Vnp closed....what else to do at Hilo port

Geronamo79

Just a few things:

Drive up to Akaka Falls

Drive to Honokaa and sample some malasadas at Tex Drive-in (yummy!)

Drive to the Waipio Valley overlook

There was a touristy Macadamia nut farm in the area, but I can't remember where it is (sorry).

I wish you were staying overnight - I'd recommend you go up to the Visitors Center on Mauna Kea. You can drive up that far in your rental car. Stargazing at night is amazing. There are telescopes set up at the center at night so you can get in some good viewing. If you bring your own hot chocolate mix, they will provide the hot water!!

We are on the POA next week and are now looking for things to do while at port in Hilo. We did plan on doing VNP on our own so we do still have our rental car for the day. What are the other top things to do?

Do you or anyone else know of any other National Government sites that are closed due to the "Shut Down"?:( We have excursions booked for several places in Hawaii including Hilo at the end of the month. Is Pearl Harbor open???

Thanks in advance.....

For POA passengers, the three National Parks on the Kona side will be closed (City of Refuge, Heiau, and the Fish Pond). Hulihee Palace will probably be open.

Lapahoehoe (along the Hamakua Coast) has a very small museum focused around the train.

(Hilo)

Tsunami Museum

Lyman House

Queen Lilioukalani Gardens

Boiling Pots

Rainbow Falls

If you are there on a Wednesday, the Palace Theater has a organ concert and Hawaiiana performance

Farmers Market

This will also include Haleakala on Maui (closed).

I am not sure about the shuttle for Pearl Harbor. It is operated by the Navy. I know that the USS Missouri is doing a special presentation to take up the slack.

http://metrooahu.hawaiinewsnow.com/news/community-spirit/231893-battleship-missouri-memorial-announces-special-tour-access-during-federal-government-shutdown

I am so sorry that some of the great sites of Hawaii will be closed for your visit.

The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens & the drive to it along Onomea Bay is a highlight. It's not a formal garden, more like a hike through a rainforest with fantastic vegetation. In the lower part of the garden, there's a beautiful view of Onomea Bay. I would combine that with Akaka Falls for a great day in Hilo.

Punaluu Black Sand Beach. It's about an hour drive, but if you have a rental car it isn't bad. It's out past Volcanoes National Park. Spend some time there. It is very beautiful and peaceful. There was a food truck there when we went. Sometimes there are lots of turtles (we only saw 1). Bring a towel or chair and some good shoes- that sand is HOT!

If heading south stopping at the Orchid Farm is interesting, so is Volcano Winery.

Also if you drive to the end of 130. park, get out and walk. If lava is flowing this is a viewing potential. Also you get a stark look at a buried community.

We arrived in Hilo on Oct 1 -- the first day of the shutdown. We picked up our rental car but plans to visit Volcanoes National Park had to be changed. Thank goodness I had lugged along guidebook information!

We went south on Route 130 and east on Route 132 to Lava Tree State Park, then continued eastbound on Route 132 to Route 137 south. We stopped along the highway to scramble around some large mounds of a'a (rough) lava and snap some pictures. There weren't places for larger vans and buses to stop so we had the place to ourselves. Next stop was MacKenzie State Recreation Area for some great scenery. Just remember to stay off the part of the cliffs that doesn't have pine needles -- it's clean because rogue waves occasionally wash up onto the rocks.

After that, we headed west until Route 137 ended at a lava flow. There was a cute little cafe (food was pretty good) and some other touristy businesses as well as an area of pahoehoe (smooth, ropy) lava that we could hike across to the ocean cliffs. There are a whole bunch of new palms growing in the area -- evidently it is traditional for locals to bring a coconut to the site when visiting.

Then it was time to detour to Route 130 north back to Lihue, with a stop at the Mauna Loa Macadamia plant for a self-guided tour.

I still want to go back to see Volcanoes National Park sometime, but the itinerary above worked to tide us over until the next time we can get to Hawaii.

Archived