An Interesting Price Comparison Question

Would be interested to hear your comments/responses in relation to why there is such a large price difference in these two cruises.

Cruise 1. Hawaii, Tahiti & Sth Pacific (Round trip from Sydney) - 35 days - 13 ports other than start and finish - April 2015 - Interior from $6,209.

Cruise 2. Andes & Cape Horn Grand Adventure (Beunos Aires to LA)- 31 days - 13 ports other than start and finish - February 2015 - interior from $3,681.

That is a massive difference and only 4 days longer for Cruise 1.

I am aware that there is a suggestion that the prices for cruises, round trip from Australia, include gratuities built in but that would only account for approx. $350/$400.

An interesting comparison for discussion.:)

Firstly, cruise lines charge what they can. :) Maybe the second cruise is cheaper because everyone would have to pay for an international airfare. A lot of Americans are reluctant to take long flights.

The Hawaii/Tahiti cruise is a regular with Princess and prices usually come down to not much more than $100 pp pn closer to the date.

Its these differences in the daily rates (in your examples $177 compared to $118) that frustrate me as well. I'm looking at a 20 day Princess cruise to PNG/SW Pacific next August at around $155 per day - why is it so more expensive than say your average daily rate for NZ or other Island cruises at around $110 per day for the same cabin category.

Is it supply/demand? Don't know - the cruise I'm looking out seems to have plenty of vacant cabins. Gratuities, port charges & Govt taxes don't explain it either. Oh well may just end up booking it anyway, but will hold off a while to see if it drops a bit.

Its these differences in the daily rates (in your examples $177 compared to $118) that frustrate me as well. I'm looking at a 20 day Princess cruise to PNG/SW Pacific next August at around $155 per day - why is it so more expensive than say your average daily rate for NZ or other Island cruises at around $110 per day for the same cabin category.

Is it supply/demand? Don't know - the cruise I'm looking out seems to have plenty of vacant cabins. Gratuities, port charges & Govt taxes don't explain it either. Oh well may just end up booking it anyway, but will hold off a while to see if it drops a bit.

That cruise Princess is doing up to PNG is a new itinerary so they probably priced it accordingly. Cruises to NZ/Pacific Islands are dime a dozen with all lines doing them.

That 31 day Princess cruise is the South Amercian one I believe. Its the airfare that the killer. I have looked at it a couple of times cause the 17 day leg of the two is really cheap.

that cruise you are looking at hasnt been done for about 4 years so it should be popular and the price has dropped in price, if you booked with princess or someone else that honours price drops in case the price drops further or it could go up too

• 4 weeks later...
that cruise you are looking at hasnt been done for about 4 years so it should be popular and the price has dropped in price, if you booked with princess or someone else that honours price drops in case the price drops further or it could go up too

Have been watching the price for the PNG cruise since I booked back in early October, and prices for an interior jumped today by around 10%!!

Thought it was sort of expensive at $155 per day when I booked, but now at around $176 per day, there is a lot better value to be found elswhere for those considering this trip. Hopefully there may be a price drop down the track as we are still 300+ days out..

Archived