C&A Question...

OK. So, we took our first cruise last week, and I knew that I could not join C&A until we were on the ship - which is what I did. I did not even try to book another cruise because I had read how busy the loyalty folks are. Plus my wife did not express a desire to book another cruise until we were driving home...lol.

However, when I called to book, the RCI rep told me that we would not have been allowed to book while we were on the ship as we were not C&A members. Is this true? Do you need to be members before you board in order to book while on board? Or, could we have joined and booked while we were there? It is too late to make much difference now, but I was curious.

gee on our first cruise we booked our second so that's not quite true. what we did have to do was call back and have our C&A number attached/applied to the booking.

oh yeah and we joined while on board too... just filled out the pamphlet.

I will say we also had to call them and say: "yo! we enrolled but it's been 8 weeks so what's up!" turns out we had been assigned a number but were never emailed or snail mailed the information but it was on file.

oh yeah about a month later I got a lovely letter welcoming us to C&A with our membership #s.

OK. So, we took our first cruise last week, and I knew that I could not join C&A until we were on the ship - which is what I did. I did not even try to book another cruise because I had read how busy the loyalty folks are. Plus my wife did not express a desire to book another cruise until we were driving home...lol.

However, when I called to book, the RCI rep told me that we would not have been allowed to book while we were on the ship as we were not C&A members. Is this true? Do you need to be members before you board in order to book while on board? Or, could we have joined and booked while we were there? It is too late to make much difference now, but I was curious.

The rep gave you bad info. The whole purpose for joining C&A on board your first cruise is so you can book a future cruise (or purchase a NC cert) and get the OBC and reduced deposit. You should have been able to make an appointment with the LA, join C&A, and book a cruise right then.

OK...thanks. I told my wife she should have made up her mind a day or two sooner, so we could have gotten the OBC; we would not have gotten the reduced deposit as we booked another GS. I did not get this advice until after we were off the ship, so no harm. I just wanted to know if he was right or not

OK...thanks. I told my wife she should have made up her mind a day or two sooner, so we could have gotten the OBC; we would not have gotten the reduced deposit as we booked another GS. I did not get this advice until after we were off the ship, so no harm. I just wanted to know if he was right or not

well she owes you a drink at the bar of your choice when you embark on your next one for being wishy washy. and she is not allowed to use any of the coupons in the C&A book.

They did give you incorrect info. Don't feel bad we do the same thing we always say we are going to take a year off from crusing then a month or two later we decide to book another one :o

I have heard that if you call within two weeks of the cruise, they will still give you the onboard booking benefit.

Who knows where I read this? (it was on CC, but in what thread/context?)

They certainly did not mention this when I called. Maybe I will call back tomorrow to see. I booked the day after we returned :)

If you get a next cruise cert while onboard you pay the $100pp deposit. Does not matter what type of room you eventually book as that deposit stands even if you eventually book a GS. We have done this a few times now. Makes the cert all that more valuable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

If you get a next cruise cert while onboard you pay the $100pp deposit. Does not matter what type of room you eventually book as that deposit stands even if you eventually book a GS. We have done this a few times now. Makes the cert all that more valuable.

If you book a GS with only a $100 deposit, and they don't catch it initially, you could lose the stateroom. I've read of that happening. Best to pay the proper deposit and not risk a surprise.

They certainly did not mention this when I called. Maybe I will call back tomorrow to see. I booked the day after we returned :)

Yes--It is worth a try.

If you book a full suite [GS or above] you will need to pay a standard deposit. The $100 is only good below a full suite.

If you book a GS with only a $100 deposit, and they don't catch it initially, you could lose the stateroom. I've read of that happening. Best to pay the proper deposit and not risk a surprise.

Do you know if they might still offer OBC if I called? It's no big thing if they don't, but if they normally do this, I would like to take advantage of it...lol

Yes--It is worth a try.

If you book a full suite [GS or above] you will need to pay a standard deposit. The $100 is only good below a full suite.

Not true. I feared that but on all 3 times we have done this we have contacted RCI to confirm and anytime we have contacted for any other purpose would confirm. Always been told the ncc deposit holds the GS.

Do you know if they might still offer OBC if I called? It's no big thing if they don't, but if they normally do this, I would like to take advantage of it...lol

I don't know for sure. People have reported being able to book a NC certificate by calling C&A shortly after their cruise, but I think there may have to be some sort of extenuating circumstance. I tried once about 4 weeks after my cruise and they declined to sell me a Next Cruise cert.

I don't know for sure. People have reported being able to book a NC certificate by calling C&A shortly after their cruise, but I think there may have to be some sort of extenuating circumstance. I tried once about 4 weeks after my cruise and the declined to sell me a Next Cruise cert.

Well, it sounds like it may be worth a call. The worst they can say is no. I just did not want to call if this is never done :)

I found this on the Royal website [below]. But, it does not surprise me that passengers have been able to do different things. Consistency is not an RCL trait.:p

Q: Will the booking automatically cancel if the full suite deposit amount is not received?

A: Yes, bookings without full deposit will cancel.

Here is the breakdown of the on-board credits:

OBC From Booking On Board

$25 for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100 for sailings of 6-9 nights

$150 for sailings of 10-14 nights

$200 for sailings of 15+ nights

I found this on the Royal website [below]. But, it does not surprise me that passengers have been able to do different things. Consistency is not an RCL trait.:p

Q: Will the booking automatically cancel if the full suite deposit amount is not received?

A: Yes, bookings without full deposit will cancel.

In May, when we booked this past cruise (our first), the RCI rep only made me pay $250 pp deposit, and someone on CC informed me of this policy, so I called back the next day to increase our deposit. I did not want to lose our room, although in my case, I was completely newbie and if I had not been on CC, I would never have known about this policy. They really need to upgrade their systems to prevent this from happening.

OK, I got clarification on this when I called C&A. You can buy the NCC with only a $100 pp deposit, but when you name ship and date, you need to pay full deposit for GS and higher. He told me that each C&A member can buy up to three of these per cruise - I guess this would be useful if you cruise a lot or get multiple rooms, right? I cannot see us going on more than one cruise per year, as we do not have enough vacation time for multiple cruises...lol

OK, I got clarification on this when I called C&A. You can buy the NCC with only a $100 pp deposit, but when you name ship and date, you need to pay full deposit for GS and higher. He told me that each C&A member can buy up to three of these per cruise - I guess this would be useful if you cruise a lot or get multiple rooms, right? I cannot see us going on more than one cruise per year, as we do not have enough vacation time for multiple cruises...lol

The NCCs can now be transferred to another person, once, and only before you assign a cruise to the NCC. So you could buy some for multiple staterooms, as you suggest. They don't expire, so no time limit, but the $100 cost is non-refundable.

I have heard that if you call within two weeks of the cruise, they will still give you the onboard booking benefit.

Who knows where I read this? (it was on CC, but in what thread/context?)

An update on this too. The C&A rep I talked to said that they would give me an exception to buy one NCC for the one booking we made since we got back, seeing as it was made only days after we returned. But, I would need to wait till my C&A numbers came in. As soon as they do, he told me to call back. He also suggested that I look at changing my upcoming 8 day next Thanksgiving to a 9 day so I could reach Platinum. I am not sure that will be an option for us, as we booked Thanksgiving in anticipation of my son's school holidays. On the other hand, I think the ship will be overflowing with children during this week...lol

Archived