Does O try to resolve flight problems?

BarbaraB2

We are scheduled to fly to Rome on October 18 to board the Marina on the 19th. We just learned that Italy is having a transportation strike on the 18th and it appears all flights and public transportation will be nonexistent. Since we purchased the air through O, will they work to change our flights? The airlines are refusing to do anything at this point.

Has anyone had experience with O under similar circumstances? I know that when you book air with other cruiselines, they claim to help work things out.:confused:

We are scheduled to fly to Rome on October 18 to board the Marina on the 19th. We just learned that Italy is having a transportation strike on the 18th and it appears all flights and public transportation will be nonexistent. Since we purchased the air through O, will they work to change our flights? The airlines are refusing to do anything at this point.

Has anyone had experience with O under similar circumstances? I know that when you book air with other cruiselines, they claim to help work things out.:confused:

Oceania does help those clients who purchased Air through them, and even (if the problem is significant enough) those passengers who just plain need help.

They were particularly magnificent regarding flights which were disrupted by that volcano in Iceland. It was as if money were no object at all.

Do a search in this forum to read specific examples.

Oceania does help those clients who purchased Air through them, and even (if the problem is significant enough) those passengers who just plain need help.

They were particularly magnificent regarding flights which were disrupted by that volcano in Iceland. It was as if money were no object at all.

Do a search in this forum to read specific examples.

Great! I will do a search before contacting O.

Yes. We were at the airport all checked in and heard about a strike in Paris the next day - we were changing planes. If we landed in Paris they said with the Air France strike it would be two days after the ship sailed before we could leave Paris.

It was after hours for my travel agent but called her emergency line. We were on Regent who is the same air department and there were passengers flying to meet an Oceania ship the same day. We all got our flights changed to Swiss Air - a 6 hour delay but we were going in a day early anyway.

October 18, 2013

Alitalia Cityliner pilots, 24 hours.

ENAV (Air traffic control) 1 to 5 p.m.

Milan airport staff, 24 hours

General strike: includes trains, 24 hours starting at 9.01 p.m. the 17th, air travel 24 hours, local public transport 24 hours with rush hour exceptions determined locally, ferries to the main islands from 1 hour before first departure, to lesser islands 24 hours. The unions are ( OO.SS. USB, COBAS, CUB - ADESIONE O.S. USB LAVORO PRIVATO ), which are not the main unions; impact is uncertain.

If you are scheduled to arrive on the 18th then I would contact your TA or Oceania ..now

The strikes in Italy usually only last the day they are scheduled ;)

If strikes last only the day they are scheduled, then if you leave the 18th and arrive the morning/day of the 19th, then it shouldn't be an issue.:confused:

If strikes last only the day they are scheduled, then if you leave the 18th and arrive the morning/day of the 19th, then it shouldn't be an issue.:confused:

We are scheduled to leave on the 17th and arrive on the 18th. I called Oceania and was told it would cost us approximately $500 per person to change now but if we wait until the strike is called, they forego the charges. At this point the effects of the strike on International flights are questionable.

October 18, 2013

Alitalia Cityliner pilots, 24 hours.

ENAV (Air traffic control) 1 to 5 p.m.

Milan airport staff, 24 hours

General strike: includes trains, 24 hours starting at 9.01 p.m. the 17th, air travel 24 hours, local public transport 24 hours with rush hour exceptions determined locally, ferries to the main islands from 1 hour before first departure, to lesser islands 24 hours. The unions are ( OO.SS. USB, COBAS, CUB - ADESIONE O.S. USB LAVORO PRIVATO ), which are not the main unions; impact is uncertain.

Thank you for this. I did see it online but

I don't understand the difference between air travel (24 hours) and air traffic control (1-5 pm). Are they two different things? How does one impact the other?

We are scheduled to leave on the 17th and arrive on the 18th. I called Oceania and was told it would cost us approximately $500 per person to change now but if we wait until the strike is called, they forego the charges. At this point the effects of the strike on International flights are questionable.

I would just wait & see but be prepared to leave on the 16th or 18th :)

I have seen this happen before & O changed the flights to arrive on a different day of the strike

Thank you for this. I did see it online but

I don't understand the difference between air travel (24 hours) and air traffic control (1-5 pm). Are they two different things? How does one impact the other?

I think air travel refers to the airlines themselves, in this case Alitalia, unless other airlines strike in sympathy:confused:

I think air travel refers to the airlines themselves, in this case Alitalia, unless other airlines strike in sympathy:confused:

I wrote to the ministry of transportation and this was their response; however, I don't understand the last line. What's your take?

the only one that can give you any information on strike, 5 days before, is the air company, the airport company or ENAC.

We can say to you that trade unions who have called the strike are autonomous and have a relative representativity

I wrote to the ministry of transportation and this was their response; however, I don't understand the last line. What's your take?

the only one that can give you any information on strike, 5 days before, is the air company, the airport company or ENAC.

We can say to you that trade unions who have called the strike are autonomous and have a relative representativity

Wow confusing or what!:eek:

I think the Italian government do not know what will happen? They are saying ask the airline,the airports or ATC.

I read somewhere that the unions involved are not the major unions. They may be striking independently of other unions.

Wow confusing or what!:eek:

I think the Italian government do not know what will happen? They are saying ask the airline,the airports or ATC.

I read somewhere that the unions involved are not the major unions. They may be striking independently of other unions.

I think you are correct. I just received another email from the major ATC union, the ENAV. They said they could only discuss strikes that they were involved with and referred me to the strike that was scheduled for earlier in the month. This leads me to believe that, at this point, the ATC are not striking. Do you agree?

I think you are correct. I just received another email from the major ATC union, the ENAV. They said they could only discuss strikes that they were involved with and referred me to the strike that was scheduled for earlier in the month. This leads me to believe that, at this point, the ATC are not striking. Do you agree?

Well it certainly looks that way:confused:

The article that I read and quoted from stated that the ATC were on strike from 1.00pm until 5.00pm (long lunch:p).Perhaps in Italy there are more than one ATC union:eek:

Archived