to go.

It's also cheaper to preorder rather than order on the day

I think this is because they have to charge the local sales tax if you buy it before the ship gets far enough out to sea. The only time I bought the soda package I bought it online from home. The freestyle coke machine was awesome.:D

Denise

It's also cheaper to preorder rather than order on the day

Maybe it's different in Europe, but on US based cruises, there's no difference in price ordering on the ship vs ordering in advance.

My "Freestyle" cup from Explorer March 2013. Please excuse Gumby & Pokey. LOL

I think they give the disclaimer about hot beverages is because hot stuff can hurt the chip. So if you want to put coffee in it after you get home it's probably ok. I lost my cup while getting of the ship so I couldn't test it with coffee. Darn

Denise

1376969685_DSCN3389(2)(480x640).jpg.be25575d1f2566d8fa941468ad1d1a29.jpg

Edited by DKNYC

What other drinks are in the soda package are there any other sugar free sodas available we don't drink coke

If you are on a ship with a Freestyle machine, there are over 100 choices of sodas. If you don't have a Freestyle machine, there may not be much else besides Diet Coke. Some people have reported asking for Diet Sprite and getting a Sprite Zero in a can, but that is not guaranteed.

If you are on a ship with a Freestyle machine, there are over 100 choices of sodas. If you don't have a Freestyle machine, there may not be much else besides Diet Coke. Some people have reported asking for Diet Sprite and getting a Sprite Zero in a can, but that is not guaranteed.

So how do you know if your ship is going to have a freestyle machine? I have not found anything on the website.

So how do you know if your ship is going to have a freestyle machine? I have not found anything on the website.

As per Royal Caribbean's blog this Answer from Adam Goldstein (CEO I think) on Oct 3, 2013.

Adam3rd October, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Hi Felicia – Currently the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines are available on Majesty of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, and Enchantment of the Seas. Have a wonderful trip

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/coca-cola-and-royal-caribbean-introduce-freestyle-machines-onboard/

Edited by DKNYC

We will be on the adventure of the seas my next question is does that have a freestyle machine also what's the daily rate for the soda package

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forums mobile app

I believe it's $6.50/ day for adults and I think $4.50/ day for children under 18. Of course you have to add 15% gratuity to that.

Machine is not on Adventure yet I'm afraid. Sorry

Denise

Edited by DKNYC

I'd buy after boarding, takes about 30 seconds. Sometimes sales tax does apply until you leave port, I would think if it does it would also apply to pre-ordering?

The right answer is to do what makes you happy, the differences are minimal. Enjoy your cruise.

I pre ordered my pop pass for the first time last time and it was great it was in my room by 1pm.. I didn't have my pop cup for my first windjammer session but they did give me diet coke from my sea passcard.. I liked the imprinted logo for once it wasn't falling off by day 3.. After that I never bugged a bartender again for pop I always used the free style machines they are wonderful

• 6 months later...

I just read a trip report where someone had major problems getting the cup after pre-ordering...not in the stateroom, steward called twice for it, no luck...two trips to guest services and a manager involved finally got the cup.

I am leaning towards pre-ordering but I dont want any hassle in getting my cup!

Give me your cup experience, was it in the stateroom when it should have been?

Edited by twindaddy

i prepurchased it for my son and it was embedded on his card with a cocacola logo , however we had to wait til after 1pm to get the cup which they keep in the room. he did get a first soda at the bar while coming in the ship right away. but he had to wait to use the freestyle machines. i guess i prefer its embedded on his card so it doesnt wash away in pools and such.

Edited by Harooni

i prepurchased it for my son and it was embedded on his card with a cocacola logo , however we had to wait til after 1pm to get the cup which they keep in the room. he did get a first soda at the bar while coming in the ship right away. but he had to wait to use the freestyle machines. i guess i prefer its embedded on his card so it doesnt wash away in pools and such.

Agreed, I just wanted to make sure it is usually in your cabin when it is supposed to be. I just read a trip report where it was not and getting it sounded like a major pain in the butt.

Agreed, I just wanted to make sure it is usually in your cabin when it is supposed to be. I just read a trip report where it was not and getting it sounded like a major pain in the butt.

yes it was in our room waiting for us after 1pm . but you never know they make mistakes. and surprisingly my son didnt misplace his card or cup the whole trip. lol